Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Just 6 drivers at USA Grand Prix

Quote Originally Posted by SIMPLETON
    Steve Matchett on Speed made a good point on speed that if problems had happenned to the Bridgestones, there would be very little sympathy for Ferrari.
    That's true, but also just the way it goes. It's some weird human nature thing that when one team outperforms all the rest for many years, the people start to want other teams to win too.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver
    We didn't buy tickets to the race. We only went to qualifying and that has suddenly seemed like a good thing.

This is going to destroy F1 in this country, despite any efforts. Why couldn't the FIA just suck it up change the course and then the race would of gone on fine.
    There is nothing wrong with the course. Both IRL and NASCAR use that corner in its unaltered state. The problem is that Michelin brought a tire that was incapable of running through that corner. Tire companies don't get to dictate what courses are run and how.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

I have really started to got into formula now, before not being really interested in it.

So I turn on today and find that only 6 people are racing as Michelin pull out after parade lap due to safety, ie the two tyre failures in open practice.

I think that Michelin made the rigt decision but not a very smart one. It doesn't go well for F1 in america and most of the teams competing have a big market over in america, and this doesn't make it look good.

If the F1 bosses hadn't been so stubborn and just brought new tyres over yesterday, none of this would have happpened. And I know it is a breach of rules but isn't th main purpose of the sport to entertain? And how many people are being entertained by the race today? NONE.
    "The thunder of 1001bhp would send a sonic boom through his carbon fibre shell, crack it in half and leave a wet puddle on the fancy leather seat."

NEWS BULLETIN

Jean Todt, Max Mosely and Michael Schumacher were seen in balaclavas tip-toeing across the pit-area before the friday practise session for the USA grand prix. The indianapolis sheriff believes that they injected poppers into brother Ralfs tyres, consequently causing his accident identical to that of last years shunt in his BMW Williams on turn 13 of the USA GP. Thus forcing Michelin to boycott the race, leaving just 6 Bridgestone runners in the race. With obvious dominators Ferrari leading their way to victory. The situation has begun thorough investiagtion into the rumour that the FIA will do anything to let Ferrari win the Formula 1 World Championship.
    Last edited by Cotterik; 06-19-2005 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    There is nothing wrong with the course. Both IRL and NASCAR use that corner in its unaltered state. The problem is that Michelin brought a tire that was incapable of running through that corner. Tire companies don't get to dictate what courses are run and how.
    Did you hear them discussing about how IMS made such a mess of the track resurfacing that IRL had to cancel a test session, the track had to be repaired and only then could IRL re-schedule the session. NASCAR cancelled a test as well. Unfortunately, F1 didn't have any testing at the track since the resurfacing and I think Michelin was simply caught out by the grip, the abrasion or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat77
    Did you hear them discussing about how IMS made such a mess of the track resurfacing that IRL had to cancel a test session, the track had to be repaired and only then could IRL re-schedule the session. NASCAR cancelled a test as well. Unfortunately, F1 didn't have any testing at the track since the resurfacing and I think Michelin was simply caught out by the grip, the abrasion or whatever.
    F1 doesn't test at Indy anyway. The track was resurfaced, it was garbage. It was fixed. The IRL ran 500 miles in a race and thousands of miles in practice and qualifying, and there were no problems.

The problem for the IRL cars was a lack of grip. They were spinning the tires all the way through 5th gear. The problem for the F1 cars were the loads on the tires through NASCAR/Indy turn 1. Not grip.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik
    NEWS BULLETIN

Jean Todt, Max Mosely and Michael Schumacher were seen in balaclavas tip-toeing across the pit-area before the friday practise session for the USA grand prix. The indianapolis sheriff believes that they injected poppers into brother Ralfs tyres, consequently causing his accident identical to that of last years shunt in his BMW Williams on turn 13 of the USA GP. Thus forcing Michelin to boycott the race, leaving just 6 Bridgestone runners in the race. With obvious dominators Ferrari leading their way to victory. The situation has begun thorough investiagtion into the rumour that the FIA will do anything to let Ferrari win the Formula 1 World Championship.
    Did Ferrari supply the Michelin tires???
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Didn't you get the memo? Ferrari is evil, and everything that is wrong with F1 is their fault.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Didn't you get the memo? Ferrari is evil, and everything that is wrong with F1 is their fault.
    Yeap, where do you think the color on their car comes from.

i am not on the mailing list

Suppose it would have been the other way around and Bridgestone had the Michelin problems. Would we have seen even a suggestion to build a chicane?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

There may not be anything wrong w/ the track but what it comes down to is, change the track so that all teams can race or have what happened. I dont think it matters if the track was the problem or not but if changing the track would allow a normal race then thats what should have happened. I mean i would think they would have tried all they could to have a race that at least resembeled normality. In my opinion changing one turn would result in alot better race then what happened. That way the precise tire rules wouldnt have been broken, the michelins could last this race and the problem be fixed after, and all cars would race on an even playing field. but this is just stupid.

Exactly, Ferrari has been on the opposite side of the tire situation this year. And everyone has been on the bandwagon of "it's their own fault." Which it is. But the second Michelin has a problem, everyone wants the rules bent all over the place. It doesn't work both ways.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

no..they booby trapped them

i am not on the mailing list

Suppose it would have been the other way around and Bridgestone had the Michelin problems. Would we have seen even a suggestion to build a chicane?
    No, but that's partially because there's only six cars (including the four least competitive ones) using Bridgestones against the 14 using Michelins. Of course the rules should be the same for everyone and probably it was for the best that today they were. I mean, think about the protest Ferrari could have made if the race was driven on a modified circuit.

Post number one hundred!

Ok, first of all, the sport itself doesn't suck, so suck it up. Just because Michelin chickened out, that doesn't mean Formula 1 sucks, stupid. I really hate people who use whatever means to diss sports for no reason.

I am happy, Ferrari won, I don't care how they did it. They had the guts to race and they deserve it. They had no problems and didn't pussied out like the other teams.
    Like Monteiro said (third finisher), I don't care how odd the race was, nobody will take my happiness from me. He was happy he got third place and I don't blame him.

Thirdly, Americans really have no freaking respect (no surprise there). It's disgusting seeing them throw garbage onto the track. I understand they paid a lot of money and were really looking forward to a good race but don't take it on the drivers who did absolutely nothing. They should be thanking those 6 drivers that at least they had something to look at.

Fourthly, Michelin is stupid or should I say the teams that chickened out are stupid. Danger is part of the sport, you have to take risks. No I'm not saying the drivers should be killed but they are getting paid millions of dollars to race. Now, Michelin said there might be problems that the tires would not be able to last for the whole race, so then if the team sees that there are major cracks in the tires, they are allowed to change them. That's what should have been done. Race, take precation, maybe not push so hard and change tires at least once or preferably twice.

But hey, this race was somewhat more exciting than previous ones. I mean, Schumacher pulled Barrichelo out!
    "To control 800 horsepower relying just on arm muscles and foot sensitivity can turn out to be a dangerous exercise."
    Michael Schumacher

Thread Information