Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indy 500 this weekend

Indy 500 this weekend

The 89th running of the Indianapolis 500 race is this Sunday (29th May).

So what are people's thoughts/predictions for the race? How many of you are gonna be watching the race? I assume most of the US forum members will be but I wonder what the interest level is outside the US? Being from the UK myself the coverage isn't exactly major over here but it is something I have more than a passing interest in I suppose.

So who are people gonna be rooting for? Being completely unbiased and impartial (of course!) I would like to see Dan Wheldon or Dario Franchitti to win and I reckon they've both got a decent chance. Obviously Wheldon is red-hot at the moment and is leading the IRL points standings put he has a very disappointing grid position of 16th. Franchitti has looked pretty good at times this season and has a good starting grid position so he's definitely in with a shout.

I imagine there will also be a few people wanting the sentimental storybook return for Kenny Brack (returning to oval racing for the first time since coming within an inch of losing his life at an IRL race in Texas 2003). It would be one hell of a story if he were to do it!

Also what of a potential female winner at Indy? Danica Patrick has looked quick in all of the qualifying and testing at Indy and has qualified on the second row of the grid. Has there ever been a female winner or would she be the first?

So what do you guys think? Who do you want to win, who do you not want to win, or do you just not really care?!
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

I couldn't really care I don't like seeing cars go round an oval a billion times

Don't like oval racing, but I did watch it until the CART series split and the IRL was formed....that ruined open wheel racing in the USA.

We've had one publicity stunt after another this year -- having all the drivers go to Times Square, having a car hung off the side of a building and lots of other stuff. And I can't even imagine the Indy 500 having to advertise.

Hard to believe that it was just a decade ago when every seat was filled and 70 or 80 cars would show up for every race. There was a story in the Indy paper about tv ratings and it's gone from about 13 in the late 80s to about 4 now.

Open wheel racing is going to have to unify in this country or simply disappear completely and cede everything to NASCAR.

Kanaan will probably win, but I'd like to see Danica Patrick have a good run for Team Rahal.

Open wheel racing has sucked since the IRL threw Penske out of Indy for being that much better than everyone else.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat77
    We've had one publicity stunt after another this year -- having all the drivers go to Times Square, having a car hung off the side of a building and lots of other stuff. And I can't even imagine the Indy 500 having to advertise.

Hard to believe that it was just a decade ago when every seat was filled and 70 or 80 cars would show up for every race. There was a story in the Indy paper about tv ratings and it's gone from about 13 in the late 80s to about 4 now.

Open wheel racing is going to have to unify in this country or simply disappear completely and cede everything to NASCAR.
    It was unified til greedy Tony busted it up to create open wheel NASCAR....how is that workin' for ya Tony?

Go Scott Dixon! The kiwi in the red target car.

In Miller Lite Carb Day final practice, Danica Patrick staked her claim as a favorite to win the 89th Indianapolis 500 by posting the top speed, 225.597 mph.
    omghi2her?
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    omghi2her?
    Hahaha, hilarious

No women has ever won a major motorsport event. Back in the 1970s, Lella Lombardi became the first women to score a point in an F1 race. In more recent times, Ellen Lohr won several races in the early to mid 1990s in the German DTM Championship. And in the US, Sarah Fisher had a couple of podiums in IRL.
    But, if Danica Patrick wins the Indy 500, it will be a breakthrough, and probably the biggest and best thing ever to happen to motorsport. So, no doubt, she is the sentimental favourite for many of us.
    I won't be watching it live - its one at 2.30 am here in Australia, and I'll be staying up late enough to watch the European Grand Prix. But I'll likely watch the replay tomorrow night.
    I'm hoping Danica can win - if not, then hopefully the Kiwi driver, 2003 IRL champion Scott Dixon will win.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Danny Wheldon won, Danica was 4th. It finished under caution, somebody hit the wall coming to the white flag. Good race.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

won by a brit, in an Italian chassis with a japanese engine.
    (was the army presentation and the fly past of this bomber really necessary)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Nice one Danny Boy!!! Great drive to take the victory from 16th on the grid! He just slowly and surely cruised up through the field, stayed out of trouble and claimed the prize! Rule Britannia!

Danica Patrick did really well on her rookie appearance at Indy. She got unlucky when her engine cut out in the pits. Looked for a while as if they weren't gonna get her going again, but she lost vital positions so in the end will probably be delighted with a fourth place.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Stalled car + wrecked car + low on fuel + finish 4th = great ending to a could-have-been-sucky day...

I just wanna post this picture again.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    Stalled car + wrecked car + low on fuel + finish 4th = great ending to a could-have-been-sucky day...

I just wanna post this picture again.
    Any excuse!!!
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Thread Information