Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revised: Corvette C6 Z06 vs. Dodge Viper SRT-10

Revised: Corvette C6 Z06 vs. Dodge Viper SRT-10

The original version of this thread was gibberish being spouted from loads of retarded fanboys, some smart comments made by people who couldn't accept the other car would be worthwhile a all (I think i was one of these ), and some people who actually had an idea of what they were talking about. BUT to compoud the worthlessness of the older thread, it was at a time when no one had a real idea of even what a normal C6 would be able to do.

Next point: You will notice there is no poll. I want to see a new idea, where people take a side, and we proceed like it is a REAL debate, instead of 50 trillion random people arguing, bringing up other random cars that cost thirty times as much, or people saying that all American cars suck. Real debate, where every post must be fuly thought-through, with all of it's points supported at least pretty decently well. Any side tracking wil not be allowed, and any posts that are "fanboyish", or in some way just plain stupid (you get the idea of what kind of posts I mean), I encourage the mods to delete them, to help me in this little experiment.

In your first post, you must declare what side you are on explicitely well: "I am in favor of the Viper" would be the first line of that post for example. Then, bring up each specific point in your argument ("The Viper has a better engine") and then the reasoning for your point ("because it is much larger"). If it is not something that is general information (like the information in this statement "The Z06 has carbon fiber in pars of it's chassis", you must cite where you got this information so others can read the article. This will be well ordered, and not a battle of any sort.

This debate will continue, and I will either revive this thread, or make a new version of it (especially if I decide to change how the debate will be done in any significant way) when the full extent of the Z06's capabilities are known more specifically then we do now.

Make sure each individual point is specific (do NOT say "engine X is beter, because it is better engineered", say "engine X is better because each of the things in these sub-points, like the fuel pump and oil, is better engineered"). I suggest you use an outline, as they will allow the best "ease-of-use" to read it and understand which points are more important, which points are really sub-points, etc.

Each point made will be reviewed by me and a bunch of my car-loving friends. We will consider:
    -The source quoted (if applicable). The better the source, the more points in that area.
    -The usefulness of the point to te overall car (saying the Corvette has a better exhaust note may be cool, but won't get you far for points compared to a point about the engine).
    -The extent of how well the point is presented (saying a car has beter designed valves is good, but saying why they are better, is better for you and your side, point-wise).
    -And a variety of other parts of your arguments that matter, the above make up the bulk, and are the best examples.

Good luck ladies and gentlemen: Let the debate begin!

Note: consider ANYTHING about the cars: price, fuel use, top speed, turning ability, technologies, engineering specials, etc. Anything inside the car is allowed.

EDIT: Do all your own reseach. Whether it is for pictures, or te most minute detail that anyone will ever bother with knowing.
    Last edited by CdocZ; 05-10-2005 at 11:14 AM.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Im favoring the Vette obviously.

An absolute American supercar.
    Unfotunately it has 50 fewer ft/lbs, but it will weigh at least 200 pounds less, so that should be able to make up for it.

Now lets talk streetability and practicality.
    I guess theres not much competition in this category. After reading countless interviews of the Vipers ability throw out any inatentive drivers, I think id drive the Vette. How about fuel consumption, Viper-12mpg/ 21mpg, Corvette ZO6- 18/ 22. Make your choice.

I dont know about you but id take the Vette. I hope someone in my area buys one
    eat cicada

I'd go with the vette also. I prefer GM to daimler any time but then Im baised because my family owns 2 GM vehicles.
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

Ok, so the power issue gives the Viper 5 points, but the weight issue cancels out 4 of them. As for the mpg argument, we decided the Corvette should get a nice 3 points for that.

Vindesh, you didn't really have an argument, lol.

I am in the side of the C6 Corvette ZO6 because as far as that 5th gear test shows that the normal C6 corvette is capable of staying next to the Viper SRT-10, except for 1/4 mile times, it is very capable on a road course.(as in it can stay up to the viper on cornering). Now, the C6 ZO6 has 100hp more than the stock C6, it has better suspension, it weights 110 pounds less(3240lbs C6 compared to 3130lbs on the ZO6), the torque may be a bit lower, but still enough(could still be underrated).
    i've seen videos of a showcase of the new ZO6 at a quartermile track(the vid all over the internet), the car ran 12.x @ ~120+mph(on bad weather and the drivers were babying the car, as in not taking it to redline), meaning it can do 11's with good weather.
    As for the Viper, it weights 3400 pounds, thats ~300 pounds more, so the ZO6 and the viper should stay on par since it has some more torque.(still haven't seen how fast is the viper on the quarter mile).

we just have to way for what they both really do.
    (the weight and hp were mostly taken from UCP info)
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

The Corvette... and i'm not even an american car fan, the corvette simply because the viper isn't a car... it's a low truck... crappy gear box, crappy stearing, crappy behavior, catches on fire.. wich may be bad... conclusion: it's a mistake, not a car.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

From a British perspective the Viper is pretty much redundant.

