Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dedicated to Karrman/Prius

dedicated to Karrman/Prius

check this long term test out
    [url]www.spenserheaps.smugmug.com[/url]

Sounds to me like he's complaining that an economy car isn't a sports car.

Well, duh!

But it's also not living up to its economy car expectations. Its economy is only on par with a Golf or Jetta TDI, and it's not as fun to drive- not as versatile, either, it would seem.

In the end, you're paying a premium for the illusion of being better. Toyota seems to be able to capitalize on it though, so more power to them.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Well...if you're doing alot of round town driving, you're not gunna need the petrol motor much, and thats where it counts.

But most Americans do more highway driving than city. And their tests proved that in a typical style of driving, it doesn't pay off to drive a current Hybrid over a diesel.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

The mileage issue is really debatable as each excel in their own right, the Prius in town and diesels on long highway trips.

In terms of versatility, the Prius is a much more capable vehicle. I have driven several Golfs (all MkIV 2.0 petrols, a couple 2-doors, a couple 4-doors), a Jetta (MkIV diesel) and also a Prius (MkII) and there is just isn't not any comparison between them. The Prius is able to fit 3 decent sized people in the back quite comfortably but neither the Golf or Jetta are even remotely capable of this. Never mind the storage room in the Prius, which is enormous, especially with the rear seats down.

Most importantly, the Prius is a SULEV. It is not only has ultra-low tailpipe emissions but is only one of a couple super-ultra-low emissions vehicles. This means that it barely exhausts any harmful pollutants compared to a run-of-the mill petrol car. As anyone with eyes or a nose knows, diesels are awful polluters. You can even see the particulates coming from the exhaust when you step on it! Even regular Golfs and Jettas, with their somewhat primative SOHC engines are pretty bad in terms of emissions and particulates.

Interms of fun, both do 0-60 in about 10 sec, that is the Prius with CVT and Golf/Jetta TDI with a manual transmission. The Golf/Jetta TDI with the slushbox does 0-60 a little over a second slower. In terms of handling their is no comparison though (in favour of the Golf/Jetta). These are characteristic German-built, fine-handling machines and the Prius is a bit of a wallowing pig in comparison. It's suspension is set up much softer with a lot more body roll to give it a cushier ride. This is one area I do believe where the Prius is a bit of a letdown, as I feel the engineers could have found a lot better setup that had much less body yet still as smooth.

And finally (sorry for the rant!) America does not mean the world. In most everywhere but North America everything is much closer and people spend the majority of their driving in the city. "Typical driving" for one person in the US most definitely is not typical driving for all around the world.

P.S. I like the pic Quiggs...explodingdog.com is amazing!

WHAT AN IDIOT!!

god if you want a sports car, buy a Miata, not a Prius, If you want to save fuel, but a Prius.

and also the fuel economy depends on driving conditions and habits, if you drive like you are in the WRC, then you will get horrible fuel economy, if you drive like granny pokems, then you will get awesome fueleconomy, if they read any article about the Prius, they would of known that.

I want to punch the idiot who made this article because he has no idea what a hybrid is meant for.
    I have found a new love in the form of a tristar.

Having driven a Prius in the UK with the view to possible purchase I have to add a little balance.

He's NOT saying he wanted it to handle like a sports car.
    BUT it handles well short of a modern saloon and is in the class of Chrysler Voyager - not even near European MPV !!

In city the electric motor is only HELPING the petrol motor unless you only use the first inch of throttle and are happy to take 10 seconds to cross a junction after the lights go green.

Using BOTH power units and the acceleration isn't too bad for such a large vehicle - but the economy disappears

The carrying capacity makes a HUGE dent into the economy. Quizzing the salesman deeply he admitted that it's fine 2 up and 4 up is not better that others and go 5 up with luggage and the economy is worse than alternatives. THIS is the biggest drawback of the Prius. Oh and you can NEVER tow or carry heavy items - I asked about engine block in the boot Why ? Because the management computer has to make assumptions about when to use the petrol and electric and it isn't' up to the task for extreme weights. ( However we never got the Insight over here but as a 2-seater I also presume it was limited on carrying weight capacity )

When compared with a modern French diesel it is WELL short of all emissions capable AND fuel consumption !! Also, modern diesels on modern diesel fuels are NOT full of particulates THAT is a problem with your local market
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Why can only sports cars have good handling?

Why can't regular everyday cars have good, entertaining set-ups?

Excusing it because it "isn't a sports car" is very naive and narrow minded.
    Thanks for all the fish

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    I've been saying again and again and again....

For anyones goodness and proper health, Forget the Prius, Get the Civic (or Accord even if you want something big)

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Having driven a Prius in the UK with the view to possible purchase I have to add a little balance.

He's NOT saying he wanted it to handle like a sports car.
    BUT it handles well short of a modern saloon and is in the class of Chrysler Voyager - not even near European MPV !!

In city the electric motor is only HELPING the petrol motor unless you only use the first inch of throttle and are happy to take 10 seconds to cross a junction after the lights go green.

Using BOTH power units and the acceleration isn't too bad for such a large vehicle - but the economy disappears

The carrying capacity makes a HUGE dent into the economy. Quizzing the salesman deeply he admitted that it's fine 2 up and 4 up is not better that others and go 5 up with luggage and the economy is worse than alternatives. THIS is the biggest drawback of the Prius. Oh and you can NEVER tow or carry heavy items - I asked about engine block in the boot Why ? Because the management computer has to make assumptions about when to use the petrol and electric and it isn't' up to the task for extreme weights. ( However we never got the Insight over here but as a 2-seater I also presume it was limited on carrying weight capacity )

When compared with a modern French diesel it is WELL short of all emissions capable AND fuel consumption !! Also, modern diesels on modern diesel fuels are NOT full of particulates THAT is a problem with your local market

Most people here agree with what youve said Matra. We dont have the really good diesel Europe has yet (government legislation has it down for 2006) so barey anyone compares the hybrids economy to that of a diesel, but most of the comparisons are along the lines of Toyota having such a great engine with so much interior room, and having that all mean nothing with the crappy handling.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Prius
    WHAT AN IDIOT!!

god if you want a sports car, buy a Miata, not a Prius, If you want to save fuel, but a Prius.

and also the fuel economy depends on driving conditions and habits, if you drive like you are in the WRC, then you will get horrible fuel economy, if you drive like granny pokems, then you will get awesome fueleconomy, if they read any article about the Prius, they would of known that.

I want to punch the idiot who made this article because he has no idea what a hybrid is meant for.
    So, Karrmann, you're meant to drive a Prius at 5 mph letting go of the gas going downhill so you can actually get the full EPA rating and not break it? I don't think anyone's going to drive a Prius like WRC, but if a car can't handle being driven like that, it seems like a waste of money.

So, if you encourage drving like a granny, and more people do, you only cause more traffic and longer commute times. And I'm sure, since you're 12, that you've had plenty of experiences coming home in rush hour with several thousand cars backed up bumper to bumper for miles because a few idiots up in front are driving like grannies.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

no I was just giving an example.

I hate granny drivers, i'm late for school, and I get stuck behind a Regal going 13 MPH.

again it was just an example, and sure Diesels are good for fuel economy but Hybrids give out 1/2 the emissions of a diesel.
    I have found a new love in the form of a tristar.

I think I'd rather have a car that does more miles to the gallon, than a car with low emissions.

Thread Information