Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird Science - Zombie Dogs

Weird Science - Zombie Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by News.au.com

SCIENTISTS have created eerie zombie dogs, reanimating the canines after several hours of clinical death in attempts to develop suspended animation for humans.

US scientists have succeeded in reviving the dogs after three hours of clinical death, paving the way for trials on humans within years.

Pittsburgh's Safar Centre for Resuscitation Research has developed a technique in which subject's veins are drained of blood and filled with an ice-cold salt solution.

The animals are considered scientifically dead, as they stop breathing and have no heartbeat or brain activity.

But three hours later, their blood is replaced and the zombie dogs are brought back to life with an electric shock.

Plans to test the technique on humans should be realised within a year, according to the Safar Centre.

However rather than sending people to sleep for years, then bringing them back to life to benefit from medical advances, the boffins would be happy to keep people in this state for just a few hours,

But even this should be enough to save lives such as battlefield casualties and victims of stabbings or gunshot wounds, who have suffered huge blood loss.
    During the procedure blood is replaced with saline solution at a few degrees above zero. The dogs' body temperature drops to only 7C, compared with the usual 37C, inducing a state of hypothermia before death.

Although the animals are clinically dead, their tissues and organs are perfectly preserved.

Damaged blood vessels and tissues can then be repaired via surgery. The dogs are brought back to life by returning the blood to their bodies,giving them 100 per cent oxygen and applying electric shocks to restart their hearts.

Tests show they are perfectly normal, with no brain damage.
    "The results are stunning. I think in 10 years we will be able to prevent death in a certain segment of those using this technology," said one US battlefield doctor.
    Original Link: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-13762,00.html

--

Makes one wonder if movies get their ideas from science or the other way around ;-)
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

As long as they don't become anything like in the movies.

But that's some wierd science.
    Question: Why?

3 hours dead... I was wondering, how long time without oxygen does it take until the brains are damaged?

so zombie movies come to life?........I HATE ZOMBIE MOVIES!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by twinspark
    3 hours dead... I was wondering, how long time without oxygen does it take until the brains are damaged?
    The brain isn't damaged if the tissue is kept cold - hence the freezing salt water solution.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    The brain isn't damaged if the tissue is kept cold - hence the freezing salt water solution.
    My bad, didn't read carefully enough. Though the temp must be kept over 0 degrees Celsius (7 degrees here) to prevent ice, so there must be a certain amount of time how long they can use the salt water. I don't think 7 degrees is cold enough to prevent the brain from damaging, it just takes longer.

they probably use salty water because it freezes at lower temperatures.in normal conditions the brain damages when it hasnt been supplied with oxygen in about 15-30 minutes !

wow, death can be avoided! woo!

woo, lets **** with mother nature even more woot who cares about the catestrophic effects yay celebrate
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    they probably use salty water because it freezes at lower temperatures.
    Exactly. But there's still water in the tissues, so the temp must still be kept over zero. Otherwise they could keep bodies sub zero forever without them being harmed.

Even though the Legend of the zombie stayed as a myth as some of you call it, or either as the one thats most Feared, movies with zombies like evil dead, just go to show that the reputation of the so called "zombie" has been diabolical, even though that when they think they were wrong, these scientist's have proven that zombies do excist, which won't make them come out of their coffin, it's just unrealistic if you think about it, even in magazines sometimes shows that zombies can be ressurrected, even though in ten years this research will show nothing but collosal mischief, the fact calling it zaombies is just wrong, it is called resurrection or re-encarnation is it? anyway the myth of the zombies stays undead until this research was pulled on dogs made a science break through, even though. It might not work.

Sorry about spelling
    Last edited by cuntukimushroom; 06-28-2005 at 10:44 AM.
    There is 3 people on a boat with loads of children running around it, the 3 people are: 1. Bob geldof, 2. Ozzy Osbourne, and 3. Micheal jackson, they're sailing out for the G8 live aid, they've hit a rock and they're sinking, bob says: "save the children!" ozzy says: "Fuc the children!"

Micheal says "have we got time?"

Quote Originally Posted by cuntukimushroom
    Even though the Legend of the zombie stayed as a myth as some of you call it, or either as the one thats most Feared, movies with zombies like evil dead, just go to show that the reputation of the so called "zombie" has been diabolical, even though that when they think they were wrong, these scientist's have proven that zombies do excist, which won't make them come out of their coffin, it's just unrealistic if you think about it, even in magazines sometimes shows that zombies can be ressurrected, even though in ten years this research will show nothing but collosal mischief, the fact calling it zaombies is just wrong, it is called resurrection or re-encarnation is it?
    Longest run-on sentence ever.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Quote Originally Posted by d-quik
    woo, lets **** with mother nature even more woot who cares about the catestrophic effects yay celebrate
    imo you're too conservative
    imagine good things that you can do with it - avoiding murders, death accidents and so on
    12 cylinders or walk!

I can't wait to hear the Religous people's comments on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik
    wow, death can be avoided! woo!
    I pitty you mortals
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Thread Information