Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AMD sue Intel

AMD sue Intel

Advanced Micro Devices has fired off a federal antitrust lawsuit against Intel, claiming that its rival has a monopolistic grip on the PC industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Yahoo news
    Originally Posted by YAHOO! NEWS
    SUNNYVALE, Calif. - Chip maker Advanced Micro Devices Inc. has filed an antitrust lawsuit against Intel Corp., accusing its market-dominating competitor of forcing customers into exclusive deals to keep them from buying AMD microprocessors.

The suit, filed Monday in U.S. District Court in Delaware, alleges Intel has bullied 38 companies, including large-scale computer-makers, wholesale distributors and retailers, to secure a monopoly in the highly competitive x86 microprocessor market.

The microprocessors run the Microsoft Windows, Solaris and
    Linux families of operating systems. Santa Clara-based Intel's current market share of x86 microprocessors is about 80 percent of worldwide sales by unit volume and 90 percent by revenue.

"Everywhere in the world, customers deserve freedom of choice and the benefits of innovation — and these are being stolen away in the microprocessor market," said Hector Ruiz, president and chief executive officer of the Sunnyvale-based AMD.

He added that "people from Osaka to Frankfurt to Chicago pay the price in cash every day for Intel's monopoly abuses."

An Intel representative could not be reached before business hours Tuesday.

In March, Japan's anti-monopoly watchdog, the Fair Trade Commission, issued a warning to Intel, saying that the company was curbing competition in the microprocessor chip market by pressuring Japanese clients to buy its chips.

Intel denied the allegations but said at the time that the changes outlined in the agency's proposed cease-and-desist order would not affect its ability to compete in the Japanese marketplace.

The
    European Commission has said it is pursuing an investigation against Intel for similar possible antitrust violations and is cooperating with Japanese authorities.

According to the complaint, Intel has forced major customers such as Dell, Sony, Toshiba, Gateway and Hitachi into exclusive deals in return for cash payments and other deals. It also allegedly paid Sony millions of dollars for an exclusive deal on microprocessors and threatened retaliation against customers for introducing AMD computer platforms into their products.

Rick Whittington, a Caris & Co. analyst, said the legal action has been expected and breaks no new ground.

"The timing of this suit, in our view, is Sales and Marketing 101," he said in a research note. "Get the attention of the customer as market demand heats up and you have sizable supply coming down the pike. Put the competitor, to whatever extent possible, on the ropes and force them to adopt less aggressive sales tactics, if even marginal."

Shares of Intel fell 12 cents to $25.74 in pre-market trading, while shares of AMD rose 25 cents, or 1.5 percent, to $16.90.
    Look like AMD is sticking a nail into Intel's COFFIN

I agree with what theyre doing, its about time. Intel has deals with like every manufacturer, all amd gets is about 3/4 of the custom/mod comp market. Hate to sound like a baby but it really isnt fair. Go AMD.
    UPC's most heavy Bawls drinker. :D

"Everywhere in the world, customers deserve freedom of choice and the benefits of innovation — and these are being stolen away in the microprocessor market,"
    I have a choice and I always prefered Intel over AMD. I don't get it, what's with this "forcing" stuff. If Intel can get a better deal with DELL, than no wonder they install Intel microprocessor. Since when has that become illegal?
    Write five of your favourite cars in your signature.
    1. Ascari KZ1 2. Maybach Exelero 3. Pininfarina Birdcage
    4. Aston Martin DB9 5. BMW M6
    My ride: '97 Kia Sportage

This is ridiculous. Getting sued for doing your job right...
    It's like when everyone was bashing Ferrari for winning all the time.
    Weird World....

I had an AMD based PC once. It was a piece of garbage. It crashed constantly. The one we bought after that was Intel-based, and it's now 5 years old, works perfectly, and is sitting across the room from me. The one I'm on now is a 3 year old Intel, and I've never had a problem with it.

If AMD didn't build garbage they wouldn't have a problem.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

My AMD pc is great. I dont have much against either of them, but i think it should be a fair market.

my AMD works much better than my old intel and for single thread computing amds chips are both faster and MUCH cheaper than intels all that intel has over amd is hyper threading

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    I had an AMD based PC once. It was a piece of garbage. It crashed constantly. The one we bought after that was Intel-based, and it's now 5 years old, works perfectly, and is sitting across the room from me. The one I'm on now is a 3 year old Intel, and I've never had a problem with it.

If AMD didn't build garbage they wouldn't have a problem.
    i had the exact same experience. got a P4 now and it works perfectly even with some heavy-duty loads.

I personally hope both of them knock each other out. Go Apple.

I like Intel's logo, however. Very slick.

The question isn't about which processor has the best reliability.
    It's about if it's right to sue someone for being better than you. Is it ok to be mediocre?
    I prefer to excel. If someone is better than me, I don't sue him. Either I shut up, or better him.

Good one, I agree, that's why we have fights and lots of new products, and why products get updated. One guitar company sued another for making a better guitar than them, and they won, but lost sales as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    I personally hope both of them knock each other out. Go Apple.

I like Intel's logo, however. Very slick.
    get used to it as Apple have confirmed they will be using INTEL from now on
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

.....?

They are with IBM. The next G5 is being produced by IBM.

Quote Originally Posted by Apple's News Site
    “Apple and IBM have been working together for over a decade. With the development of the PowerPC G5 we’ve entered into a much deeper partnership, and Apple now has access to a vast portfolio of IBM’s advanced technologies used in our high-performance servers and supercomputers,” said John Kelly, senior vice president and group executive, IBM Technology Group. “The Power Mac G5 is the result of Apple’s leadership in innovation coupled with IBM’s unrivaled processor technology. It is also a preview of the type of technology innovation that our deeper partnership will continue to deliver to customers in the future.”
    I think this is proof enough... Apple hate Intel because they work with Windows

Thread Information