Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bunch of numpties want Top Gear banned

Bunch of numpties want Top Gear banned

Bunch of Berks at "Transport 2000 - The national environmental transport body" have set in motion an underhand campaign to skew the results of a survey commissioned by the government into the type of programming that is funded by the license fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Transport 2000
    Here is a chance to make a concerted effort to send the BBC`s Top Gear programme, that mouthpiece for car fanatics presented by chief petrolhead Jeremy Clarkson, to the scrapheap.

The BBC is inviting viewers to have their say on the future of the BBC. Although the consultation is ostensibly about commenting on the Green Paper and future options for the role and governance of the BBC, it provides an opportunity to comment on programme content, for example:

... To call for more balanced reporting on transport, ie putting the environmental/social angle, and for the BBC to play a higher profile role in educating the public about sustainability issues, for example the contribution of transport to climate change.

... To call for `motormania` programmes such as Top Gear to be scrapped on the grounds that they glamorise speed and the use of vehicles with high fuel consumption.

Campaigners argue that Top Gear has a number of key faults:

•It glamorises speed and fails to make the connection with danger on the roads.

•It encourages an obsession with unnecessarily powerful and therefore heavily polluting cars.

•Through use of Jeremy Clarkson as presenter, with his distinctive image, it is in danger of encouraging a ‘yobbish’ attitude on the road.

•It does not focus enough, if at all, on responsible driving, ‘greener’ cars, road safety or the need to cut car journeys and use alternatives where possible.

•Through its recurring ‘macho’ themes of speed and power, it fails to include the interests of most women in its programmes.

Transport 2000’s suggestion is for a new programme, perhaps called Third Gear, devoted to encouraging responsible motoring based on less environmentally damaging cars, considerate and safety-conscious driving, and exploration of alternatives to the car.

The on-line questionnaire can be filled in at:

http://www.bbccharterreview.org.uk/h...stionnaire.doc

Alternatively, email your comments to

[email protected]
    Feel free to contact either of those addresses to let them know that this campaign exists and that any data that looks suspiciously skewed should be ignored.

Also feel free to contact either of those addresses to let them know that you enjoy Top Gear's current format.

You can also contact Transport 2000 and let them know what a pathetic bunch of effluent they are.

I don't particularly like Transport 2000's ideas but do I set up campaigns to have them banned?

No.

Should Transport 2000 be allowed to attempt to get things banned just because they don't like them?

No.

Not the official Transport 2000 website.
    Last edited by Coventrysucks; 04-09-2005 at 02:37 PM.
    Thanks for all the fish

Can I email one of those addresses and let them know how I really feel about them?
    "The thunder of 1001bhp would send a sonic boom through his carbon fibre shell, crack it in half and leave a wet puddle on the fancy leather seat."

•It encourages an obsession with unnecessarily powerful and therefore heavily polluting cars.
    Isn't that what makes the show so awesome? Yes I think it is.

would it be exciting to watch programmes like 'how can you drive nicely for other drivers and enviromental friendly'? well that'd be a catastrophy. i bet its a bunch of some idiots who don't know a thing about cars
    12 cylinders or walk!

top gear rocks, whoever doesnt like it is either too opinionated or just a general asshole who doesnt get the humour of english men.

F***ING BA**ARDS! Its a friggn TV programme not an as*ing educational programme. Cookery programmes influence the use of knives which can be used for murder .. better ban that too hadnt we? Its meant to be for entertainment, not to teach us sh*t like that. We hear enough of that on the news for gods sake. This is the government trying to spread propaganda basically because they are too bone idle to teach people through other methods. Basically theyre banning us from watching fast cars .. to hell with it, theyre gonna have to ban F1 too, that promoted more dangerous and faster driving.

edit: cleared
    pondering things

Someone pass me me my gun because I'm about to set on a mission to put a hole through ever single Transport 2000's member's head. I love that show and even though it is not shown in Canada, I still download the episodes because I think they're awesome.

But can anyone tell me what's the difference between Top Gear and Fifth Gear. Sorry for the noobish question.
    "To control 800 horsepower relying just on arm muscles and foot sensitivity can turn out to be a dangerous exercise."
    Michael Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf03
    Someone pass me me my gun because I'm about to set on a mission to put a hole through ever single Transport 2000's member's head. I love that show and even though it is not shown in Canada, I still download the episodes because I think they're awesome.

