Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: US To Get 'Real ID' Card

US To Get 'Real ID' Card

http://news.com.com/FAQ+How+Real+ID+...tml?tag=st.num
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnet News.com
    What's all the fuss with the Real ID Act about?
    President Bush is expected to sign an $82 billion military spending bill soon that will, in part, create electronically readable, federally approved ID cards for Americans. The House of Representatives overwhelmingly approved the package--which includes the Real ID Act--on Thursday.

What does that mean for me?
    Starting three years from now, if you live or work in the United States, you'll need a federally approved ID card to travel on an airplane, open a bank account, collect Social Security payments, or take advantage of nearly any government service. Practically speaking, your driver's license likely will have to be reissued to meet federal standards.
    News.context

What's new:
    The House of Representatives has approved an $82 billion military spending bill with an attachment that would mandate electronically readable ID cards for Americans. President Bush is expected to sign the bill.

Bottom line:
    The Real ID Act would establish what amounts to a national identity card. State drivers' licenses and other such documents would have to meet federal ID standards established by the Department of Homeland Security.

More stories on this topic

The Real ID Act hands the Department of Homeland Security the power to set these standards and determine whether state drivers' licenses and other ID cards pass muster. Only ID cards approved by Homeland Security can be accepted "for any official purpose" by the feds.

How will I get one of these new ID cards?
    You'll still get one through your state motor vehicle agency, and it will likely take the place of your drivers' license. But the identification process will be more rigorous.

For instance, you'll need to bring a "photo identity document," document your birth date and address, and show that your Social Security number is what you had claimed it to be. U.S. citizens will have to prove that status, and foreigners will have to show a valid visa.

State DMVs will have to verify that these identity documents are legitimate, digitize them and store them permanently. In addition, Social Security numbers must be verified with the Social Security Administration.

What's going to be stored on this ID card?
    At a minimum: name, birth date, sex, ID number, a digital photograph, address, and a "common machine-readable technology" that Homeland Security will decide on. The card must also sport "physical security features designed to prevent tampering, counterfeiting, or duplication of the document for fraudulent purposes."

Homeland Security is permitted to add additional requirements--such as a fingerprint or retinal scan--on top of those. We won't know for a while what these additional requirements will be.

Why did these ID requirements get attached to an "emergency" military spending bill?
    Because it's difficult for politicians to vote against money that will go to the troops in Iraq and tsunami relief. The funds cover ammunition, weapons, tracked combat vehicles, aircraft, troop housing, death benefits, and so on.

The House already approved a standalone version of the Real ID Act in February, but by a relatively close margin of 261-161. It was expected to run into some trouble in the Senate. Now that it's part of an Iraq spending bill, senators won't want to vote against it.

What's the justification for this legislation anyway?
    Its supporters say that the Real ID Act is necessary to hinder terrorists, and to follow the ID card recommendations that the 9/11 Commission made last year.

It will "hamper the ability of terrorist and criminal aliens to move freely throughout our society by requiring that all states require proof of lawful presence in the U.S. for their drivers' licenses to be accepted as identification for federal purposes such as boarding a commercial airplane, entering a federal building, or a nuclear power plant," Rep. F. James Sensenbrenner, a Wisconsin Republican, said during the debate Thursday.

You said the ID card will be electronically readable. What does that mean?
    The Real ID Act says federally accepted ID cards must be "machine readable," and lets Homeland Security determine the details. That could end up being a magnetic strip, enhanced bar code, or radio frequency identification (RFID) chips.

In the past, Homeland Security has indicated it likes the concept of RFID chips. The State Department is already going to be embedding RFID devices in passports, and Homeland Security wants to issue RFID-outfitted IDs to foreign visitors who enter the country at the Mexican and Canadian borders. The agency plans to start a yearlong test of the technology in July at checkpoints in Arizona, New York and Washington state.

Will state DMVs share this information?
    Yes. In exchange for federal cash, states must agree to link up their databases. Specifically, the Real ID Act says it hopes to "provide electronic access by a state to information contained in the motor vehicle databases of all other states."

Is this legislation a done deal?
    Pretty much. The House of Representatives approved the package on Thursday by a vote of 368-58. Only three of the "nay" votes were Republicans; the rest were Democrats. The Senate is scheduled to vote on it next week and is expected to approve it as well.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan has told reporters "the president supports" the standalone Real ID Act, and the Bush administration has come out with an official endorsement. As far back as July 2002, the Bush administration has been talking about assisting "the states in crafting solutions to curtail the future abuse of drivers' licenses by terrorist organizations."

Who were the three Republicans who voted against it?
    Reps. Howard Coble of North Carolina, John Duncan of Tennessee, and Ron Paul of Texas.

Paul has warned that the Real ID Act "establishes a national ID card" and "gives authority to the Secretary of Homeland Security to unilaterally add requirements as he sees fit."

Is this a national ID card?
    It depends on whom you ask. Barry Steinhardt, director of the American Civil Liberties Union's technology and liberty program, says: "It's going to result in everyone, from the 7-Eleven store to the bank and airlines, demanding to see the ID card. They're going to scan it in. They're going to have all the data on it from the front of the card...It's going to be not just a national ID card but a national database."

