Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for an RWD Car, want advice.

dont opt for the vicous lsd, you wont be able to do any type of performance driving with it unless its the center diff, on the axles it doesnt shift torque fast enough and you wont get any thorttle oversteer and wont be able to correct your line as easily, a clutch type lsd is the best option since torsens are too expensive and at your level they wont give you any more of an edge

Didn't even think of a SC400, thanks.

Most of the 240SX older then 10 years that I saw are either above or near the 100K.

From what I understand, the head gasket is not expensive itself but if it break and coolant start leaking into to the cylinders then the repairs can start to really add up. I think I can replace the head gasket myself in the summer since I'll be out of school. That way I won't have to worry about labor costs.

I mean my friend broke a lug nut with the "screw" that it goes over to hold the wheel. Cost of parts $8.09, but the dealer wanted 95 bucks for labor. I ended up helping him- it was fun.

Could this be one of those better safe then sorry, situations?

Thanks again for the info.
    Must learn more.

its not expensive, but it can get if you don't do it right, setting the timing chains in the right place can be a pain if you don't mark stuff off, putting the timing chains in a bad way will most likely bend your valves as they open at wrong time and hit the pistons as it is an intermitent(sp?, don't really know if thats the word...its something like that) engine.

and knifeedge is right......since the vlsd goes with liquid, then it takes more time than clutch type lsd's, the S15 comes with a helical LSD which should be a clutch type, should be better, but not many importers get those right, then there's kaaz and some other companies that make clutch type lsd's but are way.....expensive.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

actually i was thinking of something a little different .... i think a SKYLINE is what ur lookin for .... i suggest u look into the 1991-2 R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R ....

In this case the electronic AWD-system offers the advantage that actions are enacted much faster than by a viscous-coupling-system (we're speaking of hundredths of a second here). In standard setup, ATTESA-ETS distributes the torque to the rear-wheels, but when slip is detected on one of those rear-wheels, it can distribute up to 50% of the torque to the front wheels, i.e. it can adjust the front/rear torque-split from anything between 0:100 to 50:50. Among the rear-wheels, an active LSD can further distribute the torque from one wheel to the other if necessary. Due to this setup, the Skyline GT-R can even drift, although it is an AWD car. The GT-R is a true driving machine and as such it responds best when driven aggressively. And that is when the Skyline really shines this car lives for the twisty stuff. Thanks to the HICAS-improved steering and state-of-the-art suspension Godzilla has race-quick responses, and thanks to ATTESA also loads of grip.
    It is also well usable as a daily driver. The clutch may be a bit heavy for a road car, but the car is quite comfortable, with bucket seats. Head-room and trunk-space are a bit limited, though.

I hope my advice has helped shed some light on the topic ... and good luck with ur car !

Thanks fanboy/SKYLINE advertisement machine, BUT:

1- the skyline is not available in the US, nor was it ever.
    2- The cost of a skyline that somebody had imported is way more than the car is actually worth
    3- Even if you could find one, it did run, and you could actually afford it, you can't legally register it for on-road use in the US.

Of course, I guess I'm making the assumption that Karateboy is US. If not, and you're in Aus/NZ etc., an early model skyline would be an excellent choice. The EARLY models, with none of the BS the later models came with (2.4-2.6l engine, RWD). Those tend to be pretty simple, high-powered, RWD machines.

What about a second-gen RX7? You could probably find a well sorted and modified example for cheap, and those things are pretty quick. A first or second gen supra could also be cool, as those came with sixes or Six/turbos that could pack quite a punch. The early edition celica isn't a bad idea either, as those are small and light. If this is your first car, you have to keep in mind insurance costs, which will be through the roof for any car with a turbo at your age, and sky-high for a skyline or similar rice-burner. Low-displacement=lower cost.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

Quote Originally Posted by mduhair
    actually i was thinking of something a little different .... i think a SKYLINE is what ur lookin for .... i suggest u look into the 1991-2 R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R ....

In this case the electronic AWD-system offers the advantage that actions are enacted much faster than by a viscous-coupling-system (we're speaking of hundredths of a second here). In standard setup, ATTESA-ETS distributes the torque to the rear-wheels, but when slip is detected on one of those rear-wheels, it can distribute up to 50% of the torque to the front wheels, i.e. it can adjust the front/rear torque-split from anything between 0:100 to 50:50. Among the rear-wheels, an active LSD can further distribute the torque from one wheel to the other if necessary. Due to this setup, the Skyline GT-R can even drift, although it is an AWD car. The GT-R is a true driving machine and as such it responds best when driven aggressively. And that is when the Skyline really shines this car lives for the twisty stuff. Thanks to the HICAS-improved steering and state-of-the-art suspension Godzilla has race-quick responses, and thanks to ATTESA also loads of grip.
    It is also well usable as a daily driver. The clutch may be a bit heavy for a road car, but the car is quite comfortable, with bucket seats. Head-room and trunk-space are a bit limited, though.

