Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coulthard criticizes tyre rules

Coulthard criticizes tyre rules

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=33002

COULTHARD ATTACKS "DANGEROUS" TYRE RULES
    Last Updated: Monday, 30, May, 2005, 11:55
    Click to enlarge

David Coulthard has spoken out against the new-for-2005 tyre rules in the wake of Kimi Raikkonen’s dramatic late race accident at the Nurburgring.

Drivers are no longer allowed to change tyres during the race unless the tyre is damaged.

Raikkonen had badly flat-spotted his right-front tyre and the resultant vibration eventually led to a violent suspension failure on the final lap.

The McLaren team had the option to bring Kimi into the pits for a replacement tyre, but decided to leave him on track as he was leading the race.

“In one way the rules have been good for overtaking and entertainment, but there is no question that it is more dangerous," Coulthard told The Times newspaper.

“It is a major worry.

“The FIA position is that the drivers make the decision, but they are asking us to throw away our races by coming into the change tyres.”

DC revealed that he had suffered tyre problems of his own in the closing stages.

He didn’t consider pitting for new tyres because he was running in such a competitive position.

“I could hardly see from the vibrations late in the race, but I couldn't afford to lose my fourth position,” said Coulthard.
    I guess its a common belief amongst the Scottish

I had an idea a while ago about how to make the tyres better. Perhaps the teams should be able to use a softer compound, shorter life tyre for their final stint in the race so that theres that extra performance boost right till the end and races dont risk having the last 10 laps filled with cars spearing off track from tyre wear and drivers slowing down with bad degredation.
    I am the Stig

He has a bit right, look what happenend to Raikonnen yesterday...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

this is utter bullshot. Engine makers have now managed the task to build an engine that lasts two races, so is it so much of a problem that tire makers have to come up with something that will last one race?

Also drivers have to acknowledge that excessive usage of the tires in the beginnig of a race will lead to problems at the end. They just have to change a mental gear and learn how to nurse the tires. Saying that the rule is dangerous is ridiculous. Coulthard himself refused to come in because of his position (and not because he felt in danger),. The same happened with Kimi, who decided to stay out, in spite of the flat spot being even clearly visible on TV. (Probably Alonso would have caught him anyway in the final lap, but that we will never know).
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

To be fair Raikkonen's accident isn't the fault of the rules - it was his fault for flat spotting the tyre so badly, and then not coming in to change it.

Therin lies the problem - the rules regarding tyre changing are so vague that drivers with slightly risky tyres will opt to stay out, at risk to themselves, and the other drivers, rather than risking disqualification for incorrectly changing a damaged tyre.

Like I said in the other thread - Raikkonens tyre was really bad for the last 10 laps or so - but at what point does the tyre become "dangerous"?

If the tyre was in not danger of puncturing or delaminating, and McLaren could not prove that there was a risk to the suspension, the FIA would probably have dq'ed them.
    Thanks for all the fish

also Kimmi Rakionen was locking up the front whells in the race alot and of course this will cause damage but I think the tyre manufactures can come up with a tyre that will last a bit longer.

I agree with DC on this, FIA chokes on a gnat and swallows an elephant when it comes to safety. In the name of safety cars and tracks were redesigned etc., but also they reintroduce refueling which creates a chance for fire and now this tyre rule is also dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia
    I agree with DC on this, FIA chokes on a gnat and swallows an elephant when it comes to safety. In the name of safety cars and tracks were redesigned etc., but also they reintroduce refueling which creates a chance for fire and now this tyre rule is also dangerous.
    I think regarding fires though its not an issue worth worrying about. There was that 1 fire last year with the Minardi of Bruni i believe, but that was fairly quickly put out and no damage was done.

From the ITV coverage i thought they were making it quite clear the tyre was delaminating, so there was no doubt the tyre was destroying itself. There shouldve been no doubt McLaren wouldve been allowed to change the tyre, i guess they just wanted to keep pushing.
    I am the Stig

may be it is time for some historic perspectives. In the past tyre changes were only done when the driver felt that something was wrong with it. Tyres were designed to last the race and tyre changes were not structural. That came about as it was found out that the time lost due to changing the tyres during the race was made up by the faster laptimes of the new tyres. and the training on very quick pitstops Hence it became an inbuilt feature of F!, (and many other types of motorsport).
    At the same time the circuits have become so sterile that overtaking has become next to impossible, (when there are more than 10 overtaking manoeuvres for postion these days we already have an "exciting" race).Most of the position gaining takes place during the pitstops but the one tyre rule brings back the action to the track where it should be. Drivers that are better in car control will have less tyre wear and if they can combine that with speed they stand to win races.