But can anyone tell me what's the difference between Top Gear and Fifth Gear. Sorry for the noobish question.
    5th gear is the version made purely for Channel 5. It used the old Top Gear format and old presenters. Its basically the less entertaining side show of Top Gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Bunch of Berks at "Transport 2000 - The national environmental transport body" have set in motion an underhand campaign to skew the results of a survey commissioned by the government into the type of programming that is funded by the license fee.
    DAMN THEM!!

Feel free to contact either of those addresses to let them know that this campaign exists and that any data that looks suspiciously skewed should be ignored.

Also feel free to contact either of those addresses to let them know that you enjoy Top Gear's current format.

You can also contact Transport 2000 and let them know what a pathetic bunch of effluent they are.

I don't particularly like Transport 2000's ideas but do I set up campaigns to have them banned?

No.

Should Transport 2000 be allowed to attempt to get things banned just because they don't like them?

No.
    i will surely email them

... To call for more balanced reporting on transport, ie putting the environmental/social angle, and for the BBC to play a higher profile role in educating the public about sustainability issues, for example the contribution of transport to climate change.
    what!?!?.. the whole point in top gear is to show how great motoring is, we dont want it fooked up with shitty things like prius'

... To call for `motormania` programmes such as Top Gear to be scrapped on the grounds that they glamorise speed and the use of vehicles with high fuel consumption.
    can you imageing if top gear was "the how to drive your car properly and now with info on emissions show" wouldnt have the same ring to it. i mean 5th gear has stuff on there about normal cars but its just nota s good as top gear, im sure that matra wont agree with me there for one reason

Campaigners argue that Top Gear has a number of key faults:

which is why they always test the cars on the test track, and when they do get shitty cars like the prius / hyundai accent on there they take them on the road and do proper road tests

thats like saying if you have alot of money you shouldnt be allowed to buy a nice expensive fast car because it pollutes the world. does this mean that they are also gonna try and stop companies like TVR, ferrari, lambo pagani ? retards!
    •Through use of Jeremy Clarkson as presenter, with his distinctive image, it is in danger of encouraging a ‘yobbish’ attitude on the road.
    as clarkson says himself he is a fourty something guy with a bit og a podge most 40+ year olds do have one

•It does not focus enough, if at all, on responsible driving, ‘greener’ cars, road safety or the need to cut car journeys and use alternatives where possible.
    BOLLOCKS!

•Through its recurring ‘macho’ themes of speed and power, it fails to include the interests of most women in its programmes.
    have you ever seen the number of women in the studio, usually way outnumbers the number of guys

Transport 2000’s suggestion is for a new programme, perhaps called Third Gear, devoted to encouraging responsible motoring based on less environmentally damaging cars, considerate and safety-conscious driving, and exploration of alternatives to the car.
    haha ok as long as it doesnt replace TG and they do a comparison to see which is most popular
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Ive emailed them.

Ive brought up several points such as the reviews that give the veiwer advise when they come to life threatening situations ( like when they did the drive into a lake review ) giving us advise on how to get out of your car alive, etc, etc...

I think Top Gear is a great programme. I love their sense of humor.
    The best thing in this programme is that they are showing dreamcars. I mean, where else can I see McLaren, Gallardo, Maybach, Phantom (to name just a few)? On a parking lot in front of supermarket, or maybe in driving school?
    (BTW: Imagine Stig testing some car on a track and Jimmy saying something like this:
    "Right now Stig should accelerate going out of that corner, but he won't, because the excesive amount of gas fumes created by it could kill up to three and a half fully grown
    llamas and besides who would want to endanger his life by going over 40 mph.")
    I just hope Jimmy Clarkson hears about it asap and that they will make a whole episode (or two) about those idiots from Transport 2000.
    Write five of your favourite cars in your signature.
    1. Ascari KZ1 2. Maybach Exelero 3. Pininfarina Birdcage
    4. Aston Martin DB9 5. BMW M6
    My ride: '97 Kia Sportage

We should ban all news channels because showing bad things like murder incourages people to blow other people's brains out.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

i think we should make a poll on ucp. (whoever thinks this is a stupid idea).

And then show them the link.

Quote Originally Posted by UCR
    i think we should make a poll on ucp. (whoever thinks this is a stupid idea).

And then show them the link.
    I think we don't have to make a poll.
    95% think this a stupid idea.
    4% think this is a stupuid idea, but they were drunk, so they've hit the wrong button.
    1% statistical error.
    Write five of your favourite cars in your signature.
    1. Ascari KZ1 2. Maybach Exelero 3. Pininfarina Birdcage
    4. Aston Martin DB9 5. BMW M6
    My ride: '97 Kia Sportage

Thread Information