Thread: Mitsubishi losing money.

Mitsubishi losing money.

TOKYO - Hit by plunging sales in the United States and Japan, Mitsubishi Motors Corp. (MMC) sank deeper into the red last year and projected another year of loss on Monday as it struggles to patch up its brand image.

While other Japanese auto makers are cruising past the competition overseas, MMC is battling a tattered reputation from a high-profile series of recalls and arrests of former executives after it concealed safety-related defects from authorities.

The decades-long practice first came to light in 2000 and resurfaced last year when at least two road deaths were linked to hidden defects in trucks made by its then-unit Mitsubishi Fuso Truck and Bus Corp.

MMC's group net loss for the year to March 31 more than doubled to 474.79 billion yen ($4.39 billion) from 215.42 billion yen, in line with expectations, as restructuring costs and provisions for asset impairment charges rose.

Its operating loss widened to 128.54 billion yen from 96.85 billion yen, slightly better than a mean estimate of 135 billion yen in a survey of nine analysts by Reuters Estimates.

MMC, owned 13 percent by DaimlerChrysler AG, is alone among Japanese car makers in posting a loss. Most domestic rivals, including Toyota Motor Corp., Nissan Motor Co., Honda Motor Co. and Mazda Motor Corp., reported record-high earnings for 2004/05.

Revenues shrank 16 percent to 2.123 trillion yen as slight growth in Europe, helped by the new Colt compact car, and Southeast Asia were overwhelmed by a drop nearly everywhere else.

Global sales fell 14 percent to 1.313 million vehicles last year, with volumes in Japan plunging 37 percent to 227,000 units.
    These guys make GM look good.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    These guys make GM look good.
    Hopefully they find a way to turn the company around. The cars they produce aren't bad, but just won't sell.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

And they have no one to blame but themselves. Their linup is completely unappealing to me. Including the Evo. The new Eclipse is ugly, their SUVs do nothing for me, and the Galant hasn't looked good in over 5 years. And from what I've read their quality and reliability seems to be lacking.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    And they have no one to blame but themselves. Their linup is completely unappealing to me. Including the Evo. The new Eclipse is ugly, their SUVs do nothing for me, and the Galant hasn't looked good in over 5 years. And from what I've read their quality and reliability seems to be lacking.
    That's true, minus the Evo bit. 5-10 years ago their cars were real good for a Japanese Manufacturer.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

More responses here:

Linky

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Hopefully they find a way to turn the company around. The cars they produce aren't bad, but just won't sell.
    They have nothing special at this moment other than the Evo and the new Eclipse... Hopefully the Eclipse will increase sales, I believe it's hitting dealerships really soon.

The Eclipse looks great at that angle. Its just one of those cars that you really need to see in person to determine what it looks like. One pic at a certain angle makes it look crap, other angle makes it look great...

Jap Imports screw Mitsi over here really because whatever is new here for them has been around for long enough to be imported in large amounts.

Quick, which one is the catfish?
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

I saw the new Eclipse recently, it looks decent, but I don't think it can save them...the competition is too strong for them to make up the lost ground.

their cars come with 10 year warranties now, with the magna etc
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

They'll pick themselves up again, like Nissan did in mid 90's. New evo, (Evo 10) will sure help.

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    They'll pick themselves up again, like Nissan did in mid 90's. New evo, (Evo 10) will sure help.
    I'd say, like Mazda did, they've had a big change of their image and it's working, they're into more dynamic cars and the buyers like that a lot...
    evo 10? the 9 has just been presented...
    I think they will have to design a new Lancer first, because i'm starting to get bored with the evo's looks... but not with it's handling and performance

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    They'll pick themselves up again, like Nissan did in mid 90's. New evo, (Evo 10) will sure help .
    Oh yes, what are the odds of getting (someone like (- hey, we all thought it was Mercedes, but look now)) Chales Ghosn getting to Mitsubishi?

It's sad, really. I really love Mitsubishi and hope they get their butts up like Nissan and Mazda. Look at where Mazda has reached now, The MazdaSpeed 3 and 6!

Their cars aren't half bad.
    The Galant is good
    the Magna is also good,
    Outlander is head to head with the Rav4, very good,
    The new van thingy...forgot what its name is, something with M, is also really good.
    The Evo (8) is absolutely fantastic...
    The Pajero/Montero is ok, like I said, atleast it can offroad like a Jap 4WD should...
    The Eclipse looks nice...
    Pajero iO is.......fine

There is absolutely nothing wrong with their lineup!
    You want to know whats really wrong?? I'll tell you!
    Its weight!!!
    The Galant, the Magna, the Outlander, the Pajero, the Eclipse....
    they're all so bloody heavy!!
    Thats their problem! They can't create anything decent enough without making it as heavy as an elephant. And it looks like its pulling them down

The Koreans have already kicked Mitsu's arse, they are toast.

Thread Information