It is comparable to the old situtation during the turbo era where refuelling was not allowed. Drivers generous with the boost button in the beginning of the race had the risk of running out of fuel at the end. The same is now the case with drivers who are excessively using the tyres at the beginning of the races, they stand the risk to have none left at the end.

If the one tyre rule is dangeorus, then we should go back to a non-refuelling situation also, where coming into the pits will be the exception, rather than the rule. By allowing not more than one tyre (unless in case of having two deflated ones at the same time) to be changed, reversing to the old system with quick all-four changes will be prevented.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The turbo boost arguement is completely invalid. That's something that's regulated by turning a knob, whereas actual race pace is dictated by so many more aspects than the driver's right foot. Fuel consumption is predictable, whereas tyre wear seems to be quite surprising (see Renault at Monaco). Furthermore running out of fuel is not quite comparable with having to retire with a complete corner missing.

Why don't they just restrict the number of tires used throughout the weekend instead to cut costs? This is a very unsave situation and has already lead to a large number of accidents.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

the turbo argument is valid as it required the same restraint from the drivers to bring home the car. Over-enthusiasm in the past with the turbo boost resulted in running out gas, over-enthusiasm with tyres now results into tyre failures. The consequences of those may be graver than running out of fuel, but this is a driver's championship and they have to apply wisdom combined with speed. (why was Prost called Le Professeur? )

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Over-enthusiasm in the past with the turbo boost resulted in running out gas, over-enthusiasm with tyres now results into tyre failures.
    Like I said before pace is not as easily controlled as turbo boost. Furthermore slowly grinding to a halt with an empty tank is peanuts compared to crashing out at high speed.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    Like I said before pace is not as easily controlled as turbo boost. Furthermore slowly grinding to a halt with an empty tank is peanuts compared to crashing out at high speed.
    tire wear will be clearly visible, certainly by the driver for the front tires and by the team (and to a lesser extent the driver) for the rear ones. If he cares to drive on to risk a high speed crash than he is clearly responsible. (and at the same time irresponsible too). The whole issue boils down to the current incapability of the tyre manufacturers to come up with something that lasts the distance, and the current in built habit of drivers to be able to change tires after 20 laps or so and drive accordingly.

The issue for me is this one of a tyyre needing to be reaplced for "safety" rather than speed.

Taking the historical perspective again, yes in the "old days" tyre changes only happened when a problem. 'recent' method of using complete 4 tyre changes for performance benefits caused soem problems.

SO, rather than thrwing baby and bathwater out what the FIA SHOULD have done is tackled it at the root. So allow tyres to be changed when a driver needs it but prevent the all change for performance ? How ? DEAD EASY, only allow one tyre hammer in the pit. So a bit like NASCAR (IIRC) the team can change a damaged tyre very quickly, BUT if they try to change multiple tyres for performance gains it will hurt as it will take too long. Simple, the REAL problem is resolved. Do you think I should call the FIA and charge them consultancy fees ????

Also, remember the reason the pit has become more "dangerous" is the number of people who go out to a car. If as well as limiting the hammer they limit to only 2 or 3 "tyre changers" then at least there arent' 15 people standing outside every pit !!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Exactly how much does an F1 tire cost? It must be an obscene amount of money if the FIA saw it as a way to cut down on costs. I know the Goodyears used in NASCAR are about $1200 each, which is why the Busch series gets a set amount of tires per weekend.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    Exactly how much does an F1 tire cost? It must be an obscene amount of money if the FIA saw it as a way to cut down on costs. I know the Goodyears used in NASCAR are about $1200 each, which is why the Busch series gets a set amount of tires per weekend.
    THe amount of testing undertaken as tyre manufacturers tried to always produce a better version of each tyre was the big cost issue.
    10s of millions per team per year !!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information