Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Radar Detectors

Good Radar Detectors

We've all seen them and many of us being who we are have probably fallen victim to them, Speed traps. Apart from doing the speed limit the best way to counter/avoid speed traps and the odd cruiser is to purchace a radar detector. So, which is a good one that is reasonably priced? I had an ancient one for a while that did diddly squat so I rid myself of it. Now I want a new one but I'm on a budget. I've heard wonders about the Valentine One and a friend owns one so I've seen it in use but I'm not prepared to shell out a whopping $600 CDN for one. What should I get? What should I aviod? What do you use or endorse? Tell me. Thanks. Oh and if anyone is a Canadian lawyer or Police worker what are the legality issues with radar detectors?
    "If you feel like you're in control you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

arnt those illegal in the states??
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

I'm not sure the Valentine One is shipped from the states though so I'd assume not.
    "If you feel like you're in control you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

radar detectors are legal in some states in the US. some states do ban them though. not sure about Canada though.
    as for mechanixfetch, i think ur best choice is to get a stolen valentine one !

i can ship it to you from Halifax if u want !!
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Radar detectors are legal in some states and provinces in the United States and Canada. I beleive that they are legal in most, and they are allowed for because of the "right-to-know" laws, which basically say that you allowed to know when radar signals are present, but you are not allowed to tamper with them. These laws are the reason why radar detectors are generally legal, but radar jammers are fully illegal. In Canada, they're legal in British Columbia, so we're all okay

As far as the cheaper radar detectors go (like the "fuzzbuster"), don't even bother. However, my friend (Nigel) bought a V1 before the winter holidays, and it's already found 8 or 9 traps (which would have caught him) well in advance. Those would've definately out-priced the cost of the detector, and he just bought it! If you ask me, it's an excellent long-term investment.

I've heard that the Valentine One is the best on the market, I've never used one or even been in a car where one was in use. Simple rule of thumb is to know the places you play and the places you pay.

If you do get caught speeding, it is easier than most people think to talk your way out of a speeding ticket or at least get it reduced, here's an excellent article here it's long but extremely entertaining if you don't mind the language.

I have a Road Angel, its 300 odd quid and comes with a thing to spot mobile sites as standard, if you go past a site which you think is an accident black spot you press the little store button and plug it into your pc when you have time and it will update the database with your settings then the new ones from it too. It works perfectly!
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Snooper S4

Quote Originally Posted by Suka
    I have a Road Angel, its 300 odd quid and comes with a thing to spot mobile sites as standard, if you go past a site which you think is an accident black spot you press the little store button and plug it into your pc when you have time and it will update the database with your settings then the new ones from it too. It works perfectly!
    Hi We're selling the snooper s4 for 305.00 inc VAT and delivery if your interested.

Speed Detectors UK

Quote Originally Posted by richard978
    Hi We're selling the snooper s4 for 305.00 inc VAT and delivery if your interested.

Speed Detectors UK
    In the UK there are now too many unmarked cars and bikes with videos.
    So no detector is guaranteed to protect you.
    The only/best way is to take the speed to where it belongs - tracks and stages.

The argument that you might forget where a camera is and you were only doing 5mph over the speed limit or didnt' see the limit signs just creates a scary picture..... Drivers making those mistakes shouldn't be on the road - the next poor observation could be a kid !!!!!

28 years driving and only been photo-graphed once - and I don't hang about.
    Got away with the photo too as my rear number plate had been damaged at Brands - long story
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I have a radar detector (one of the cheapest tho like U.S $60) And it does work pretty good, it tells me when a police radar is pointing at me and also when radio frequences are close (this can be from truckers too..)

I usually drive around the speed limit. But once I was running away from my friend's Mustang GT and luckily he got caught on a traffic light so I started going fast to get away from him (Because that beast eats my car) and my radar detected a cop, I hit the brakes untill reached the legal speed. He did stop me and said he caught me at XXmph but I was actually going XXmph + 13mph when my radar detected the cop.

The ticket would have been a lot worse if it wasn't for the radar.

I had a clean record for almost three years plus a police sticker that showed that I donated money to the police department.... But the cop didn't forgive me.. !@#$%&*&%(^%$#!#%$#^%$&#%^&%^&!@!

DON'T RUN

Just about the only places in the United States where radar detectors are NOT legal are the State of Virginia and the District of Columbia (Washington, D.C.).

I got a relatively cheap (Uniden) radar detector for my 18th birthday (1994) and I still use the thing. I can't count how many times it's saved me over the past ten years. I have been in a few situations (instant-on radar, etc.) where the detector was not able to provide sufficient warning. It's not as sensitive as it used to be, and I hope to replace it soon. Last year I installed another device, not often thought of, which has been far more effective at keeping me out of trouble on the highway: A CB radio. I don't know it it's the case in other countries, but in the United States, Citizen's Band radio is widely used by truckers, and they pass the work up and down the interstates about traffic, accidents, and the exact location of every speed trap and highway patrol car. Being able to listen in on this information has been great, when on the interstates I usually know the location of every patrol car for the next hundred miles.

Get your own back.
    Radar detectoors are illegal in Australia but I did use my mates on an interstate trip. I am not one to encourage dangerously high speeds in innappropriate conditions but 100kmh in the middle of Victoria on a straight empty road is ridiculous.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

So what exactly do these radar detectors do?
    boobs

Quote Originally Posted by bballmikey105
    So what exactly do these radar detectors do?
    Dice onions.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

I thought the better ones cleaned your house, i am waiting for my dads one to do my room, its a mess.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Thread Information