Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for an RWD Car, want advice.

Looking for an RWD Car, want advice.

I decided that I want to save up some money and buy myself a car.

I came up with a few restrictions for myself and I'm looking for a few suggestions.

1. Not American
    2. Not an Automatic
    3. Not Front Wheel Drive

My choices so far are:

1987-1992 Toyota MR2
    1985-1990 Porsche 944
    1989-1993 Nissan 240sx
    Subaru 2.5 RS

I'm need more ideas. I don't think I want a Bimmer because they seem overvalued to me.

My goal is to have a manual car that that is occasionally driftable.

I'm not doing to be a "drifter" but I wouldn't mind trying from time to time.

Moreover, I have a few more specific questions.

I've heard that the weight distribution on the 300zx is really bad. Also had heavy does the car "feel"? The TT is almost 3700 lbs if I remember correctly.

Just lay down as many suggestions that come to mind- maybe even a small synopsys on it?

TIA
    Must learn more.

if you're serious about drifting, buy an old camaro or firebird. With a little tweaking (cheap) you can get extremely expensive 4 cylinder power (~300) and rear wheel drive. That's what people were using in hawaii when drifting wasn't that popular. Yeah, use your rice burners if you can afford to replace your engine after banging off the limiter all day while your tires spin...

The porsche is an awesome car, but it sounds like you don't have a lot of cash. Replacement parts on the 944 are going to be more expensive than a 240sx, simple as that. They are relatively affordable, however. Avoid the mr2 if you want to drift. Its weight distribution is too *good* to be a drifter.

The subaru is rad, but a good example is gonna set you back at least 5-6 grand. You can find some neat older cars that would be a lot of fun, like an old datsun 510. You could also try a 2406080ZX, which all have RWD, came with manual, and had reasonably powerful engines. Those would be fun.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

That's what I forgot to ask.

How badly does the LSD get obused when your tires "drift"? What if I do it daily? once a week? once in 2 weeks? More specifically, how long would it be before I replace it? Can I just change the LSD fluid?

I don't plan to be a hardcore "Initial D" drifter. Just the occasional corner if it rains or snows. In an empty parking lot- I'm not that dumb.

As for the MR2, I've heard/read that the mid-engine allows it to really easily start drifting. Furthermore, isn't shifting the weight of the war what it's really about and not to much about the resting weight distribution?

Right now I'm looking to see how much the 1985-1990 944 sell on eBay. Some of the bids are 1500-3000 so far, but the auction hasn't ended to that can change quickly.

TIA
    Must learn more.

I was going to say go with a bmw but, well u said no already.
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

944's will run you 1500-8000 or so, depending how nice you want it, and if you want turbo and such. Ask shawn, he owns one.

As far as the mr2, you want the least amount of weight over the wheels if you want them to spin. I don't know much about drifting, but wheels spin when there is too much power or not enough weight.

You will probably never have a problem with a LSD. You may want to change the fluid once a year if you do it a lot. You may also have an open diff, depending on the car, but you won't be able to drift with an open, just spin one tire. You can powerslide, but that's really a little bit different.

I get a little sideways in my audi all the time. Rain or snow, it's great. I do it on public roads too. Just stay in control and don't get retarded. You can slide sideways just fine in the snow, but in the rain it's a little difficult.

Are you talking about drifting, or sliding? Cause I slide in my AWD audi, but I don't drift, if you get my....well....drift.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

a nissan 240sx.......preferably 91-93(or 94 if you want a conv, 94 only came conv), if you do look for a 91-93 get a hicas(or SE model), turn off hicas and you'd still have an LSD, if you want to actually drift(there's legal places that aren't pro drifting) the stock VLSD can get damaged, but if its the ocasional rainy day or if you felt like day, the stock VLSD will be good, if you do want to change it, the S15 240sx(99+ Silvia-only sold in Japan) comes with a helical LSD which is clutch based.
    the car is a great drifter, and adding a turbo kit with 8 psi will do wonders(engine can stand 350hp on stock bottomend by the way, 400 with a good tune, but 350 reliable), and this means on the KA24DE, not the SR20DET.(the ka will render ya more torque than an sr, more torque more wheel spin).

PS. you will most likely need an LSD with the 240sx on canada, without it, it'll screech the tires even on dry surface.(driving normal should'nt be that bad).

