Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress: Ferrari 612 GTC Concept

You have some serious skills, I have always dreamed about becoming a car designer but it's too unrealistic to even attempt to persue. You're clearly having fun doing something that you're interested in and if the opportunity (going 'pro') becomes available, and if it's more prosperous than whatever you're currently doing you should take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey
    You have some serious skills, I have always dreamed about becoming a car designer but it's too unrealistic to even attempt to persue. You're clearly having fun doing something that you're interested in and if the opportunity (going 'pro') becomes available, and if it's more prosperous than whatever you're currently doing you should take it.
    Thanks mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia
    Thanks mate!
    No problem,

How did you know that the arches from a skyline kit could be adapted to fit the Scaglietti? (these might be dumb questions) And how do you go about doing this sort of thing? It looks really, really cool and it's be better than PS'ing cars because at the end you have a material thing that you can show for your effort.

No problem,

How did you know that the arches from a skyline kit could be adapted to fit the Scaglietti? (these might be dumb questions) And how do you go about doing this sort of thing? It looks really, really cool and it's be better than PS'ing cars because at the end you have a material thing that you can show for your effort.
    Well, I've always been interested in art and always been a car nut so modeling just seemed a natural outlet for me. I can appreciate the PS modelers too it's just not my thing.

Most any fender flare can fit on most any body if you sand it to an agreeable shape, but of course not all styles go together. There is a store chain here that occasionally puts their models on sale for half price so I buy some kits to use just for parts such as the case with the 612 project. I didn't know the two styles would work together...I just started opening boxes and comparing til something clicked.

If you don't have the luxury of using spare kits for parts you can fashion your own flares and other custom bits from putty. A good automotive grade 2 part putty which won't shrink after it hardens is best. Most puttys sand about the same rate as plastic so they work quite well. Also you can use spare plastic...plastic can be added or sanded away easily so mistakes can be fixed along the way, nothings permanent.

Give it a go, mate!

Well, I've always been interested in art and always been a car nut so modeling just seemed a natural outlet for me. I can appreciate the PS modelers too it's just not my thing.

Most any fender flare can fit on most any body if you sand it to an agreeable shape, but of course not all styles go together. There is a store chain here that occasionally puts their models on sale for half price so I buy some kits to use just for parts such as the case with the 612 project. I didn't know the two styles would work together...I just started opening boxes and comparing til something clicked.

If you don't have the luxury of using spare kits for parts you can fashion your own flares and other custom bits from putty. A good automotive grade 2 part putty which won't shrink after it hardens is best. Most puttys sand about the same rate as plastic so they work quite well. Also you can use spare plastic...plastic can be added or sanded away easily so mistakes can be fixed along the way, nothings permanent.

Give it a go, mate!
    Nice advise but there is one warning: modeling is Expensive. $$$
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Any hobby can be expensive...tried playing golf? fishing? boating? biking? etc.

It's all relative my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    and addictive too
    but really, once you are fully equiped, things can be kept within manageable proportions, as long as you don't buy a Studio 27 F1 kit every week.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Yeah, what sort of model kits do you guys buy...and what sort of stuff would I need to get started?

I've had an idea involving a Revell Corvette Stingray 3 model that I've had sitting in my wardrobe for a couple of years...it's a great looking car but some of the details now look "so '90s". I'd also like to re-design the front of the Ferrari F50...remove the black 'stripe' around the car and the indicators, tried it on Photoplus and it looks much nicer.

Yeah, what sort of model kits do you guys buy...and what sort of stuff would I need to get started?

I've had an idea involving a Revell Corvette Stingray 3 model that I've had sitting in my wardrobe for a couple of years...it's a great looking car but some of the details now look "so '90s". I'd also like to re-design the front of the Ferrari F50...remove the black 'stripe' around the car and the indicators, tried it on Photoplus and it looks much nicer.
    Sounds like you have some ideas, here's a link to a couple of modeling tools lists.

Modeling Supplies

Body work is close to being finished. Got most of the wide fenders blended in, added brake cooling ducts and cooling scoops at the leading edge of the rear haunches. I think one more putty session will get it done, then I have to scribe in a few panel lines for realism.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice Dino, can't wait to see it done.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Sounds like you have some ideas, here's a link to a couple of modeling tools lists.

Modeling Supplies
    Cheers, that 612 looks awesome so far

Body work is close to being finished. Got most of the wide fenders blended in, added brake cooling ducts and cooling scoops at the leading edge of the rear haunches. I think one more putty session will get it done, then I have to scribe in a few panel lines for realism.
    that looks so good. the new parts have blended in completely. do designers use a similar method when they make their design proposals?

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree
    that looks so good. the new parts have blended in completely. do designers use a similar method when they make their design proposals?
    Thanks all!

Erm....real designers do borrow ideas from other cars, there are many examples of that. They have computers and training in designed coupled with natural talent also. Mostly when designing street cars they use the DNA method or traits from their designs throughout thier previous car line history. Even when they break away from a direct evolution you can still see the roots most times.

When designing race cars regulations dictate a lot about what a car will look like.

Thanks all!

Erm....real designers do borrow ideas from other cars, there are many examples of that. They have computers and training in designed coupled with natural talent also. Mostly when designing street cars they use the DNA method or traits from their designs throughout thier previous car line history. Even when they break away from a direct evolution you can still see the roots most times.

When designing race cars regulations dictate a lot about what a car will look like.
    i was actually asking about the method of smoothing and blending in different shapes in the models themselves

Thread Information