Most TVRs tick all the boxes about being "raw" and etc and quite frankly they appear to do the whole "driving about" malarky to a better standard anyway. They also have the added bonus of the steering wheel on the right side and don't cost twice what they should.

The Corvette seems much better suited to life in Britain.

It still has the wheel on the wrong side, so I don't think it will ever be as popular as perhaps it should be.

It is also a bit obvious as well, and it doesn't appear to be as nicely finished as the European competition. I'll try and have a poke about one sometime before passing firm judgement though.
    Thanks for all the fish

Ok, TheOne had many good performance points, giving the Z06 another six points for handling, and due to the mentioned videos (show source please, aka, post the video up on UCP) it has a very good 1/4 mile: +2 points there (so few because A) no one knows exactly what it is yet, and B) it probably won't beat the Viper by that much really at all in the 1/4 mile).

Ruim, you have a good point as the Viper is NOT an everday car, so minus a point.

Coventry, your argument easily gives the Corvette another 3 points, as it can actually be at home in England, where neither any C5 nor any Viper has yet been able to do much but slow down over and over.

NOTE: Do some of the obvious arguments too: new engineering ideas vs. old ones, being made up for in a vast 505ci engine type of thing. I am not going to be happy until every single point is debated

I like the vette in terms of styling but I think the viper is faster. Uhmmm....I'd go with the vette.

something tells me this is how all the car comparos should go from now on, but, they probably wont. all we need is a little bit o humor
    eat cicada

Well, it's not really going correctly anyway. Most people are still making posts with no real reasoning, and some that do not fully compare the two cars well enough. It's alot better then the craphouse that was the original version of this thread though.......by a 1/4 mile.

In comparing the two, I'd have to go with the Viper for it's exclusivity in the sence that you see far fewer Vipers on the road than Corvettes. I've see about 3 in person and I'm always awe struck by their looks .

As far as performance and drivability go, the Corvette, it's much better balanced, it does a number of things very well besides go fast in a straight line. In order to get a better all around performing American car, you'd have to look at the Ford GT or Saleen S7.

I wont compare either to TVR for the sole reason that TVRs aren't sold in North America, thus only a very small percentage of possible buyers (UK buyers) can compare the 3.

So to recap:

-Wow, factor (looks and push you back in your seat grunt): Viper.

-Better all around performer and dailly driver: Corvette (Z06)
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

this thread is really redunant because there is no true Corvette fan who will vote for a viper and there is no true Viper fan who will vote for the Corvette.

The Corvette Z06 has not been tested yet but seeing it is 300lbs lighter and was heavily developed with the C6R, the Viper would only have a shot at the start other wise it would just be slowing the Corvette down.

looks are a matter of personal preference but to me, DC comes off as very lazy by just putting the rear of the previous GTS on the car. to those viper fans who will say the Corvette is just a souped version of the C6, at least it dosent have the rear of a C5. Interiors are meaningless and are only argued by pathetic fan boy morons. when push comes to shove im not going to be thinkin, oh that guy has a slightly better interior than mine. If you want a great exterior, buy something much more expensive

and the Z06 should win despite its slight torque disadvantage but 485 is plenty and im sure GM made sure the gearing on the Vette matches the power curve.

chances are the Corvette will get better fuel mileage, less weight ect
    top speed means nothing because very few if any will ever get their car up that high.
    The 5th gear show showed how great the C6 handled compared to the Viper, it kept up the whole way around the track, now imagine something lighter with better rubber.
    eventhough hp/l means nothing, it does stand out that Chevy got 500 out of 7.0lts compared to the Vipers 8.3

if i had the money id own both, but i dont and if i had a choice one or the other, the Corvette is a better car all around
    Last edited by CSL; 05-10-2005 at 08:15 PM.

Here I will put a couple of points up for a the Viper. You can't really MOD the C6 Z06 because of compresion. NO supercharger NO turbocharger. A super charged SRT-10 can put down over a 1000 HP!

How do we compare cars that we haven't driven? Hell none of us have driven a C6 Z06 or the Viper SRT-10 Coupe.
    97 Viper GTS
    93 Dodge Viper (Sold)
    My Videos http://www.youtube.com/early93viper

Quote Originally Posted by early93viper
    Here I will put a couple of points up for a the Viper. You can't really MOD the C6 Z06 because of compresion. NO supercharger NO turbocharger.
    Tell that to the good folks at Ligenfelter It won't take em long to cook one up.

A super charged SRT-10 can put down over a 1000 HP!
    So can supercharged Chevrolets

How do we compare cars that we haven't driven? Hell none of us have driven a C6 Z06 or the Viper SRT-10 Coupe.
    Based on the specs for both cars. If we stop talking about cars becuase we've never driven them, then Wouter would have to close down UCP since most of us will never drive the cars we love
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Thread Information