Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attention Musicians ,Help out a Bassist!

Attention Musicians ,Help out a Bassist!

I am looking for a new electric bass guitar, my current one is a dean edge one (begginers bass) but i put DR Phat beam strings on it so its pretty badass. I am looking for a nice Five string bass to challenge my self, not sumthing really midrangey, i enjoy my low end, so maybe a mahagony body? Also I would prefer a neck through design. Does Any one have any suggestion? ANy one know what the hell im talking about? Btw my range i up to $500 (MAX) and i am willing to buy used. Also im willing to try passive pickups, mine are active right now tho.

Heres an example of what im going for, but its to expensive
    here
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by kko; 04-09-2005 at 06:21 PM.
    < 1 - 2 - to the bass >

you want bottom end equipment on purpose? get a squire bass i guess

if you will buy used then check around places like guitar center and stuff

i am looking for new pickups for my strat also, so any reccomendations would be good too
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Im a bassist, so i want it to sound like a bass should, so lots of lows.

Thats tone just so ya know

MP, soap box style or jazz pickups?
    Last edited by kko; 04-09-2005 at 06:39 PM.
    < 1 - 2 - to the bass >

here is the one im saving up for, might be a bit pricy though

bass

i havent been able to find a price for it yet
    pondering things

yeah, never mind about the 57, its $1,900 usd
    pondering things

Lol my teacher has one of those, and one thats set up just like jamersons! its so badass.

As far as fenders tho have you ever played one of their fives? Do they feel good. Im looking at their American Jazz bass five, looks ok.
    < 1 - 2 - to the bass >

Quote Originally Posted by kko
    Im a bassist, so i want it to sound like a bass should, so lots of lows.

Thats tone just so ya know

MP, soap box style or jazz pickups?
    my bad man, i thought you meant low end in the market, not low notes, yeah that will all depend on tuning the stirngs and string gauge, not the bass itself, usually 5 or 6 strings have anothe high string, not an extra low stirnf

i want either some emg's or seymor duncans, for rock and classic rock

Im a bassist as well and I own two carvin basses. If you havent heard of them before they are pretty sweet. They are all custom basses and you buy them directly from the factory so you save a lot of monbey since there is no middle man. You might be able to get a 5 string for $500 but im not sure. I got a bblue 5 string from them for $600. It is neck-through-body and string-through-body, and iut has a passive pickup similar to the ones found on a fender jazz bass, as well as an active humbucker that is just like the ones on ernie ball music man's. I also own a fretless 5 string with all sorts of options, but that cost quite a bit more. Carvin basses are just as good as any of the other high-end companies like warwick, kensmith pedulla, etc, but they are a lot cheaper. Look them up on the net. I wouldnt buy an ibanez if i were you, unless you were willing to spend the extra cash for one of their top of the line models. My first bass was a 5 string ibanez soundgear with active pickups and it was a piece of crap.

Thanks GTface ill lookin to that, what was crappy about the sound gear, i have heard only good things so far. And MP im not talking about the market or the pitch im talking about the tone.
    < 1 - 2 - to the bass >

right i know now, i was confused, you said your first bass was a starter bass and your new one you dont want to be too high end, i thought you meant market, but now i know you mean tone

A bass! Check out Yamaha's RBX range, they are great. Ibanez do some really nice ones, like the EDB (I think), which has a great body and sound.

If you want some fat low notes, try a Boss Super Octave OC-3 pedal- can be used with guitar and bass, and sounds 'the biz', so to speak...

If you can find one on eBay, I highly recommend an American Deluxe Fender Jazz Bass- I own a couple of the Deluxe guitars, and they are beautiful instruments. I have played the Jazz one, and it sounds a treat. Find one if you can.

Thanks man i was looking at the deluxes, Never heard much about those yahmahas, but i do have a yamaha guitar wich is pretty nice.
    < 1 - 2 - to the bass >

Quote Originally Posted by kko
    Thanks GTface ill lookin to that, what was crappy about the sound gear, i have heard only good things so far. And MP im not talking about the market or the pitch im talking about the tone.
    Soundgears are just very cheap basses. They are like the squires of ibanez. i have no idea what they are made out of but am pretty sure they dont use any kind of quality wood. The tone of the soundgear just didnt have any life to it. Its sort of a difficult thing to explain i guessbut if you were to play abass like that and then play a more expensive bass like a warwick or ernie ball or any high-end bass like that you could tell the difference. Ibanez does make some very nice basses, but they are very expensive like just about any nice bass will be. Of course we are talking about electric instruments here, so the quality of the wood and the construction of the instrument are not going to make nearly as big of a differnece in the tone as they would with an acoustic instruments. A lot of it has to do with setup also and electronics. If you get a cheap bass, have it setup really well and install some really nice pickups you could probably get a good tone. I have just been really happy with my carvin basses so i usually recommend them. They are just so many options with those, since you can have them built to your own specifications.

The bass i metioned in my first post is mahogany with neck through, doesnt sound like asquire, and thats a sound gear Thanks for your help.
    < 1 - 2 - to the bass >

Thread Information