Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheels car of the year

Wheels car of the year

Wheels has just released there car of the year which happened to be the mazda rx8 and i was just wondering what u guys think about that. I thought that ford's ba falcon rightly won this honor last year but i'm not so sure about the rx8 this year (even though i love the car). Any way just want to know your opinion on this.

i'm an idiot, sorry guys should have read the other threads before post something if u want post something go for it just don't bag me out... too much

interesting how 2 threads were made about the same topic, no matter anyway, i personally think the RX-8 deserved the win and deserves credit for coming out on top from some fairly stiff competition from the new prius, accord euro, new liberty, toyota kluger, the new maxima and the 350Z, next year though could be a very quiet one with the big entries the fiesta and territory
    I am the Stig

Unhappy

how about Renault Megane' I like the Megane'

the Renault Megan although being European Car Of The Year only made it past the 2 rounds of selection. it got scratched out in the first set of elimination tests. wheels complained about rear legroom and footroom for the class, boot room, the electric power steering lacked response at high speeds and was weighted too light, it kicked back over rough roads. basically a car built for soft euro roads and cant handle the tough stuff dished out here
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    basically a car built for soft euro roads and cant handle the tough stuff dished out here
    Yep, a French car with French handling
    BUT, there are handling packages which make it more 'mainstream Europe'.

well in general french cars arent accepted here all that well, their abstract styling doesnt go down too well and they more often then not think they can sell us a product that quite frankly we dont want. most european manufacturers just change the tires and minor suspension adjustments to suit rough australian roads but i thik Renault missed the idea on this one. its not quite as bad as in america where manufacturers have to put in soppy suspension to absorb the large bumps in the road where the slabs of concrete join like on freeway onramps but mianly to deal with coarse rural roads that make a hell of a lot of noise
    I am the Stig

When FoMoCo introduced the first XK Falcon in Australia they kept the same suspension set up as was on the American Fords and they were not suitable enough for the harsh Australian terrain, When a few of the Ford executives went for a test drive in the car they clamied that the rear suspension nearly went through the back seat, they sorted it out with the XM model and by the time the XT came out it was as tough as nails, claiming 3rd 7th and 9th in the london to sydney marathon. (last 2 figures may not be enitirly accurate) but they did all finish in the top ten... and they won the overall best team category. Interesting to note there were 3 HK Monaros entered with small block chevs but they were no match finishing well down the order and even having mechanical failure.

frmo the original 1960 XK it took them until the 1965 XM to get everything sorted. to prove its worthiness and durability Ford test drove a flock of XM's around the You Yangs proving ground in Melbourne for 70,000 miles straight. the biggest problem with the XK was the front suspension as the lower arms would snap
    I am the Stig

By the Xm they had the car well and trully sorted, interesting to note the xm falcon was the first aussie 2 door coupe made aswell!

well they would have all been things that made the car eligible for wheels COTY at the time
    I am the Stig

Smile

. I agree the rx8 is a great car, it deserved to win.

im surprised i havent heard John Laws say anything about the Prius not winning, he had a bloody good winge when the barina beat the Prius. i think Toyota should take him off their payroll, things like this dont exactly put out a good image for toyota
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by SHAKER
    claiming 3rd 7th and 9th in the london to sydney marathon
    Was that 1968 ?
    To bring two threads together ... that'll be the year when 5 of the top 10 were small high-revving (for the day ) 4 cylinder engines

BTW, nice period article on the Falcons at http://www.falcongt.com.au/L2SM.html
    One thing to praise them on is the bodies were unmodified as the Hunter and BMC Landcrabs were heavily modified to ctake the punishment. I've sat in the Landcrab, you wouldn't have got me rallying it

( Is it true the Falcon bodies were unmodified ? I ask because Andy Dawson once admitted that the Avenger he won a championship in had had a tube inserted INSIDE the door pillars to strengthen the car. A srcutineer would have had to cut the pillar to realise it so no one found out
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 01-26-2004 at 07:18 AM.

yeah it would have been 1968, thats when the XT falcon was released
    I am the Stig

Thread Information