Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man who snapped up TVR may go for MG!

Man who snapped up TVR may go for MG!

Man who snapped up TVR may go for MG
    By Jon Ashworth

THE Russian financier who owns TVR, the Blackpool-based sports carmaker, is the obvious candidate to buy MG, according to industry commentators.

Nikolai Smolensky, who says that he has “always been a fan of British car manufacturing”, bought TVR last July for an undisclosed sum.

The list of candidates queueing to buy MG is short. MG does not fit with British marques such as Morgan and Caterham, but Mr Smolensky may want to add to his portfolio. Alternatively, MG could be bought by a consortium of businessmen.

As an “affordable sports car”, MG competes with mid- market models made by Mazda, Fiat and others, and it is unlikely that groups such as BMW would want to take it on.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...565480,00.html

Ahhhh Damn!!

Now if MGs started to become like TVRs Mmmm, 385bhp ZS.

he's in for a shock when he realises how SHIT mg is. He'll lose money if anything, which in turn could affect TVR. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as long as nothing effects TVR then go for it id love to see the typhon engine in a RWD ZS
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

If he starts dividing his time between two companies both of them will be screwed.
    Thanks for all the fish

now he should sell TVR to Gordon Murray who wanted to buy it originally.

Hasn't this guy done a lot for TVR in the short time hes been running the show? Maybe he could save MG, unless you guys are saying that MG is too far gone.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver
    Hasn't this guy done a lot for TVR in the short time hes been running the show? Maybe he could save MG, unless you guys are saying that MG is too far gone.
    He can't "save" MG. No one can.

He probably could, if he wished, buy the rights to the MG name - but no one could just "take over".

Rover don't own the rights to their engines anymore - they sold them to the Chinese - so it would be very difficult to continue building the current range.

There is no factory, Rover sold that aswell, no work force, etc.

You would have to start completely from scratch - brand new factory, brand new work force, brand new cars. That would require a huge ammount of time and effort, and I don't think anyone involved with TVR would be very happy with their boss nipping off to do something else mid-rennaisance.

Fanciful speculation, I feel, and nothing more.
    Thanks for all the fish

I think that Peter Wheeler and Lee Noble should club together and buy MG. That would be one seriously tasty recipe for success!!!

Let Rover die for a while,
    Someone should buy MG, as Vtec said, Noble, Wheeler, or Murray, then get Stevens to design up a new car and there sorted.

We seem to be forgetting the SV-R

Agreed ROVER is dead all the cars were getting old

BUT it woudl be nice to see MG survive with a nicely priced middle of the road sportscar for middle-aged moms and a beast like the SV-R

The question is could MG have a one-model saloon/hatchback car and sell based on competiton in rally super16000, dtm and btcc ?????
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    If he wants it, more power to him.

Maybe a good jolt up top and an infusion of cash would help MG, too.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    BUT it woudl be nice to see MG survive with a nicely priced middle of the road sportscar for middle-aged moms and a beast like the SV-R
    The SVR is safe .. it is built by Xpower so isnt affected much by this MG Rover fiasco. Thats what Autocar said this week when the tested the SVR anyway. Im sure if the SVR did go out of production though, the current owners would laugh their asses off because their cars had just become far more rare .. which means far more value

But I agree, Noble and Murray would make the ideal TVR and MG team .. in my opinion they are the most experienced sportscar engineers on the planet. If only Peter Wheeler hadnt gone into retirement .. together they could have built a vehicle more spectacular than the Mclaren F1.

I was just wondering, do you think Jackie Stewart and the British Racing Drivers Club would get involved with reviving MG Rover? Or is their field limited to only to motorsport? I heard earlier the government put a few million towards MG Rover .. obviously they still have hope.

There goes the neighborhood.
    To me it rolls like this:
    A doctor takes care of a high maintenance, but generally healthy patient, and then assigns himself to a dead one, trying to revive him as the other slowy fades into oblivion. Hooray.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

hey
    it sez 4 an undisclosed price up the top
    just thort id tell u i heard $15mil and he had $100mil
    plenty left 2 'revive' mg if needed
    tvr r the most beautiful cars in the world

Thread Information