Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AMD sue Intel

I'm an Apple user and I hate to tell ya that Apple is indeed going with Intel and droping IBM. I don't mind really, what makes Apples great is the OS and quality of the hardware. IBM was talking too long to bring to market the G5 chip for the Apple laptops.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik
    Look like AMD is sticking a nail into Intel's COFFIN
    Intel isn't going anywhere soon. Its here to stay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    If AMD didn't build garbage they wouldn't have a problem.
    Maybe AMD's processors had nothing to do with the crashes, have you thought of that? Obviously not.
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    I'm an Apple user and I hate to tell ya that Apple is indeed going with Intel and droping IBM. I don't mind really, what makes Apples great is the OS and quality of the hardware. IBM was talking too long to bring to market the G5 chip for the Apple laptops.
    OMG, thanks for the info, and you're right. It's UNIX that makes us.

G5 PowerBook? I want one!

The G4 I use is amazing already!!! The only problem I see is the heat given out by them, it would be like having a frying pan on your knees after a couple of hours of use.

i've always liked amd better than intel....even though i've tried both, amd has been reliable even with the hot days of Texas(sometimes my cpu will idle @ 50C cause the room temp is high enough to do that, these new cpu's are supposed to handle 60C though, they start burning at somewhere in ~80-90C, at least that started from the amd barton core), it has signs of it gettin somewhat....melted but it still works like new.
    any....and i mean any computer can crash and not work well...thats called user error(at least couple of cisco teaching programs say so:P), for not maintaining his/her computer right.
    oh and btw hyper threading may be good, but it is also bad, if you read somewhere in the tech news, hyper threading can allow viruses in.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

Quote Originally Posted by d-quik
    Intel isn't going anywhere soon. Its here to stay.Maybe AMD's processors had nothing to do with the crashes, have you thought of that? Obviously not.
    At the time I had my HP w/ AMD, my dad had a HP with an Intel chip, and the PC we bought to replace the AMD one was another HP with an Intel chip. Neither of them ever had a problem.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

its all in the user.....just like a race, if its same car and setup, its all in the driver.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne
    oh and btw hyper threading may be good, but it is also bad, if you read somewhere in the tech news, hyper threading can allow viruses in.
    Not virus per se.

The concern in multi threaded and multi cored processors ( and multi processor shared memory architectures ) is that one thread ( bit of a program ) can see what another thread ( a different bit of a different program ) is doing by looking at the shared memory. It was warned to highly secure servers that this meant that it is theoretically possible to place a program on a system which monitors the cryptography and can "steaL' the keys allowing other users to access. Being unable to programmatically control the whole cache contents makes it near impossible to introduce a virus into the stream.

AND for those threads to have run then the systesm virus protection is compromised in having failed to scan for and identify a program deliberately set up to monitor cache contents.

This problem has existed in computers from the first multi-processor systems were built !!! IN fact in the early days of research we built hardware which did EXACTLY this for a PDP-11 to improve performance
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

the reason AMD users experience problems is because of drivers. I don't know if its still a problem but the old 4-1 drivers were tricky and had to be updated regularly to keep them working their best. A lot of PC mags, esp. PcPowerplay in aus. recommend AMDs in their gaming machine setups in their mags, Intels often won't get a run, maybe in the top-of-the-line, best money can buy machines
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Add to that that the Intel roadmap looks awesome. Better than AMD's and waaaay better than PowerPC.

At first I was in shock after the WWDC keynote but then I calmed down and now it's just a matter of getting the software ported which won't be all that hard. The transition will be (waaaay) easier than going from 68k to PowerPC or from OS9 to OS X.

oh...

when i first read the tittle i read "AMG sue Intel"

wtf.....

my PC has an AMD~
    pondering things

any time frame of when we might see a G5 iBook? i have to get a laptop next july for college, i was hoping it would be around by then
    pondering things

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by targa
    oh...

when i first read the tittle i read "AMG sue Intel"

wtf.....
    LMAO....

Mercedes's in-car computers not working ?

Quote Originally Posted by targa
    any time frame of when we might see a G5 iBook? i have to get a laptop next july for college, i was hoping it would be around by then
    Check out this Mac forum, I used to frequent it untill I found UCP
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

the AMD athlon XP, sempron, and athlon 64 processor famileis are on par with or better than intel's counterpart in many instances, i only build computers with AMD processors, ive never had a proccessor cause problem(that wasnt my fault, built a computer once and didnt use enough thermal compund and melted down a brand new $300 processor... ) , they performe exelently, and they're price cant be beat by anything other than some shitty 2nd rate no name processors.
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

Check out this Mac forum, I used to frequent it untill I found UCP
    thanks
    pondering things

Thread Information