Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Volkswagen Corrado 1988-1995

in germany they are sometimes practically giving them away.
    so damn tempting
    24/02/2008: my first drive in a corrado 16, life is finally going somewhere...
    1/07/2008: first drive in a corrado vr6, life peaks here

WWW.AUTOFANS.BE

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    That's really cool! Wonder why it was never sold? I know the Corrado wasn't as popular as the previous Sciroccos... but... wow!
    I think you're bang on with the popularity problem...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Unfortunately the museum was so messy ! Many cars missed information or were parked very messy. Some of the rare protoypes even had big parking dents and stuff.. Also maintenance wasnt a real priority there. I wish we would know as I'd love to know also...
    That's a crying shame. I'm gunna jack the place.

Germany -> West Germany -> NRW -> Düsseldorf
    There were 6 Corrado Convertible prototypes, made by Karmann in Osnabrück/Germany (the company, which built the Corrado coupé, the Sciroccos, the Beetle Convertibles and, none-the-less, the Karmann Ghia ).

The darkblue car in the museum in Wolfsburg is the only driveable out of those 6 cars and one of two still in existance (the other one is in the car collection of Karmann).

They showed the car to VW back in 1989 and VW decided not to build it, because of converting costs and "no market for such a car" at that time.

So one car went into the Karmann car collection and one into the VW Museum and the other four cars (which were only rollable bodyworks) were destroyed, as far as I know.

And yes, most of the cars in the "AutoMuseum Stiftung Volkswagen" in Wolfsburg/Germany are damaged or not signed with any informations, but they will do that within the next time, because they founded "Volkswagen Classic" last year and they will restore many cars out of the Volkswagen car collection (also many cars never showed before, which just were used within their facilities and then went into some big hidden halls). So the coming few years there will be some changing in that museum and we might have the opportunity of seeing some "new" cars, which we never saw before
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

Quote Originally Posted by netburner View Post
    There were 6 Corrado Convertible prototypes, made by Karmann in Osnabrück/Germany (the company, which built the Corrado coupé, the Sciroccos, the Beetle Convertibles and, none-the-less, the Karmann Ghia ).

The darkblue car in the museum in Wolfsburg is the only driveable out of those 6 cars and one of two still in existance (the other one is in the car collection of Karmann).

They showed the car to VW back in 1989 and VW decided not to build it, because of converting costs and "no market for such a car" at that time.

So one car went into the Karmann car collection and one into the VW Museum and the other four cars (which were only rollable bodyworks) were destroyed, as far as I know.

And yes, most of the cars in the "AutoMuseum Stiftung Volkswagen" in Wolfsburg/Germany are damaged or not signed with any informations, but they will do that within the next time, because they founded "Volkswagen Classic" last year and they will restore many cars out of the Volkswagen car collection (also many cars never showed before, which just were used within their facilities and then went into some big hidden halls). So the coming few years there will be some changing in that museum and we might have the opportunity of seeing some "new" cars, which we never saw before
    Thanks for the explanation ! To me it seemed the museum had been sort of "forgotten" when the Autostadt theme park was built. That mega-project offcourse got billions of euro's and this lagged behind. My impression atleast. The museum was way overcrowded and there was barely enough space to fit everything in. In a way it reminded me of my uncle's workshop

When I was there with my old man, there was noone in the building except one employee.. And that on a Saturday afternoon in the middle of the tourist season..

It'd be interesting to see the changes there in a few years. It has great potential, but clearly a shortage of funds. I will keep it in mind and try and visit in a year or three !

Volkswagen Corrado #7
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Volkswagen Corrado VR6

For MY1992, Volkswagen introduced a revolutionary new engine called VR6 for the Corrado. VR6 stood for German words "Vau Reihenmotor" or "V-inline" in English. It had a narrow 15-degree V-angle so that the 2 banks of cylinders were closely packed together. This allowed the engine to be made as compact as an inline-4 and fitted perfectly to the transverse application of FWD small cars. To install larger engine, VW had to redesign front end of the Corrado with wider wheel acrhes, new cross member and bulged bonnet. Also, front grille now came with three horizontal bars, bumpers and light units were changed.

VR6 model differed quite a lot from normal Corrado. About 60% of the VR6 model had to be assembled by hand in Karmann factory. While normal Corrados used mechanical components (like suspension, steering etc.) from VW Golf Mk II, Corrado VR6 used updated mechanicals from recently launched VW Golf Mk III. From MY1993, the dashboard was redesigned to resemble the Golf III dash.

Despite its smooth engine and class leading perfomance, the Corrado VR6 wasn't exactly a sales success. Only 7,755 examples were made during four years.

Production period: 09/1991 – 06/1995
    Numbers built: 7,755
    Engine: 2861 cc VR6
    Power: 140 kW @ 5800 rpm
    Torque: 245 Nm @ 4200 rpm
    Kerb weight: 1240 kg
    Top speed: 227 kph
    0-100 kph: 7,2 sec
    Last edited by Revo; 03-15-2020 at 05:03 AM.

All car manufacturers made coupes at one point, VW in particular loved coupes. Particularly the Scirocco, Corrado and the Ghia. Now, no more unfortunately for the vast majority of manufacturers, that is no more.

I remember coming across a Scirocco in traffic once as a kid and having my mind blown when I saw the VW badge. When I think small sport coupe, I think Japanese, not German.

Thanks for the memories.

Volkswagen Corrado G60

G60 was a maintstream Corrado model that was originally supposed to replace the ageing VW Scirocco II. However, the new model turned out too expensive and sophisticated for direct succession. VW mangement solved the problem by positioning the new Scirocco III (or Corrado, as we know it) on a higher end of the market as a high-quality sports car. Meanwhile, Scirocco II continued in production well into the 1990s, covering the lower end of the market.

When launched in 1988, the new Corrado was available with only one engine option: 1.8-litre supercharged inline-4. G60 in the model name refered to scroll type supercharger (in German:"G-Lader") with 60mm diameter. Despite its supercharged engine and active rear spoiler, Corrado G60 was never known for its performance. Embarrassingly, G60 was slower to 100 kph than VW's own Golf II GTI.

Production period: 10/1988 – 07/1993
    Numbers built: 97,521 (all Corrado models between 1988-1995)
    Engine: 1781 cc inline-4, supercharger
    Power: 118 kW @ 5600 rpm
    Torque: 225 Nm @ 4000 rpm
    Kerb weight: 1115 kg
    Top speed: 217 kph
    0-100 kph: 9,2 sec
    Last edited by Revo; 03-15-2020 at 06:20 AM.

Corrado G60 #2

Corrado G60 #3

Thread Information