Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just so you know ;)

Just so you know ;)

UPC's most heavy Bawls drinker. :D

I didn't know..I do now!
    Looking at it...I'm pretty sure I've seen this before somewhere? or those exact same pics anyway..
    Has he tried selling it before? I KNOW i've seen those pictures before...god I hate deja vu!!
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

That is a helluva car and its just a couple miles down the road from me.

Quote Originally Posted by shr0olvl
    That is a helluva car and its just a couple miles down the road from me.
    so go get some MORE pics!!

Being nice since 2007.

Unfortunately, I'd guess he's probably selling it because it won't pass the smog inspection, so it is no longer road legal. (In Ohio at least you don't have to pass smog for the first few years).

$125 large is a steal for a car that rare.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

To be honest, reading the price list it doesn't look like very good bang for your buck at all.

The work on the engine/exhaust comes to 25,200 Euros without VAT!!!

DMS Automotive in the UK can give you the same 550bhp with 530lb/ft for just £4348. (Split roughly half and half between a sports exhaust and a bit of jiggery-pokery with the ECU)

Basically the majority of the power gains in a conversion like that are just from fiddling with the ECU. To charge over 20,000 Euros for someone to sit with a laptop and a rolling road and fiddle about a bit does not seem like money well spent to me!

And all the cosmetic bits they've stuck on are barely noticable anyway to the untrained eye. I certainly don't think it's any kind of improvement over the looks of the standard 996 Turbo IMHO. I think it's over-priced and over-hyped.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

It takes a lot of time to devolve a modern ECU. And it takes even longer to rebuild the code so it'll be better, and at the same time not effect any other systems. Plus, RUF isn't going to sell 10,000+ units like Hondata or GIAC will, so their R&D costs are spread out over fewer sales. And besides, Porsche owners will pay that for their upgrades. So why not sell them for that much?
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    It takes a lot of time to devolve a modern ECU. And it takes even longer to rebuild the code so it'll be better, and at the same time not effect any other systems. Plus, RUF isn't going to sell 10,000+ units like Hondata or GIAC will, so their R&D costs are spread out over fewer sales. And besides, Porsche owners will pay that for their upgrades. So why not sell them for that much?
    Yeah, I know I was oversimplifying about remapping an ECU! I was just using it to prove a point. When a tiny company like DMS (MUCH smaller than Ruf I'd imagine) can achieve exactly the same results for a fraction of the cost it makes you wonder what the mark-up is on what Ruf are offering. When you hear a price like 25,200 mentioned for work on an engine you'd automatically assume they'd be doing at least somekind of work on the cylinder-heads/con-rods/general oily bits, not just modifying the existing ECU like Ruf do.

What I was saying is that there is a lot of hype surrounding Ruf which causes people to pay silly money for something that they could probably get a lot cheaper somewhere else. If I wanted to tune my Porsche (dream on! ) then I wouldn't go down the Ruf route. And as you said, the people who buy tuned Porsches probably have more money than sense anyway!
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    Yeah, I know I was oversimplifying about remapping an ECU! I was just using it to prove a point. When a tiny company like DMS (MUCH smaller than Ruf I'd imagine) can achieve exactly the same results for a fraction of the cost it makes you wonder what the mark-up is on what Ruf are offering. When you hear a price like 25,200 mentioned for work on an engine you'd automatically assume they'd be doing at least somekind of work on the cylinder-heads/con-rods/general oily bits, not just modifying the existing ECU like Ruf do.

What I was saying is that there is a lot of hype surrounding Ruf which causes people to pay silly money for something that they could probably get a lot cheaper somewhere else. If I wanted to tune my Porsche (dream on! ) then I wouldn't go down the Ruf route. And as you said, the people who buy tuned Porsches probably have more money than sense anyway!
    alot of that money is in the quality of the work....RUF have proven themselves....i would rather pay more money for a RUF then give my Porsche to some guy(nut) who says he can give me more power....
    pondering things

Quote Originally Posted by targa
    alot of that money is in the quality of the work....RUF have proven themselves....i would rather pay more money for a RUF then give my Porsche to some guy(nut) who says he can give me more power....
    Just cause they've been around for a while doesn't give them license to rip people off though!

And DMS aren't just some Mickey Mouse outfit. They are a relatively new company, but are thoroughly professional and very highly respected. They have given their cars to be tested by many of the leading magazines in the UK (Autocar, EVO etc) and they have been given unanimous 5 star reviews in all the road-tests I've read. That's where I'd go if I wanted to squeeze more power out of my Porker, and put aside the money I'd save over an Ruf conversion to spend on fresh tyres because God knows I'd probably need them with 550bhp!

Link to DMS: http://www.dmsautomotive.com/index.asp?upid=2
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    Just cause they've been around for a while doesn't give them license to rip people off though!
    rip off is a relative term

the RUF techs have not only been around for a while, they are highly repected also....so they are still one up on your guys

and i dont think anything gives someone a "license" to "rip people off"

i dont see any "rip offs" here, just because something is more expensive than YOU would like it to be, doesnt automatically make it a rip off

RUF is good, proven
    DMS is good, not proven
    pondering things

RUF=modified Porsche.
    isn't that right?

Btw is this based on the 996 Turbo like it says? It sure looks like the GT2 to me... Could someone enlighten me how to tell them apart? The rear spoiler is changed so it wont work in this case but i didn't think the turbos had the big air intakes on the sides, just by the rear wheels?
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

The 996 turbo does have the intakes on the side

the spoiler and the front spoiler are different on the GT2.

see how the side vents at the front are split? and there is also a black strip across the front of the GT2 that can be seen here:

Being nice since 2007.

Thread Information