At the moment, state driver's licenses aren't easy for bars, banks, airlines and so on to swipe through card readers because they're not uniform; some may have barcodes but no magnetic stripes, for instance, and some may lack both. Steinhardt predicts the federalized IDs will be a gold mine for government agencies and marketers. Also, he notes that the Supreme Court ruled last year that police can demand to see ID from law-abiding U.S. citizens.

Will it be challenged in court?
    Maybe. "We're exploring whether there are any litigation possibilities here," says the ACLU's Steinhardt.

One possible legal argument would challenge any requirement for a photograph on the ID card as a violation of religious freedom. A second would argue that the legislation imposes costs on states without properly reimbursing them.

When does it take effect?
    The Real ID Act takes effect "three years after the date of the enactment" of the legislation. So if the Senate and Bush give it the thumbs-up this month, its effective date would be sometime in May 2008.
    Every year it gets better and better, we must really be winning the war on terror!

Big Brother steps in and takes over the States..

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    Big Brother steps in and takes over the States..
    But at least we will be safe ;-)

No big deal to me, I had to show 3-4 forms of ID to get my DL and passport photos taken. The only thing I don't like the sound of is the RFID tags, but that's just because it could be used to track someone. Other than that I don't see a problem.

Wait, I forgot, Bush approved it. It's automatically evil.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    No big deal to me, I had to show 3-4 forms of ID to get my DL and passport photos taken. The only thing I don't like the sound of is the RFID tags, but that's just because it could be used to track someone. Other than that I don't see a problem.

Wait, I forgot, Bush approved it. It's automatically evil.
    Its a federally controlled ID card. Because all the cards will meet the same standard there should be no problem with card readers as there are now with different state issued IDs.

Every time the card is swiped the information can be sent to who ever wants it, and thus you can be tracked. The only difference is that with RFID you card doesn’t not need to be swiped so you do not always know when the data on the card is being accessed.

The idea does have positive connotations, and is not necessarily evil. However, there is a lot of opportunity for abuse.

It is suppose to make it harder for terrorist to travel within the US. So no everyone is required to carry federal ID when they travel within the country. At least on airplane but I guess that will just force the terrorist to drive? So maybe we should force people to show their ID at the state borders, that should stop terrorists right?

Yes, this doesn’t sound that bad. I am sure the next step will not sound so bad either. I just wonder where this country is headed?

Of course if this was not so bad, it makes me wonder why it is attached to the end of another Bill that is almost guaranteed to pass?

no big deal to me, i dont fear the goverment
    pondering things

Famous last words.

I'm interested if the USSR had a similar card.........
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

82 billion US$?

It might be cheaper to send all americans out of the country (camping in the Sahara desert for instance) and let them back in one by one and see whether they meet all criteria of US citizen ship.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Yeah, but this helps keep people trapped in the US and being "Good" so they can get their pass.......

Read the first post again and please read very carefully the answer to the question whether this is a national ID-card. It is going to depend a great deal on who will have the right to ask for this card and copy the data. If private companies will have that right it will not be Big Brother watching you but Big Business, which is much worse. (or is there no difference in the USA between big brother and big business??)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I wonder if it will store personal data, like Likes/Dislikes so marketing companies can call on the database.

Fingerprints?

A card to prove your an american citizen worthy of flying, what a crock of crap. Social control at it's lowest.

Hopefully it'll never get up.

IF this is a good idea then WHY are they pushing it through as part of an "iraq" bill. The article implies that it would get thrown out otherwise.

Seems an unusual way for a democracy to work.
    If it would get voted out then it clearly isn't' wanted. by doing this nobody will DARE vote it out as it means throwing out Iraq stuff too.
    THAT is NOT a democracy, it's an AUTOCRACY

At least in the UK this is coming forward as an act in it's own right and we will get a say in it's benefits and drawbacks.

The issue is the power it makes available.
    Remember Brazil has just turned down US aid as American said the spending on HIV education and treatment could NOT be given to prostitutes.
    With a national ID card ( especially ones with RFID ) then it would be possible to say that a person doesn't' get welfare support ( or tax relief etc ) if they go into a brothel or a bar or maybe they don't get it unless they go to church at least once a week. It is how a self-serving government can use this data that concerns the free democracies.

Yes a great idea and not a worry for honest people and honest government.
    Supporters of ID cards point at the DIShonest people as being the problem.
    DIShonest government will be even worse

For the UK version they talk abotu "biometric information". This covers fingerprints, retina iamges and worse genetic fingerprinting
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Australia was going to have something like this, called the australia card back in the '80s but it fell through. what annoys me today is that a licence isn't good enough, you always need like towo forms of ID, even though i needed three to get my licence in the first place
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    Australia was going to have something like this, called the australia card back in the '80s but it fell through. what annoys me today is that a licence isn't good enough, you always need like towo forms of ID, even though i needed three to get my licence in the first place
    Our driving licences are water-marked, photo ID and are accepted everywhere.

If THAT was all that an ID proposed I'd not bother.

It's like business in France. When I've visited customers we're always asked to provide our passports and the companies photocopy and retain them whilst we're on premises. Don't see a problem with that. BUT for it to have bio-information - worries me, in case we ever ended up with an equivalent of GWB in Eureop - LePen ??
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Ridiculus Ragashahi Rabushi Pash Pash

Thread Information