Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A little disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by QUATTRO MAN
    who cares most of the drivers are going to be 1st time drivers they are going to suck any ways, so let them drive what they can get,if they dont like it they can kiss your @ss,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    when I took my lessons in early 1967 I deliberately used an instructor that had a Fiat 124, which was the European car of the year in 1966. Other options were VW Beetles, Opel Kadett and such common stuff. The Fiat is still being produced today, although it is now named Lada
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    when I took my lessons in early 1967 I deliberately used an instructor that had a Fiat 124, which was the European car of the year in 1966. Other options were VW Beetles, Opel Kadett and such common stuff. The Fiat is still being produced today, although it is now named Lada
    1967!!? wow I wasn't born yet, well I know what your saying, but my school was my dad,,,, he taught me how to drive when I was 12 years old the old fashion way.
    Last edited by QUATTRO MAN; 04-29-2005 at 08:56 PM.
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

there used to be only one choice for a learner car, the corsa (the great car that it is !), but now it seems that practically any car is used. the most outrageous car i've seen someone learning in (that was a proper instructor) was a saxo vts! 120bhp in a learner car. where was he when i was learning.

Where I live now In Germany they use brand new BMW 3series... :O
    Pulling CV's

Look, be glad you got a Mini, my first driving lesson was in a Nissan Almera diesel, and yes an old generation diesel. I then continued driving with my mother's car while learning (BMW 320d for about 1 month and then a Merc E220 CDI, only problem with this is that I tend to drive my Clio like it's RWD now...).

Yeah, I guess. My point is that no Mini should be a diesel. I'm not against diesels in any way except where I think that they are inappropriate (the Mini being one case). In the same way, petrols are inappropriate in some cases (my friend's Land Rover Defender 2.2 [1985])...what's that all about? You NEED a diesel in a Defender.

Clivey, firstly done be dissapointed

i found out tonight that in just under 2 weeks on my first lesson that the car ill be using is a micra
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang
    Clivey, firstly done be dissapointed

i found out tonight that in just under 2 weeks on my first lesson that the car ill be using is a micra
    with a proper Renault diesel engine?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

with a proper Renault diesel engine?
    let's hope so

A proper diesel would be like the Land Rover Discovery our next-door neighbours used to have...it sounded like a tank was about to crash through the wall of our house whenever that thing started up! Now they have a Nissan Navara...which just sounds plain aggressive!

One of my classmates' stepdad has a Mitsubishi L200 Animal...I'm wondering about alternatives in the UK apart from the Navara...

OK, I don't know why I didn't post this earlier but we've had the car since late June and I am now learning to drive (or is that to pass an exam that bears no resemblance to the real world?) in it. I'll leave you guys to comment on this pic (I'll write a review on the car tomorrow and see if I can get some better photos inc. "Egg Nogging it")
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

astra diesels were really old generation ones, I am sure you will find the BMW engine to be quite different. The only thing with diesels is that you can shift earlier and still have abundant power available in the next gear.
    The diesel engine in the new Mini is sourced from Toyota.

the mini chassis is great, even in an underpowered form. i havent drievn a one, or a diesel, but any mini is a blast. hope you have fun...
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey
    the mini chassis is great, even in an underpowered form. i havent drievn a one, or a diesel, but any mini is a blast. hope you have fun...
    Oh yeah, the chassis is great. It's just the 75BHP motor that isn't. BMW fitted it with a six-speeder so it's just about bearable, otherwise I'd be begging them to fit a same-age petrol engine at it's next service!

Its probably easier to drive than what I'm learning in, a brand new 1.6 Ford Focus, its far too sensitive. I coughed. It stalled.

Thread Information