PSS the VLSD can be damaged if you do hard drifting, but normal every so many weekends drifting should be ok.
    Last edited by TheOne; 04-26-2005 at 09:28 PM.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

I'm talking more of a control drift.

Such as while turning you can shift the weight forward of the car by tapping the break and then to break the traction on the rear tire you can down shit to quickly move up on the powerband. This may be a simplistic way of viewing it. I only drifted before in an automatic FWD car. Completely different.

As for the limiter you were talking about earlier? Are you saying that the car will keep reaching the fuel cut off point that is set by the rev limiter?

Are there are things I should be worried about, other then my tires?
    Must learn more.

MRs are better at gripping usually, but are more likely to kill you in a bad drift, due to their lively nature. If you wanna learn more about drifting, track down something called Keiichi Tsuchiya's Drift Bible. It's a Best Motoring thing. He talks all about drifting, including the difference between drifting an MR and an FR. As for the powerband thing, once in a drift, one is staying in the same gear, so the engine is usually bouncing off the rev limiter. Doing this often in a very finely tuned engine is likely to throw a piston through the block sooner than one in a less tuned state.

As for the BMW thing, I drifted my ol' BMW ('85 323i), it did it quite well. You could pick on of them up, manual for about A$4K, though it'd need engine work probably. A rebuild and a little tweaking, or just drop a new one in. Avoid 318i, they couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. Suspention-wise, all the bits from the equivalent generation M3 will slot in nicely, or there are a myriad of other options, and the chassis are nice and strong in the E30s. They're not a bad option for something different. A little heavier than the usual drift options though.

Mid and rear engine cars can be notoriously difficult to drift.
    They're easier to get out their but their higher polar moment of inertia ( willingness to swap ends ) makes them harder to keep out there at lower speeds.
    What else do you want the car to do for you ?
    Setting suspension for MRs will help but make it a beatch on the open roads
    For ease of drifting a sold rear axle old-school will be easier with beemers next up.
    FR is MUCH easier to manage with a front weight bias. Just watch out though as FR with a mid/rear bias can be VERY twitchy
    PS: When "drifting" I hope it will be on track and NOT be on public roads where you endanger other road users !!!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    PS: When "drifting" I hope it will be on track and NOT be on public roads where you endanger other road users !!!!!

I really liked your advice. But confess Peter: how many times a week do you let your instinct get over you and find yourself drifting the Alpine?
    The solution is not to driva RWD if you want to resist!
    Oh, rainy days and RWD's... How they match well...
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

If you were in NZ or a RHD market i'd suggest a A31 Cefiro or a early 90's RWD Laurel. JDM cars, they are 1st and 2nd respectively for most popular drifting cars in New Zealand. I dunno if you want a good handler but I expect they wouldn't be too bad at all with some slightly stiffer suspension. Laurel was more the luxury car so its probably got softer suspension, and they're both a bit difficult to find in manual. They're Camry/Maxima-sized 4 door saloons and are very comfortable, particulary the Laurel.

Heres a Laurel

And a Cefiro with a nice subtle bodykit and some nice rims.

And here are two good examples of a Cefiro and Laurel drifter. Laurel on the left, Cefiro on center.

Ofcourse this has probably all gone to waste since you're most likely in the U.S but hey to be different you could always import one over from N.Z or Japan

240sx or a S14, engine is just better built, goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    I really liked your advice. But confess Peter: how many times a week do you let your instinct get over you and find yourself drifting the Alpine?
    The solution is not to driva RWD if you want to resist!
    Oh, rainy days and RWD's... How they match well...
    To be honest VERY VERY seldom.

BUT I do go to the track a lot

At £35 for a whole days fun I wipe out enough tyres and fuel to keep me "sane" on the streets !!!!

As a bike rider I tend to have more respect for the possibility that there might be a biker out whilst I'm in my car. Bikes appear a LOT more quickly than cars and dont' have the leeway in manoeuvrability OR safety if I get it wrong. So I'm "mister safety" and try to pass that on - which is why we can pretty much hire the track just for ourselves for a day and FILL it with friends and family
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I'd be terrified of getting sideways in an A610. Can't damage the prrrrrrrecious...

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    I'd be terrified of getting sideways in an A610. Can't damage the prrrrrrrecious...
    it's only a car !!!!

Thread Information