Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Live 8 - Do your bit for charity

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    It's about INFLUENCING to make a difference in the mindsets of the G8 meetings.
    I'm just sceptical about the real influence these concerts will have on the G8 leaders to be honest guys. Remember all the protests around the world right before the current Iraq war? A lot of good they did! I'm gald to see people come out to support such an important cause, I just don't see it doing any REAL good. Sorry
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Pink Floyd was awesome. But all I saw was the recap they had on later, just the chorus of 'Comfortably Numb.' What else did they play?
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    I'm just sceptical about the real influence these concerts will have on the G8 leaders to be honest guys. Remember all the protests around the world right before the current Iraq war? A lot of good they did! I'm gald to see people come out to support such an important cause, I just don't see it doing any REAL good. Sorry
    Funny MOST of the members of G8 wer against the war, so maybe those DID make a difference.

Of course, NOTHING can control a lunatic or a maniac ( take your pick )

BUT this time around, Blair is NOT going to be Bush's lapdog and will be expecting some payback for the support given.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Esperante
    Pink Floyd was awesome. But all I saw was the recap they had on later, just the chorus of 'Comfortably Numb.' What else did they play?
    The audio and video are up on torrents now.
    see www.isohunt.com
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I hope the only good thing to come out of it was not Roger and Dave getting back together. Nearly bought a tear to my eye, like the young African girl introduced with Madonna.
    Despite being a great gathering of new and old (and well past it in some cases!)rock stars, I cant see how the G8 group is really going to be influenced. I suspect in a few days many of the punters will have all but forgotten what it was all about.
    And Brian Wilson is not well.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Esperante
    What else did they play?
    sorry, forgot to say ...

Breathe
    Money
    Wish you were here
    and Comfortably Numb :0

I can't stand to watch it right now on MTV... I see famous / rich rappers, rockers, pop artists etc.. Telling everyone about the people dying in Africa (while they f*cking wear expensive clothes, drive expensive cars, have houses in every friggin state and waste their money in crap)

The hipocrisy in this World goes beyond infiniti, screw all these artists and their "effort". If they wanna make a difference sell all your belongings and give it away... Like the stupid A P.Diddy. How can a guy who wears a US $2 Million Diamond Ring tell me about trying to make a difference in the World by helping Africa?

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx
    I can't stand to watch it right now on MTV... I see famous / rich rappers, rockers, pop artists etc.. Telling everyone about the people dying in Africa (while they f*cking wear expensive clothes, drive expensive cars, have houses in every friggin state and waste their money in crap)

The hipocrisy in this World goes beyond infiniti, screw all these artists and their "effort". If they wanna make a difference sell all your belongings and give it away... Like the stupid A P.Diddy. How can a guy who wears a US $2 Million Diamond Ring tell me about trying to make a difference in the World by helping Africa?
    I so support what you say. And furthermore:
    it's nice that those artists are doing it but: it's easy to say "we'll play this concert for free as a charity" when they will receive a nice sum with 5 or 6 zeros for their next aperrance. The real help comes from people who are in Africa (Red Cross, nuns, priests etc...). They make the REAL difference
    Write five of your favourite cars in your signature.
    1. Ascari KZ1 2. Maybach Exelero 3. Pininfarina Birdcage
    4. Aston Martin DB9 5. BMW M6
    My ride: '97 Kia Sportage

Quote Originally Posted by emperor
    I so support what you say. And furthermore:
    it's nice that those artists are doing it but: it's easy to say "we'll play this concert for free as a charity" when they will receive a nice sum with 5 or 6 zeros for their next aperrance. The real help comes from people who are in Africa (Red Cross, nuns, priests etc...). They make the REAL difference
    I also agree, hats off the Red Cross and other people that make the REAL difference as you said emperor
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Different view by some of us this end of the pond.

Many of the British acts ( well the established ones ) actually support and visit Afrian nations. Meet with leaders of nations, organisatino and push to make a real change and brush aside beurocracy.
    Check in to what Geldof, Bono, Macartney, Sting etc etc do.

Still not the same as being there 24/7, digging wells, innoculating kids etc etc as the REAL organisation achieve, but it's not fair to totally dimish the work done by the good ones because of a few chumps.

Sounds as if the US one was more about PR and sales ( even in the UK Madonna got boo'ed for briefly promoting HER new single )

I watched the whole thing and it was fantastic, start to finish and enjoyed it thoroughly. I missed Audioslave though, well i only got to watch the last moments of like a stone. Does anyone else know what other songs they played?

I expected a bit more from muse seeing as the vocalist is usually stunning live and has quite a large octive range. Pink Floyd was great, loved every moment, and the beach boys, dear oh dear, one of the lesser perfomanced I must admit.

Didn't expect the who to be there, but they were pretty good as well, i love their songs and they put on a pretty good act. Madonna's performance was enjoyable, and her first song was the best and touching.

Overall it was a great even and something that did indeed raise awareness, it wasn't about charity, it was about getting people to know about the injustice and poverty. But, one thing that concerns me that was in today's newspaper was the fact that no one said anything about the african dictators and leaders whom kill thousands!!! why not? they are just as big as a threat, and they don't let aid get to the needy, they spend the money on arms and such. This threat should have been made aware to people around the world as well.

Well thankyou again Geldof, youre one helluva terrible singer and performer, but i admire the work you have done
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz_
    IBut, one thing that concerns me that was in today's newspaper was the fact that no one said anything about the african dictators and leaders whom kill thousands!!! why not? they are just as big as a threat, and they don't let aid get to the needy, they spend the money on arms and such. This threat should have been made aware to people around the world as well.

Well thankyou again Geldof, youre one helluva terrible singer and performer, but i admire the work you have done
    Contineu your praise for Geldof and buy a better newspaper.

It WAS widely reported Geldof's views on corruption ......

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShowStory.asp?s...ile_corruption
    Bob Geldof admitted today no amount of aid to Africa could eradicate poverty on the continent while its Governments remain corrupt.

He said: "The issue governance is at the forefront of this compact. You can't give aid to countries when they return it to us in debt payment, especially if you don't allow them to trade with us. None of that will function unless there is a decent Government.

"It was our African partners who insisted we take the governance chapter and put it at the front of the book. They are going to sort this out."

Thread Information