Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Accelerating Supercars

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500
    I was just showing CdocZ that there were cars built which were even faster than 10.7 1/4 miles.

Yeah, the classics aren't current cars, they're just faster!
    Of course there are...

Ultima GTR - standing 1/4 mile on a rather crap concrete runway on street tyres and GPS timing:
    10.5 @ 140mph

They reckon that at a properly timed strip that would be 10.3

According to their website that is an official world record time.
    Thanks for all the fish

Remember, though, that all of the cars in that list are production cars with stock (not modified) engines, and could be street-driven.

The world's fastest super stock car is also the Hemi-Mopars... the fastest of these are running in the high 8s.
    The Dauer 962LM runs a 9.2 stock. That's street legal (in the USA, not necessarily all countries though). Production will be 50 units, 13 of which currently exist.

Sorry, I mis-remembered the time the Venom got. It is 8.93, the dyno sheet is below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ
    Sorry, I mis-remembered the time the Venom got. It is 8.93, the dyno sheet is below.
    Unfortunately that was neither a production car nor was it street-legal (slicks).

Still awesome though

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    The Dauer 962LM runs a 9.2 stock. That's street legal (in the USA, not necessarily all countries though). Production will be 50 units, 13 of which currently exist.
    What's the list price? $800,000 or so?
    Let's see if it's added to the list.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Unfortunately that was neither a production car nor was it street-legal (slicks).

Still awesome though
    If he's quoting the Hemi-Mopars, they were production cars. The 8.93 is the time in the super stock class- some modifications allowed but no nitrous or superchargers. They ran 10.40-10.50 from the factory.

I'm talking about Hennessey Venom's, which have turbochargers and nos. Ridiculously fast, yet, as Egg Nog reminded me, not exactly the most legal car ever made.

What's the list price? $800,000 or so?
    Let's see if it's added to the list.
    Hey, I was close... price is $853,473.
    http://www.rapidcars.com/962lmspecs.php

The Hemi-Mopars were actual production cars, because the average person could walk in off the street, go into the dealer, and order one (at a price of about $4,500). With the sky-high price of that 962 thing, it could hardly be called "production" if it's not available to the general public (because of its ridiculous price).

Hey, I was close... price is $853,473.
    http://www.rapidcars.com/962lmspecs.php

The Hemi-Mopars were actual production cars, because the average person could walk in off the street, go into the dealer, and order one (at a price of about $4,500). With the sky-high price of that 962 thing, it could hardly be called "production" if it's not available to the general public (because of its ridiculous price).
    So if an average person can't afford it, it's not a production car? Now there's a strage twist in definition. By this guideline, 95% of all car performance records ever are pretty much bunk.

If I told you the Dauer was an American car, you'd be all over it

Cut the car some &$*(@ slack - it can go around corners, too.

Let's put it this way... the '68 S/S Mopars were the fastest *affordable* production, stock muscle cars ever.

Those super-expensive ones should be considered exotics since the average person could not only never afford one, but will probably not even SEE one!

That goes for the 4th place Ferrari Enzo, too. I mean, come on... $652,000! "Slightly" overpriced, I would say (but typical of European cars).
    The '69 ZL-1 Corvette could accelerate just as fast (well, faster) at about 1/100th the price!
    Last edited by Fleet 500; 03-28-2005 at 08:00 PM.

Cut the car some &$*(@ slack - it can go around corners, too.
    At that ridiculous price, I would be afraid to drive it in public. I can just see some bozo running a red light and smashing into the door or something.

And, for $800,000+, I can modify the S/S Mopars to run 7 secs!

At that ridiculous price, I would be afraid to drive it in public. I can just see some bozo running a red light and smashing into the door or something.

If you were that rich, you would live 500 miles from the nearest light, and your estate would stretch nearly that far

The point is how fast it goes, that's what this thread is about. If you want to re-define what we're arguing about, start a new thread. Our history of going off-topic is probably best kept away from this one

Of course it's too expensive! Of course nobody in their right minds would ever buy such a car! Of course you could modify and American car (or any car for that matter) to be faster for the same price! Of course the entire concept of this automobile is completely heinous!

But the fact is that the 962LM production car runs a 9.2 second quarter mile, and there's nothing else to it as far as this thread is concerned.

BTW, I've seen a few people here list 0-60 mph times as the basis for accleration. While it is a helpful measurement, the 1/4 mile is usually the official way of rating a car's performance. 0-60 mph only shows a car's low-to-mid range performance.
    actually the OFFICIAL way would be take the Torque vs rpm chart and apply gear ratios with air resistance, officially

But the fact is that the 962LM production car runs a 9.2 second quarter mile, and there's nothing else to it as far as this thread is concerned.
    ten bucks says i can make a mini clear that distance with 10 kilo's of c4 and a huge blast wall and some train rails

Thread Information