Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49

Thread: Front wheel drive, rear wheel drive or all wheel drive?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9

    Front wheel drive, rear wheel drive or all wheel drive?

    Which do you prefer? i would go for a rear wheel drive coz i can get a nice drag on the car. All wheel drive is great for rainy and snowy conditions, but i feel it is too safe and the driver loses the pleasure and thrill of driving.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Philadelphia PA, U.S.A.
    Posts
    343

    Rear drive....

    it's lighter than all wheel drive, plus it just makes sense...

    When you accelerate the car's weight will transfer to the rear wheels giving them more traction, which helps because those are the drive wheels of course. Also I think it helps quite a bit to seperate the tasks of powering the car, and steering the car. It allows the front wheels to do a better job of turning as well as breaking.

    Finally, it's just much less technically complex than all wheel drive.
    Most wanted cars:

    Ford GT, Aston Martin DB9, Nissan Skyline R-34 V-Spec II, 2004 SVT Cobra Mustang, VW Golf R32, TVR Cerbera 4.5, Ford Focus RS, Aston Martin Vanquish S

    Still waiting.....Shelby Cobra, Shelby GR1, 2006 Ford Lightning, Next generation SVT Mustang Cobra 2006? Mazda Speed RX8

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    5,773
    RWD. I've got much too say, but basically, for a sports car, it's the most logical way to do it. However, If you don't really care about your car, feel free to commute in your Toyota Echo

    FWD cars are the best for people who probably didn't even realise that their car is powered by the front wheels. Because, of course, they could care less

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,153
    This is simple. Rear wheel drive for road cars. Power steerable, no torque steer and predictable. More traction on slippery surfaces. Requires more driver skill than on road all wheel drive. Four wheel drive for off road, its the only way, preferably with a lift kit and diff locks. Front wheel drive for girls (no offence Dragon Knight (welcome to the forums by the way )).
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
    Posts
    27,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    FWD cars are the best for people who probably didn't even realise that their car is powered by the front wheels. Because, of course, they could care less
    Having rallied Minis ( real ones ) and currently competing against them NOTHING can beat a front wheel drive car in autotest sections.
    Using the tricks the scandinavians taught us all their is an equal handling experience of rwd.
    And in a crazy world, the Japanese have created the skill of drifting FWDs.
    We only used the handbrake to do 90+ turns, they use them to go full throttle sideways around ovals !! Is it a godd thing - I've not decided yet

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    This is simple. Rear wheel drive for road cars. Power steerable, no torque steer and predictable. More traction on slippery surfaces. Requires more driver skill than on road all wheel drive. Four wheel drive for off road, its the only way, preferably with a lift kit and diff locks. Front wheel drive for girls (no offence Dragon Knight (welcome to the forums by the way )).


    Well said mate. i just don't know y they produce fwd vehicles.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Having rallied Minis ( real ones ) and currently competing against them NOTHING can beat a front wheel drive car in autotest sections.
    Using the tricks the scandinavians taught us all their is an equal handling experience of rwd.
    And in a crazy world, the Japanese have created the skill of drifting FWDs.
    We only used the handbrake to do 90+ turns, they use them to go full throttle sideways around ovals !! Is it a godd thing - I've not decided yet

    Awesome dude! i think i gotta go learn these skills of scandinavia!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Chalk River, On. Canada
    Posts
    29
    RWD all the way! Peace!
    2003 Cadillac CTS
    2000 Buell Lightning X1
    1990 Volvo 740 GLE Wag-on

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by morobas
    Well said mate. i just don't know y they produce fwd vehicles.
    they build em cuz theyre cheaper to manufacture dude. plus ud always go for the all-wheel-drive. rear wheel drive dragsters, sure enough, are cheaper to make fast. but a 12sec AWD will always be faster than a 12sec rear/front wheel drive. its just a fundamently faster car in all types of situations and terrain because it has something more than any other type; traction

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
    Posts
    27,777
    Quote Originally Posted by DiabloVT
    they build em cuz theyre cheaper to manufacture dude. plus ud always go for the all-wheel-drive. rear wheel drive dragsters, sure enough, are cheaper to make fast. but a 12sec AWD will always be faster than a 12sec rear/front wheel drive. its just a fundamently faster car in all types of situations and terrain because it has something more than any other type; traction
    ?????

    A "12 sec" awd needs a lot more power than a rwd.

    AWDs have large power losses in the drivetrain.
    For equal power output at the flywheel an AWD needs at least another 20-30bhp to match the 1/4 mile and track times of a RWD. ) road cars - drag cars are something too specialised to use for comparison.
    Then there's the extra weight for awd which needs MORE power again !!

    When you talk about cheaper, it 'depends'.
    rwd need less engineering deisgn effort to get it right - more so if performance is a major requirement.
    Getting it all into a compact fwd design takes more design engineering and their insn't a huge win in materials to build.

    The real reason for fwd is it makes the passenger compartment more flixible and sopce for more people space.

    Getting awd needs space for props, transfer diffs and axles.

    ??? I'm still confused what you're proposing ????

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
    Posts
    27,777
    Quote Originally Posted by morobas
    Awesome dude! i think i gotta go learn these skills of scandinavia!
    Don't know where you might find it now, but there was a film made in the sixties by BP or Shell which showed Blomquvist's feet and hands as he drove the mini. Everyone studied it to find out how these guys could make the Mini turn so tightly, effortlessly and FASTER than anyone else.

    Great quote from Blonquvist in the film that I remember was ...
    "the way to get a Mini round a corner fast is to enter the corner 20mph faster than you think it could be taken and then turn the wheel. As the car starts to understeer, come off the throttle. The Mini will turn in and when the exit is seen apply throttle again"

    I miss rallying the Mini

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    ?????

    A "12 sec" awd needs a lot more power than a rwd.

    AWDs have large power losses in the drivetrain.
    For equal power output at the flywheel an AWD needs at least another 20-30bhp to match the 1/4 mile and track times of a RWD. ) road cars - drag cars are something too specialised to use for comparison.
    Then there's the extra weight for awd which needs MORE power again !!

    When you talk about cheaper, it 'depends'.
    rwd need less engineering deisgn effort to get it right - more so if performance is a major requirement.
    Getting it all into a compact fwd design takes more design engineering and their insn't a huge win in materials to build.

    The real reason for fwd is it makes the passenger compartment more flixible and sopce for more people space.

    Getting awd needs space for props, transfer diffs and axles.

    ??? I'm still confused what you're proposing ????

    I agree with u all the way. AWD does make the car heavier and a little toooo safe for my liking!!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Having rallied Minis ( real ones ) and currently competing against them NOTHING can beat a front wheel drive car in autotest sections.
    Ok , girls and Autotests then.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    St Marys Western Sydney
    Posts
    20,953
    i think FWD should be kept away from things with more than 200hp. my personall favourite of the 3 would be RWD as its generally easier to work with and is alot less cluttered under the bonnet. as for AWD its really just something for offroad cars or for those people who wouldnt drive because of the conditions unless they felt safe enough
    I am the Stig

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    Ok , girls and Autotests then.

    Well said!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •