Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Accelerating Supercars

Its interesting to note the only "supercar" people seem to be mentioning is the Dauer
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Its interesting to note the only "supercar" people seem to be mentioning is the Dauer
    The S7 (TT specifically) has been mentioned, and a whiiile back the Mclaren F1 was mentioned. you are right though, it is wierd how few other cars are being mentioned.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500
    Let's put it this way... the '68 S/S Mopars were the fastest *affordable* production, stock muscle cars ever.

Those super-expensive ones should be considered exotics since the average person could not only never afford one, but will probably not even SEE one!
    Ehhh Ultima ~ £70,000 IIRC.

Not exactly "cheap" but there are a lot of people out there who could easily afford one if they chose.

I wouldn't consider a Merc SL55AMG, Porsche 911 Carrera, BMW 760 etc which are in the same price bracket "exotic".

That goes for the 4th place Ferrari Enzo, too. I mean, come on... $652,000! "Slightly" overpriced, I would say (but typical of European cars).
    The '69 ZL-1 Corvette could accelerate just as fast (well, faster) at about 1/100th the price!
    Only "overpriced" if you consider it in terms of slightly modifiyed versions of cheap, mass produced cars.

When you consider the very small production run of 400 cars, the full carbonfibre monocoque, carbon kevlar body work, highly engineered engine, transmission, brakes, suspension etc, and all of the development costs bundled in with that it tends to be a bit more pricy than sticking a bigger engine in an existing car.

Can you tell me... are there 1/4 mile races and strips in Europe, and if so, since when? The 1950s maybe?
    Drag racing is rather popular in Northern Europe and Scandanavia.

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Ultima GTR?
    0-60 2.7s
    0-100-0 10.3s
    Top speed (recorded) 204mph
    Top speed with a longer runway (by gearing) 230mph
    640bhp
    575lb ft
    990kg

Certainly sounds like a supercar...
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Ehhh Ultima ~ £70,000 IIRC.

Not exactly "cheap" but there are a lot of people out there who could easily afford one if they chose.

I wouldn't consider a Merc SL55AMG, Porsche 911 Carrera, BMW 760 etc which are in the same price bracket "exotic".

Only "overpriced" if you consider it in terms of slightly modifiyed versions of cheap, mass produced cars.

When you consider the very small production run of 400 cars, the full carbonfibre monocoque, carbon kevlar body work, highly engineered engine, transmission, brakes, suspension etc, and all of the development costs bundled in with that it tends to be a bit more pricy than sticking a bigger engine in an existing car.

Drag racing is rather popular in Northern Europe and Scandanavia.
    But the subject was the Dauer, not the Ultima.

I agree, I wouldn't call them exotic, either, Very expensive, yes, but not exotic. I would consider "exotic" to be above something like $200,000 and up.

I don't care how much "carbon body work" or how highly engineered the brakes and engine are, a car that costs more than a good-sized house (like 5-6 bedrooms) is ridiculous and way overpriced.

Really, drag racing is popular in N. Europe & Scandanvia? I'm kind of surprised to hear that.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Drag racing is a very American sport.

The first strip in the UK was Santa Pod in the mid 60s.

As it was on an ex US base and was surrounded by US bases it wans't a solely UK decision to start the sport

"standard" is for the US, but just like the "world Series" it isn't

Personally I think it's because we are steeped in a tradiion of road and track racing where multiple skills are needed in the designers, pits and driver. Drag has less breadth of skill needed and a real PEAK in engine build. It also reflects I think the US sports where there is action for 30 seconds and then a break for a minute and then another little spurt of activity - and THAT from an NFL fan too

Dart anyone ? ....
    The mid-'60s? That's pretty good considering, as you said, that drag racing is a very American sport.

There are, of course, many other forms of auto racing which is popular in the U.S. NASCAR, for instance. And the Annual Toyota Grand Prix held in Long Beach, Calif.

About that Dart, no thanks. I'd rather have this one:
    BTW, unfortunately, much of the cars that end up in wrecking yards are through owner-neglect or on-the-road collisions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't care how much "carbon body work" or how highly engineered the brakes and engine are, a car that costs more than a good-sized house (like 5-6 bedrooms) is ridiculous and way overpriced.
    Hmmm.

So you think that if a company has spent, say, $500,000 on materials, engineering and development and man hours building a car they should then sell it at $20,000 because it might be "overpriced" otherwise?

The McLaren F1s selling at £600,000+ per car with 60 odd road cars (the rest were race cars, and probably more than £600,000), that is at least £36 million.
    And they still made a loss.

So the cars were worth more than £600,000.

You might consider that a car worth that much isn't really neccessary or relevant, but it isn't "overpriced".

Now, a Corvette C6 selling at £50,000 when it is making a profit for GM selling at $50,000 - that is overpriced.

About $40,000 overpriced to be exact.

Really, drag racing is popular in N. Europe & Scandanvia? I'm kind of surprised to hear that.
    Why wouldn't it be?
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    The Dauer 962LM runs a 9.2 stock. That's street legal (in the USA, not necessarily all countries though). Production will be 50 units, 13 of which currently exist.
    Are you sure? they still build them? i though only 10 existed.. if that's true thoose are very good news

I love that car!
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Hmmm.

So you think that if a company has spent, say, $500,000 on materials, engineering and development and man hours building a car they should then sell it at $20,000 because it might be "overpriced" otherwise?

The McLaren F1s selling at £600,000+ per car with 60 odd road cars (the rest were race cars, and probably more than £600,000), that is at least £36 million.
    And they still made a loss.

So the cars were worth more than £600,000.

You might consider that a car worth that much isn't really neccessary or relevant, but it isn't "overpriced".

Now, a Corvette C6 selling at £50,000 when it is making a profit for GM selling at $50,000 - that is overpriced.

About $40,000 overpriced to be exact.
    My Cadillacs last just as long (and most likely longer) than $500,000 cars.
    Is it really necessary to price a car at one-half million dollars, when a house costs the same? Yes, I think they are way overpriced.

Is it really necessary to price a car at one-half million dollars, when a house costs the same? Yes, I think they are way overpriced.
    You are doing it again:

Picking a word and making up a meaning for it. You did it with "Insurgent".

Overpriced: price a thing too highly.

If that "thing" is a car, the actual value of which is several hundered thousand dollars, and it is priced about that value - that cannot possibly be "overpriced".

Even something like an SLR or CGT won't be making vast ammounts of profit over a production run of 1,500/3,500.

Fair enough - you don't think there is a place in the world for cars of this price, but the ammount of materials and man hours that are present in those cars are worth that much.

If a company like Ferrari, making a few thousand cars a year, make a car worth $500,000 they are going to go out of business very quickly if they don't sell it at that price.

So yes, it can be neccessary to sell a car at that price.

The Corvette is overpriced. Surely it cannot cost GM $40,000 to transport a car to Europe, change the headlight angles a bit, retune the ECU for the differing fuel etc.

It has nothing to do with longevity, so I don't know why you are using that as comparison.

Do you think a house, a pile of bricks and concrete, can be worth $500,000?

The house I am living in at Coventy was bought for about $20,000. A terrace house with three bedrooms, living room, kitchen, bathroom and a garden.

You can't get a single bedroom appartment for less than ten times that back home "dahn Safff".
    Thanks for all the fish

well when u buy the house ur mostly buying the property its layed on, when you buy a car you're buying the research and development crash testing and all that crap, which is part of the reason why i think its so stupid to buy an suv, all of the development costs are designed to make it stop rolling over and they keep rolling over

These days I think (at least in California) many cars and houses are overpriced.

OK, sell your hosue in San Fernando valley for the same price per square foot as they guy in Detroit.

NO ? Why not ?? It's just a house.

Ah is the concept of VALUE getting through now ??

The reason the Corvette is "over-priced" here is the same reason luxury Eureopan brands are "over-priced" in the US. It's market forces, if they can sell it at inflated prices they will chose to do so and maximise their profits.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Hey Fleet, what tires were the American 1/4 mile beasts running?

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    Hey Fleet, what tires were the American 1/4 mile beasts running?
    Slicks I think.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Slicks I think.
    Yes, they were delivered with 9-inch slicks.
    Here is a rare photo of a pack of these cars at the waiting for purchase after being delivered.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information