Thread: What would happen if I remove the Catalytic convertors

What would happen if I remove the Catalytic convertors

Can someone tell me what happens, apart from the emissions, if I remove the catalytic convertors from a car.
    and what does a car running rich mean and how can it be countered.

running rich is when too much fuel gets in the fuel/air mixture

the engine would make more power, and i think be alot louder
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

If youre running rich then you either have to tune your carb or fuel injectors, tuning a carb is probably alot easier tho
    < 1 - 2 - to the bass >

Removeing the catalytic convertors would prevent your car from passing the emissions test on your MOT (assuming you fill the space where the catalytic convertor was with a piece of pipe).

I took the cats off my car once... It wasn't pretty.

[O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    Removeing the catalytic convertors would prevent your car from passing the emissions test on your MOT (assuming you fill the space where the catalytic convertor was with a piece of pipe).
    Can someone tell me what happens, apart from the emissions

if I remove the catalytic convertors from a car.
    What car do you own and why do you want to get rid of the catalytic convertors? You'll basically win a small amount of power, but it's not really worth it unless you get a new exhaust system (including headers).

Depending on if you have or where the 02 sensor is, the computer might throw a CEL.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Maby he wants to add on flame throwers. MUHHAHAHAHAH
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by baddabang
    Maby he wants to add on flame throwers. MUHHAHAHAHAH
    A bit high then, badda?

yeah...the car will shut off

and never start ever again

ever

and it will look like this
    pondering things

running rich doesnt give u any more power technically, it just gives a cooler intake charge and wont knock as easily (spontaneously detonate)

a cooler intake charge usually means a denser charge which means more air/fuel in same volume but i dont think it applies in this situation since it's the last step of the journey for the air, the gains i think would be minimal, consult matra or another expert for a better explanation

taking off the cat wont give much of a power gain since modern cats give nearly no backpressure, only when you're running high boost or high revs would they give enuff backpressure to affect performance significantly, getting nailed for not passing emmisions is definetly not work the half a horsepower gain at the wheels

It will cause more pollution.

The Reduction Catalyst
    The reduction catalyst is the first stage of the catalytic converter. It uses platinum and rhodium to help reduce the NOx emissions. When an NO or NO2 molecule contacts the catalyst, the catalyst rips the nitrogen atom out of the molecule and holds on to it, freeing the oxygen in the form of O2. The nitrogen atoms bond with other nitrogen atoms that are also stuck to the catalyst, forming N2.

The Oxidization Catalyst
    The oxidation catalyst is the second stage of the catalytic converter. It reduces the unburned hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide by burning (oxidizing) them over a platinum and palladium catalyst. This catalyst aids the reaction of the CO and hydrocarbons with the remaining oxygen in the exhaust gas.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    running rich doesnt give u any more power technically, it just gives a cooler intake charge and wont knock as easily (spontaneously detonate)

a cooler intake charge usually means a denser charge which means more air/fuel in same volume but i dont think it applies in this situation since it's the last step of the journey for the air, the gains i think would be minimal, consult matra or another expert for a better explanation

taking off the cat wont give much of a power gain since modern cats give nearly no backpressure, only when you're running high boost or high revs would they give enuff backpressure to affect performance significantly, getting nailed for not passing emmisions is definetly not work the half a horsepower gain at the wheels
    actually running rich is bad for making power, running lean in most cases will give you the most "power" but at the same time will run you closer to the ping area where there is not enough fuel and its inherent cooling properties to drop the combustion charge to prevent detonation. ideally if you had an ice cold intake charge and you were running lean, you'd make the most power. this is completely ignoring the ignition timing factor however.
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

keep it and chip your car its the cheapest option of tuning yr car and it wont make it look stupid

another thing u could replace is the air filter which can make it more efficient and give it more power that always a good one
    TVR, Heres to Peter wheeler and his last creationg of the Scamander.

Coventry seriously sucks....

Thread Information