I hope my advice has helped shed some light on the topic ... and good luck with ur car !

so many things wrong with what you've said but coming from a fanboy that's expected

skylines are way too overpriced and over hyped for what they actually are
    they're good cars but for what they sell for you can buy a newer model of another car that's just as fast and just as fun

you can legally register a skyline for on-road use, but its an arm and a leg to pay for it(say a skyline cost $40000, add say another $10-20000 for it to be imported/legally registered through the importer).

but then thats why the 240sx is here, so you can swap a skyline engine and not throw out all of its precious weight distribution(you may feel it a bit more heavy on the front though), but then again, the stock engine is good for turbocharging, and it can yield more torque than the jap-spec SR20DET engine, which is good for drifting.(up to a point)
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

wait...you'd consider a Porsche 944...but not a E30 BMW???

call me a fanboy, but for $2000-$4000 a good E30 makes the most sense

As suprising as this may song, in my area-when I looked on www.cars.com they didn't have a E30 BMW for sale.

That is why I didn't consider it to much...I thought it was going to be to hard to find.
    Must learn more.

dude are you in the us?

e30 is the chassis code, it includes the 325, 318, and the m3. You can't afford an m3. You could probably pick up one of the other two for cheap. It's a good car, and a solid chassis, but my two problems with BMW is that they are relatively heavy, somewhat underpowered, and styled about 5-10 years behind the times. That would not be a terrible car to start out with, however.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

I am in the U.S. and I know that the E30 is a chassis code.

The few (8?) 3 series in my area (100 miles) were all automatic too.
    Last edited by KarateBoy; 04-29-2005 at 02:46 PM.
    Must learn more.

an someone link me or explain to me what is different between the 2nd generation of the USDM and the JDM 3SGTE?

What is the differencen between the JDM 3rd generation engine and 2nd JDM engine?, 3rd generation USDM doesn't exist?

Would I have to worry about emission if I buy a JDM and I live in the U.S? If I do, can the problem be solved by changing the catalytic converter?

I've heard that even though the 3rd gen 3SGTE is sold as 245 HP, it really has 255 HP. Is that @ the wheel with a rear wheel drive transmission?

If I buy a Clip with engine+ tranny+all the other small things should that include a complete clutch and a LSD?

Does anyone know the difference between the gear ratios of the USDM and JDM 2nd and 3rd generations?

Can I easily swap a 3rd generation into an MKII? As easily as a 2nd generation? Anything I should look out for?

Is there anyway I can check the redline of either engine? the exact miles on it?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks in advanced.
    Last edited by KarateBoy; 04-30-2005 at 06:21 PM.
    Must learn more.

3s-gte

the us 3gste is the engine in the ealier 90s mr-2s it was at 200 hp with a single turbo, the jap version depends on generation and the highest was 251 i think in the toyota calinda, these engines swap right into mr-2s and 6th gen(93-99) celicas (gt direct swap, st a little more work) if you have a celica gt with the 5spd its supposed to be a really easy fix and a ton of people have already done it, theres a 92 mr2 out someone where its modded with a 6" turbo i think, 817 rwhp, the video of it on the dyno showed flams coming out the side vents, the 3s-gte is supposed to be one of the best engines ever, because it can reach 1000 hp flywheel, and its only 2 L in displacement, a lot of people that race supras hardcore, take the tt i6 out and replace it with this single turbo beast

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne
    you can legally register a skyline for on-road use, but its an arm and a leg to pay for it(say a skyline cost $40000, add say another $10-20000 for it to be imported/legally registered through the importer).

but then thats why the 240sx is here, so you can swap a skyline engine and not throw out all of its precious weight distribution(you may feel it a bit more heavy on the front though), but then again, the stock engine is good for turbocharging, and it can yield more torque than the jap-spec SR20DET engine, which is good for drifting.(up to a point)
    a 1991-2 doesnt cost 40000 !!
    this is the problem with most of you ... you dont even read what i said and start makin up 5hit ....
    Last edited by mduhair; 05-01-2005 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    so many things wrong with what you've said but coming from a fanboy that's expected

skylines are way too overpriced and over hyped for what they actually are
    they're good cars but for what they sell for you can buy a newer model of another car that's just as fast and just as fun
    another n00b that didnt read what i said .... i said a 1991-2 .... and for ur information that is not "overpriced or over hyped"

p.s. since you probably didnt drive one ... i suggest you just shut up until you do

Thread Information