Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: International Engine of the year 2005 is.....

International Engine of the year 2005 is.....

BMW wins International Engine of the Year 2005

The new M5 V10 5.0-litre engine wins top honours

BMW has established three new records while scooping top honours in the International Engine of the Year awards with the 5.0-litre V10 unit from the new M5.

The 507bhp powerplant of the BMW M5 and forthcoming M6 Coupé won the overall Engine of the Year award for 2005, with a panel of judges from around the world praising the engine's flexibility, high revving nature (the engine can rev to 8,250rpm) and sublime power. The 4,999cc unit was a clear winner of the overall title with the V10 engine's stiffest competition coming from the 3.0-litre twin-turbo diesel engine that powers the BMW 535d. That engine took second place overall.

BMW is the only manufacturer to have ever been awarded a total of six category wins in a single year and its overall tally of 26 awards now means the company has achieved more first place trophies than any other engine manufacturer in the history of the competition. The 3.2-litre engine from the BMW M3 took top honours in its category for the fifth time in succession, another record for the Engine of the Year awards.

Bernhard Gobmeier, Head of Product and Processing at M GmbH, said: "Winning overall honours in the Engine of the Year awards is a huge achievement and one which rewards our engineers' capabilities and enthusiasm. By making a product that has variable peak power outputs and low down torque combined with high revving characteristics, the M5 driver has at their disposal one of the most powerful yet flexible production engines in the world."

In addition to winning the overall title the 5.0-litre V10 engine also achieved several class victories. It won the best engine in the 4.0-litre and over category, eclipsing powerplants from the Ferrari F430 and VW Touareg and Phaeton, and the prize for best new engine for 2005. The final accolade for the V10 unit was to be crowned best performance engine, beating powerplants from Ferrari and Mercedes.

But BMW's success wasn't just limited to the V10 engine. The 3.0-litre twin-turbo diesel unit powering the 535d also won its class, as did the 3.2-litre engine used in the iconic M3.

Jim O'Donnell, Managing Director of BMW (UK) Ltd, said: "We are delighted with this year's EOTY results, particularly as a diesel engine was rewarded by a global panel. Those BMW buyers not able to stretch to a V10-powered M5 can enjoy another high performing 5 Series safe in the knowledge that the industry sees it as the benchmark mid-capacity engine. BMW's continued dominance of the awards confirms that our petrol and diesel engines are seen as the best in the business."

BMW's record awards haul in full:

International Engine of the Year Award 2005
    1 BMW 5.0-litre V10
    2 BMW 3.0-litre twin-turbo straight-six diesel
    3 Toyota 1.5-litre hybrid

Best New Engine Award 2005
    1 BMW 5.0-litre V10
    2 Ferrari 4.3-litre V8
    3 Toyota 3.3-litre hybrid

Best Engine Above 4.0-litre Award 2005
    1 BMW 5.0-litre V10
    2 Ferrari 4.3-litre V8
    3 VW 5.0-litre V10 diesel

Best Performance Engine Award 2005
    1 BMW 5.0-litre V10
    2 Ferrari 4.3-litre V8
    3 Mercedes AMG 6.0-litre twin-turbo

Best Engine 2.5-litre to 3-litre Award 2005
    1 BMW 3.0-litre twin-turbo straight-six diesel
    2 Honda 3.0-litre hybrid
    3 BMW 3.0-litre straight-six

Best Engine 3.0-litre to 4.0-litre Award 2005
    1 BMW 3.2-litre straight-six
    2 Porsche 3.8-litre
    3 Toyota 3.3-litre hybrid

Wow BMW first in every catergory.

was this a bmw funded award
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

congrats to bmw but what about engines under 2.5 litres?

must not exist

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    was this a bmw funded award
    I don't think they would cheat to get awarded...

I'm guessing that there are more awards than mentioned there.

This contest is like the car of the year contest. It's as official as it gets. I'm sure tha car companies will do what they can to influence some votes, but hey, it happens in every contest.
    Still I think it's silly to vote as best engine a 5 litre lump. it's like when they voted as car of the year a luxury merc coupe back in the seventies. I'm sure it was a better car than most, but few can afford it.

WHAT, a 5 litre lump???

without having even looked at the results I would have voted for the 3-litre twin turbo diesel. Glad to see it arrived second, but it of much more importance than the M5 engine, which will only be built in relatively small numbers
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

this is old news i knew it for about a week now

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    this is old news i knew it for about a week now
    1 whole week old, That is really old mate.

What was the criteria? Did they take into account availability, or just a straight shootout for the best engine on performance credentials
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    without having even looked at the results I would have voted for the 3-litre twin turbo diesel. Glad to see it arrived second, but it of much more importance than the M5 engine, which will only be built in relatively small numbers
    Well there are categories. The Diesels are not in the same category with petrol.
    Nevertheless, as Euro manufacturers are promoting the use of Diesel powerplants, I suppose it won't be long until Diesels get awarded more often

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    What was the criteria? Did they take into account availability, or just a straight shootout for the best engine on performance credentials
    They take into account factors such as
    -Fuel Economy
    -Pioneering Technology Implemented
    -Driveability
    -NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness)
    -Price

I think that sums it all up. You must be good in all categories. Now how a 5 litre engine is fuel efficient, I don't know. A few years earlier they awarded the Renesis which is famous for its bad fuel consumption. They should know better

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight
    Now how a 5 litre engine is fuel efficient, I don't know. A
    it can be very efficient !! offcourse it burns more fuel, but it also delivers more power for that fuel !!!

Thread Information