Thread: Sony got Sued!!

Sony got Sued!!

I just saw this:

Court rules against Sony in Immersion patent case
    Rob Fahey 09:56 23/09/2004

Dual Shock drops Sony in hot water over tactile feedback patents

A federal jury in the USA has found in favour of technology firm Immersion Corporation in a case taken against Sony two years ago, agreeing that the PlayStation's Dual Shock controllers infringe two Immersion patents.

The case focused on US patents 6,275,213 and 6,424,333, which cover "haptic feedback" - specifically, the use of computer-controlled vibrating motors to provide tactile feedback to the user of a program.

Immersion filed suit against both Sony and Microsoft for infringing these patents in early 2002, and settled out of court with Microsoft in mid-2003, with the Seattle-based giant paying the company $26 million to license the technology, and buying a portion of the firm in the process.

Sony's decision to fight on in the US courts turned out to be the wrong one this week, as the jury found in favour of Immersion in the case, and while no final judgement has been filed in the case, Sony has been ordered to pay $82 million in damages.

A number of post-trial motions and potentially appeals are expected to be lodged in the coming weeks, and Immersion has already begun rattling legal sabres, saying in a statement last night that it intends to ask the court for a permanent injunction against Sony.

This would effectively prevent the firm from selling any more Dual Shock controllers, although of course the real outcome here will be that Sony licenses the technology from Immersion, as Microsoft has done.
    How does it take you 2 years to find out that sony and microsoft have been using your products in there controllers?

Source: http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=4558

Sony and microsoft: the most evil corporations to date?

i just heard about it over the radio-dont Immersion realize it could have made more money of of this by licencing rather than sueing
    Don't bother me, I'm probably working while posting...

UCP's biggest...oh man...i got nothin'

Quote Originally Posted by CHEESE-TACULAR
    i just heard about it over the radio-dont Immersion realize it could have made more money of of this by licencing rather than sueing
    Sounds like that's what sony is going to do. Microsoft already has.

good cause dats messed up
    Don't bother me, I'm probably working while posting...

UCP's biggest...oh man...i got nothin'

Quote Originally Posted by CHEESE-TACULAR
    dont you realize they could make far more by doing both, which is what they did with microsoft and mill most likely do with sony?
    [url]www.spenserheaps.smugmug.com[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by carlover
    How does it take you 2 years to find out that sony and microsoft have been using your products in there controllers?
    it didn't take two years, it took that long for lawyers to find the actual infringement that they could make their case one.
    Sony and microsoft: the most evil corporations to date?
    um, stuff like this happen all the time I don't know why there was a exclamation mark in the thread name (or why the thread was made at all)...
    Quote Originally Posted by gameindustring.biz
    and buying a portion of the firm in the process.
    ahh the wonders of publically traded companies
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

Quote Originally Posted by d-quik
    it didn't take two years, it took that long for lawyers to find the actual infringement that they could make their case one.
    Ah.
    um, stuff like this happen all the time I don't know why there was a exclamation mark in the thread name (or why the thread was made at all)
    More importatnly, why are you on an online forum?
    Besides, microsoft is commonly refferred to as the most evil corporation ever. Maybe sony has plans for fighting back.

Did you really beat anorexia? It doesn't look like it...

Besides, microsoft is commonly refferred to as the most evil corporation ever.
    I don't know what type of creatures you hang out with but i never see it "commonly" reffered to as the most evil company ever.

and i am on an online forums to uh...annoy you more""
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

This won't be the only sue on Sony. My inside info has it that Sony has just bought the rights to the AFL live Series games from Acclaim after they went Boom.
    But a local Australian Developer guru who makes the game has been working hand in hand with a Xbox Site. On making the game. Now here is the problem. Sony as they do will make it there console exclusive only. And xbox may sue they have helped guru develop the game and this will be the thanks for it
    Could be some legal action if the game is PS2 only.

Just for any that are lost Guru is a Australian game developer. They have made AFL live 2003-2004-2005. Acclaim would market it till they went under last year.
    Now Sony have bought the game from acclaim.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by d-quik
    I don't know what type of creatures you hang out with but i never see it "commonly" reffered to as the most evil company ever.
    Haven't you ever heard people who say everytime something goes wrong with there computers that it's all Bill Gates fault?

...I wonder if they new Nintendo did this way back in the late 90's with the N64? It wasn't built in, but it was the same idea..

Thread Information