Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green light for Sydney V8 street race?

Green light for Sydney V8 street race?

http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/st...2,00.html#form

Thriving frogs could be green light for V8s
    Ray Kershler
    24jun05

Could the endangered green and golden bell frog be responsible for opening the way for a V8 Supercar race at the Olympic precinct at Homebush Bay?

For years now, V8 officials have harboured dreams of a street race in Sydney with a circuit around the Olympic Stadium seen as the preferred option.

But to date, the NSW Government has resisted all blandishments. The regular feelers from the depths of the Gold Coast boardroom where V8 policy is determined have so far been rebuffed.

"Sydney is our biggest market and it would be nice to put on a major event in the demographic heart of Sydney which probably would go beyond just being a motor race," says AVESCO chief Wayne Cattach.

"We've had a close look at the logistics and know we can put on an exciting performance. There is an easily identifiable track we could construct. In our opinion, Sydney needs more major events."

Generally speaking, there have been three reasons proffered for the brick-wall approach from the Government.

The first is that Premier Bob Carr is not a motorsport-type person. Scurrilous rumour suggests he is not even a sporting type.

However he gave up a Sunday morning recently to flag off Mark Webber when the Aussie F1 driver did his Sydney Harbour Bridge crossing prior to the big Melbourne street race called the Grand Prix. Was that a chink in his seemingly armour-plated attitude?

The second is that street circuits cost loads of money. Certainly, Homebush Bay would create minimum interference to the daily life of residents (certainly compared to closing the streets of a major city). Such a race, however, would still require a financial input from local authorities which are deemed to retrieve their investment and more by the economic return of ancillary benefits.

Tony Cochrane, the chairman of the board of AVESCO, which runs V8 Supercar racing, has long maintained that, compared to other sports, governments have given all motor sport categories short shrift when it comes to financial assistance.

With a state election due next year, Cochrane is certain to remind officers of the NSW Government that motor sport fans vote too.

The third reason the Government is thought to have been reluctant to embrace the roar and the thunder of motor sport at Homebush Bay is the green and golden bell frog. This small, amphibious creature pulls more than its own weight when it comes to environmental pressure.

The frogs were discovered in the abandoned brickpit at Homebush Bay during the Olympic construction and forced organisers to shift the site of the tennis venue.

Now a $6.5-million sanctuary for the frogs, the Brickpit Ring, is to be established at the site and should be open to the public by the Christmas holidays.

The once endangered little critter has now a healthy population of somewhere between 500 and 700, undaunted by more than a million visitors to the Park last year.

With the green and yellow bell frog seemingly safe in its natural habitat, one of the more delicate negotiating chips in talks about a V8 race might have been removed from the equation.
    Some will be wishing this is to replace Oran Park, but i think with the Konica's possibly doing the F1 event next year and Oran Park being torn up, Cochrane will jump on Sepang and Bahrain to add to the category's international arsenal, and any Homebush track will probably replace Eastern Creek.
    I am the Stig

jesus! do u ever stop posting!!?

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik
    jesus! do u ever stop posting!!?
    Only when he's sleeping or dead.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Only when he's sleeping or dead.
    he doesn't sleep

i'd love to see a V8 supercar series with a race in every major city, that would be cool
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    he doesn't sleep
    If i didnt sleep, i WOULD be dead

Cochrane i think has the major plan to have the 4 major international events by the end of the decade, and other than Bathurst, Sandown and perhaps Phillip Island still as the final event, fill the rest with street races or at least fairly good tracks. Already hes thinking of making a Townsville Street Race to replace Queensland Raceway on the calender, and he wanted the Aukland or Wellington street race in NZ.
    I am the Stig

townsville is a bit of a drive, unfortunately, but the race itself would be good. still, i'm happy for any motorsport within driving distance
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Street races seem to be a gamble though. When you look at Adelaide, Albert Park and Surfer's, theyve all been successes for us, but one of the biggest issues going to Shanghai was the thought that apparently earlier, the DTM's i think it was tried a Shanghai street race and it was a massive failure. We got lucky on that one, theyre even predicting the race to end up being more popular than the F1 event
    I am the Stig

it just appeals to me more to have the cars racing through a circuit made of streets i know (and maybe drive on myself) than on some track i've never been to.

yeah, definately. if you can recognise the streets on the TV between being stuck in 9-5 traffic to sedans going 200km/h+ theres more appeal.
    I am the Stig

I dont like it not one little bit.

IMO bring back phillip island its Historical and under new mangement they are improveing not only the track but the facilitys for the people. This is why they made the changes to get the v8 supercars back and phillip island is one of the quintessential australian raceing tracks.

Theyre back at Phillip Island, i suppose someone figured having 2 rounds at Eastern Creek was a waste.....
    I am the Stig

I wish they would come back to calder so i can see the track and learn from it so i can beat my brother
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

maybe the konica's could go there, comparing china to some tracks like barbagallo, it really shows up how crap some of our tracks are in comparison.
    I am the Stig

Yes didnt they look great on that track you could see a real world class new track there, What a frill it must have been for them to drive around on it
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

its surprising how many people elsewhere would rather stick to tracks like barbagallo, oran park, eastern creek, mallala, hidden valley and winton than actually go to GOOD tracks. i personally think its a mockery that at some events, the pit garages are what some people would use for a portable garage! these are the tracks being sent pictures of worldwide and making the face of the V8's
    I am the Stig

Thread Information