Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas vs. Diesel vs. Hybrid Power.

Gas vs. Diesel vs. Hybrid Power.

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article....&src=LP+luxury
    Maybe gasoline prices are crimping your household budget. Maybe you'd like to reduce the U.S. dollars that flow to the Middle East for oil. Perhaps you're motivated by concern for the environment, or the nagging reality that oil is a depleting resource that shouldn't be wasted.

Whatever the reason, many Americans—including you, perhaps—are looking for more fuel-efficient vehicles.

So what should a consumer know when deciding among low-mileage gasoline cars, diesel-powered vehicles and gasoline-electric hybrids?
    But even if drivers maximize their fuel savings and get the full 13-mpg benefit in the Hybrid, they'd need about 16 years of 15,000-mile annual travel before the gasoline savings—estimated at $2.25 a gallon—would recoup the $4,300 extra they paid for the Hybrid over the Civic LX.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

maybe if hybrids are massively produced, their price will fall substantially
    then it would give more motives to the consumer

Or maybe if the public would realize that hybrids are overhyped and don't pay off in the short or long run and would stop buying them, their prices would drop.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

or maybe if they compared it to a Hummer H2 or Cadillac Escallade or V12 Mercedes or Land Rover LR3 or Porsche Cayenne or ...

you can have a nice, comfortable, safe, capable car w/o a huge engine and weighing 5000+lbs

considering the use most H2s get (your not fooling anybody with your giant SUV), what can one of those do that a four door hatch back (Mk.II Prius) cant?
    Last edited by johnnyperl; 06-17-2005 at 01:56 PM.

Diesel power diesel power diesel power diesel power diesel power

It all depends on what you use the car for.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    Diesel power diesel power diesel power diesel power diesel power
    I agree completely with you. You can make great yields of power and torque without doing much dirty work on the engine and you can get better gas mileage.

Im going wit diesel, they have too much that needs to be worked out with the hybrids and stuff but diesels are tried and work and save fuel and money!

They need a hybrid diesel, it makes so much more sense.

Why not just cut holes in the bottom of our cars and propel them like the Flintstones? At least we have shoes!!!
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    Why not just cut holes in the bottom of our cars and propel them like the Flintstones? At least we have shoes!!!
    Better yet, get the roller-blade shoes, conserve our energy!
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by pimento
    They need a hybrid diesel, it makes so much more sense.
    both Opel and VW are developing such cars, but of course the relative difference (pay-back) period for a hybrid diesel and a normal diesel is much
    greater than for petrol hybrid and a petrol engine.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight
    maybe if hybrids are massively produced, their price will fall substantially
    then it would give more motives to the consumer
    In the Nether lands on every new car that is bought ,you have to pay a substantial amount of taxes.on a 20000€ family car, the taxes could easily rise to 5000€ or more.If you buy a car like the prius or the Honda hybrid, the government decided that you dont have to pay these taxes.thereofr the price of these cars comes out about equal or sometimes even lower as their "normal" versions.now that is what other countries should do too, to attract much more buyers.the Prius is getting a quite common car out here now.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    In the Nether lands on every new car that is bought ,you have to pay a substantial amount of taxes.on a 20000€ family car, the taxes could easily rise to 5000€ or more.If you buy a car like the prius or the Honda hybrid, the government decided that you dont have to pay these taxes.thereofr the price of these cars comes out about equal or sometimes even lower as their "normal" versions.now that is what other countries should do too, to attract much more buyers.the Prius is getting a quite common car out here now.
    we also have tax-breaks for hybrids, however our taxes on new vehicles are not as high so it makes less of a difference. i think they even raised the savings recently. we do have a gas guzzler tax on cars which consume too much fuel, i dont know how bad the efficiency has to be to pay the tax though

i'm going for diesel, hybrid people bang on about all the torque hybrids make, but its crap when compared diesels. And what hybrids can you get, civics or prius'. Nearly every Euro car has a diesel option and i tell ya, I'd rather been seen in a A6 4.0 TT V8 diesel cruising in style or MB SLK320CDI easily running with HSVs and FPVs than a Prius
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Thread Information