Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theyre all idiots!

Theyre all idiots!

Well its finally happened. i cant find any links or stronger info on it yet as it was annouced this morning but pretty much at the end of this month all new NSW P platers will be under the same restrictions as Victorian P platers except for being 18 to get their license. This means:

-No V8s
    -No Turbos
    -No Fair

ALSO

There are to be restrictions on the number of passengers a P platers can carry. not sure of the details yet.

Even though im not affected by this im still pissed. Id love to look at the vechiles that p plate fatalities most commonly occur on and ill bet the "parents car" is one of the top 3. A 6cyl commodore or falcon has more standard HP then my 200SX turbo yet is not a "risk car" Where is the common sense? I can just as easily kill myself in my datsun, if not easier, then in my 200.

The NSW government now has failed (in my eyes) the introduce proper driver training and just restrict what can be driven. whats to say in 10 year P platers will only be allowed to drive 2L 4cyls and under? Theyre going to spend more money enforcing this then it would to subsidise advanced driver training or even defensive driver training for young drivers which would be FAR more beneficial to young drivers then simply restricting them.

Do they honestly think this will stop P platers driving V8s and Turbos? NO IT WONT N00BS! They can
    - rego it under their parents/older siblings
    - do an engine swap after rego
    - put a turbo in after rego

and various other ways around it. I can see a government failing to be re-elected because of this. Young people dont like to be restricted. If i couldnt drive the car i wanted because of some ignorant government law id find a way around it.

Basically to FPV and Whiteballz

GET YOU P's before the end of this month guys! youll be exempt then!

Also what the hells that about? being exempt if you have your Ps before the end of this month? how is that fair on new drivers? i can see the thinkn now "if only i was 2 weeks older i wouldnt be restricted"

resentment lasts a lifetime Mr Carr. Good luck dealing with it.
    The Datto will rage again...

here we go:
    http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/st...toryid=3244811

People's victory

By SIMON BENSON State Political Reporter

June 7, 2005

THE motorists of NSW have scored a stunning people's victory, with tough new P-plate laws to stop the carnage caused by young drivers.

Probationary drivers will be banned from driving high-powered cars and face restrictions on carrying passengers if they break the law. It follows a 10-month campaign – led by The Daily Telegraph – in which the families of youngsters killed and maimed on our roads pleaded for change.

No P1 or P2 driver will be able to drive high-powered vehicles – unless for work or exceptional circumstances.

P-plate drivers who have their licence suspended will not be allowed to carry more than one passenger for a period of 12 months.

Parents of some of the 24 young people who died in P-plate crashes since the campaign began said last night the laws were a victory for the people.

The regulations answer two of three things The Daily Telegraph readers asked for after 20-year-old Tim Hopkinson died in September 2004.

Roads Minister Michael Costa will today announce that from July 11:

P1 and P2 licence holders will be banned from driving turbo-charged, super-charged vehicles (diesel vehicles excepted), eight-cylinder vehicles and those with engine performance modifications. Exemptions will apply where powerful vehicles are required for genuine employment purposes, and where eight-cylinder 4WD vehicles are required by rural drivers;

A LIMIT of one passenger for 12 months will apply for P1 and P2 drivers who lose their licence because of a serious driving offence. The passenger restriction will apply when the licence is reissued;

NEW P-plate positioning, which also shows a driver's allowable speed limit and any restrictions, on licences;

CHANGES will not apply to current P-plate licence holders unless they are disqualified for an offence after July 11; and

A VEHICLE guide will be posted on the RTA website outlining the new rules.

The Daily Telegraph understands that other measures are expected to go before Cabinet for approval later in the year.

These will include higher standards for driver training – the third component of The Daily Telegraph campaign.

The laws would be reviewed by the Roads and Traffic Authority within 12 months.

"A 17-year-old driver with a P1 licence is about four times more likely to be involved in a fatal crash than a driver aged 26 or older," Mr Costa said.

"Each one of those fatalities represents a tragedy not only for the victims, but for their families and communities."

The new laws come from the NSW Government's Young Driver Discussion Paper, released last November, and a Road Users Summit in March.

The Daily Telegraph's delegate to that summit Rebecca Stanford – herself a P-plate accident victim – welcomed the reforms.
    peoples victory my arse!

well may be it really got so bad that they had to change some laws to protect the young dude's killing them self's...that's sucks doe!
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

its all because a few months back some n00bs took his dads R34 GTR with 900HPish and killed himself and two mates in it. Always the minority ruining it for the majority.

damn i never thought it would actually happen, but it did. what the f*ck would bob carr know anyway. dipshit hasn't got any kids and wouldn't understand some of major impacts this would have. seems the conservative voices have spoken. don't get me wrong something definately had to be done, i just think this is a bit much and it compounds the ineptitude of the government. the p1, p2 system is a load of crap and has done nothing for driver education or the road toll. so what do they do, add more restrictions. the system should have been scrapped and something realistic and practical be developed. i am with blue on this one, investing in the young drivers in the form of driver training would be a much better start...

EDIT: i just had a brain wave! driver education with Terry Tate... Time for some of Terry's special pain cake baby. Whoooh!
    Last edited by @wall; 06-06-2005 at 06:18 PM.
    "WHEN IT'S GAME TIME, IT'S PAIN TIME TIME BABY! WOOOH" ~ Terry Tate

I think it's only cause with a flick of your finger you can have the turbo maxed out and double the power. They belive the turbo's and superchargers can be easy upgrades for huge power gains at a cheap price.
    There are a lot of VL's going around here with ugly exteriors but turbo's under the bonnets that weren't there new.
    But when i went on my P's i think i was able to drive a VT SS But not sure about the Gen3 one. Restrictions are more important for L platters starting out.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

i don't really see the problem with these changes? won't it at least stop a few idiots(speaking from queensland on my opens...)
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    i don't really see the problem with these changes? won't it at least stop a few idiots(speaking from queensland on my opens...)
    hehe, i have had my license for ages as well but was part of the last era that got screwed by the 3 year P plate thing. Even when I had them they made various changes to speed and blood alcohol limits. All i am saying is they have applied so many 'band aids' if you like, to a system that was flawed from day one. They should scrap the lot and come up with something feasable, practical and obviously above all safe...

it appears to me that they do not put human basic instinc into any policy making.

1) the 95% of the driving prolulation are law obeying citizens, they will not intentionally drive like an idiot to endanger another motorist. even if the goverment allow no speed limit, they will not drive beyond what they drive now, they do want to go home and see their family

2) the rest of the 5% it doesn't matter what law they impose, speed limit 5km or whatever, they will drive 250 and do dumb ass things, drink 2 bottle of vodka and then drive and then kill themselves.

3) with restrictions, especailly dumb ones like that, it will only provoc people to think the law is ridiculas and eventually get to a stage no one will obey the law. 40km zone speed limit is a perfect example, who honestly drives 40kms in a 40km/h zone?

it doesn't matter what law they impose, they not going to stop the dumb mofos will still kill themselves on the streets. proper education is the only way. and to those parents, don't blame other people, don't blame the policy, take a good look at your self, did your kids learn something from your driving manners when they were on their L's? or just the fact that you are not a caring enough parent.

the hard fact is millions of motorists on the road every single day, national roadtoll is at what percentage? its higher than the national murder rate. but i don't see the government putting a new policy to impose harsher penarty for that... cause they know imposing a harsher penarty on motorists can make more money.

Quote Originally Posted by KELSA
    1) the 95% of the driving prolulation are law obeying citizens, they will not intentionally drive like an idiot to endanger another motorist. even if the goverment allow no speed limit, they will not drive beyond what they drive now, they do want to go home and see their family

2) the rest of the 5% it doesn't matter what law they impose, speed limit 5km or whatever, they will drive 250 and do dumb ass things, drink 2 bottle of vodka and then drive and then kill themselves.

3) with restrictions, especailly dumb ones like that, it will only provoc people to think the law is ridiculas and eventually get to a stage no one will obey the law. 40km zone speed limit is a perfect example, who honestly drives 40kms in a 40km/h zone?
    you put the problem so simply. You can make all these laws and punish responsible drivers, but the idiots who kill themselves are breaking the law anyway. the dipshit in the GTR was going 150, IN A 60 ZONE! the people who kill them selves break laws any way, so they'll just be breaking more. P-platers can just take them off. And people who already have their P's and a banned car are going to be pulled over heaps and have to show their licence
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

to prove they can drive it leagally. And it also says performance mods? how can you check for that? you have no idea that the p-plater in a 6-cyl commie or falcon next to you hasn't tuned it to 200kw with internals, cams and chips. Also 6.cyl cars aren't banned, so a p-plater could drive a slick tired, exceptionally tricky GT3 RS or M3 CSL, go faster than most 2l turbos and V8s, and annihilate themselves and some poor chump just trying to get to work? its just making a pain the ass for law abiding P-platers who have saved up to get a cool car and now can't drive it. The Telegraph can lick my balls. A heap of P-platers with banned cars should go doughies in their car park and Costas
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

stop being a bunch of pussies the government always does this. they did this with the gun buy back remember? similar situation. just accept it until they finally decide to change the flawed original system with a better one. you can't just change the whole system overnight
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I'll have to make sure i do that Bluey.....even if its just the damn auto license, i can go back later and do it in a manual.

This really is full of holes though. If they want to limit something, do power to weight or just an overall power cap. Most P platers would probably be happy with an overall 200kw power cap and maybe something like 125kw/tonne (that seems a bit excessive when you think about it). As it stands, i'll still be able to hoon around like crazy in my dads M3 (before he sells it of course) but my grandfathers V8 Fairmont is deemed too dangerous. Yeah right! F#cken d#ckheads
    I am the Stig

pretty much all its going to do is force p platers in falcons and commodores. im so glad i live in ACT. even if i lived in NSW this wouldnt affect me but damn id be pissed for poor Whiteballz right now. he wanted a subby and now he'll have to settle for a 2.5 non turbo instead of 2LT. what morons!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra
    pretty much all its going to do is force p platers in falcons and commodores. im so glad i live in ACT. even if i lived in NSW this wouldnt affect me but damn id be pissed for poor Whiteballz right now. he wanted a subby and now he'll have to settle for a 2.5 non turbo instead of 2LT. what morons!
    yeh blue, i am gonna email terry tate and get his ass down to the state parliament to get those retards into gear. some of his special pain cake should sort them out

Thread Information