Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you turbo a non-fuel injected engine?

Can you turbo a non-fuel injected engine?

Does a car have to be Fuel Injected to run a turbo? or can a carby fed engine use them?
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra
    Does a car have to be Fuel Injected to run a turbo? or can a carby fed engine use them?
    It's definitely possible to do so, although as far as an aftermarket system is concerned I don't know how it's done. I believe this question has come up before - try the search.

yup - here it is: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ght=carb+turbo

why?you want a nice turbo to beastify the dato??
    "WHEN IT'S GAME TIME, IT'S PAIN TIME TIME BABY! WOOOH" ~ Terry Tate

even though its usually better to get fuel injection, you can still put a turbo on a carbed car. you just need custom piping and sheets of metal that'll cover the carb.

but i think it'd be easier and better to tune a fuel injected engine.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

Quote Originally Posted by @wall
    why?you want a nice turbo to beastify the dato??
    Its a possibility

Thanks for that thread gregvl52...

OK more questions...
    It can be done - YES
    Is it difficult? -
    Does it need a lot of maintanence? -
    Other Examples other then that thread? -

Thanks for your help guys

I'm sure you could have a V8 swap done for just a little more price and hassle (or possibly a little less) than having a custom turbo setup installed on the datto.

Your car with a V8 would be a ridiculously awesome sleeper.

I investigated the option but even a 4L Lexus V8 is too big, it will actually FIT but it wont WORK, theres not enough room around it for proper cooling and thats just not cool (no pun intended.) So i have a very smick NA engine being prepared ATM but i have room for a turbo and want to know if it would be possible for a future project.

I investigated the option but even a 4L Lexus V8 is too big, it will actually FIT but it wont WORK, theres not enough room around it for proper cooling and thats just not cool (no pun intended.) So i have a very smick NA engine being prepared ATM but i have room for a turbo and want to know if it would be possible for a future project.
    What about a Chevy (I guess Holden) 350, or a Ford 302? Those are smaller than the Lexus 4.0.

OHC Engines are much physically larger, because of the camshaft placement. See image. Keep in mind that the 302 has more displacement than the 4.6
    Attached Images Attached Images

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    What about a Chevy (I guess Holden) 350, or a Ford 302? Those are smaller than the Lexus 4.0.

OHC Engines are much physically larger, because of the camshaft placement. See image. Keep in mind that the 302 has more displacement than the 4.6
    My thoughts exactly! And, I know for a fact they fit well in the early Z cars, so I imagine other models would be just as accomodating.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Yes, and there are two different basic turbo setups for a carbureted car. First there's one where the turbo sits before the carb and the air is compressed and then the fuel is mixed in, like any fuel-injected turbo setup. And then there is a system where the carb sits before the turbo and both air and fuel are compressed. Not sure of the advantages/disadvantages of each setup, maybe someone else can help with that.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari Tifosi
    Yes, and there are two different basic turbo setups for a carbureted car. First there's one where the turbo sits before the carb and the air is compressed and then the fuel is mixed in, like any fuel-injected turbo setup. And then there is a system where the carb sits before the turbo and both air and fuel are compressed. Not sure of the advantages/disadvantages of each setup, maybe someone else can help with that.
    I dont think the carb can sit before the turbo as that would mean it would be cycling/compressing a fuel air mixture (bang!). The turbo sits on "top" to force air into the carby quicker. Thats what a turbo is about , an air pump.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    I dont think the carb can sit before the turbo as that would mean it would be cycling/compressing a fuel air mixture (bang!). The turbo sits on "top" to force air into the carby quicker. Thats what a turbo is about , an air pump.
    Did some quick referencing to prove my point and found this.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...13_0312_turbo/

It states in the first paragraph of the "Feedback Loop" section in parantheses
    "As the compressor wheel rotates, it sucks air (or both air and fuel in the case of a draw-through carbureted setup) into the compressor housing."

The setup doesn't make much sense to me either Crisis, but it does exist.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

Its called a blow thru set up,not really the way to go,hard to set up,tune is very coarse,you could put a pelium with throttle bodies and injectors then u can run a decent ecu etc,My nephew just bought a 3gste for his rolla only cost him 1200,put on the ancillaries turbo etc,just had it dynoed made over 360 hp@5500 with 14 psi,its an absolute torque monster,had to wind down the boost as it would be undrivable(fry tyres on the track)Go the sr20det lot less hassle in the long run did you phone up ichibarn they have sr20det for 1450 with turbo and all,or buy a half cut but their pretty dear.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari Tifosi
    Did some quick referencing to prove my point and found this.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...13_0312_turbo/

It states in the first paragraph of the "Feedback Loop" section in parantheses
    "As the compressor wheel rotates, it sucks air (or both air and fuel in the case of a draw-through carbureted setup) into the compressor housing."

The setup doesn't make much sense to me either Crisis, but it does exist.
    Well done. Sounds lethal but they would know.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

You can do it!

Old post but i found it nether the less....
    Dont be doubtful blow thru and draw thru carby setups are incredibly cost effective and dont require much fabrication as one thinks!! Yes they both have their downfalls, but doesnt everything? Ill branch on these topics...

A draw thru setup utulizes the engines exhaust speed to spin the turbos turbine and plus due to the carby (may, may not be) running on the engines stock fuel pump (running on the cam) this can cope with the levels that the turbo also requires, thus all working as one and a very effective package! The carby would normally sit at the front of the engine bay to catch all that nicec coooool air and then send it down to the turbo (shorter runners shorten the lag time between the turbo {i think anyway}) And dont worry the turbo will be fine handling fuel in it, it dont wreck it at all!!
    The downfall is that you can not intercool this type of thing as if you were to run plumbing to an intercooler this would be cooling down already gas/air mixed mixture (crap grammar sorry :P) and fuel has a tendency to condense inside the intercooler core and stay there, thuus if there were to be a backfire it could ignite and send a pretty glow all thru your engine bay !! not good... this is the same for kitting a BOV or wastegate etc, this would just be expersing fuel and air all around the engine also not a good thing....The oil return/send lines can be plumbed easy either into your oil sump or where ever oil is passed pressurised around the engine...
    This however is a simple way to increase the power of your engine with the only fabrication really being from the exhaust manifold!! Maybe some fuel issues may arise but wats so hard about fitting a electric fuel pump and fuel regulator to the system?

The next of course is the blow thru setup where by the turbo is put before the carby. This is my favoured choice for a number of reasons, harder but favourite! The advantages of this system is that you now CAN intercool and fit aftermarkey BOV's or whatever plumbing to this system as the condensed air is coming from the turbo and TO the carby not the other way round... The standard fuel pump will also put up with the extra caining the engines getting hahaha! The carby however needs to be 'boxed' in some how, either by fabricating a vacummed box around the carby or jsut block off the already used air filter some how (oxy up the ends or weld some sides ? you decide)... This box of course MUST be pressurised as we dont want any air escaping from the engine. The box must be plumbed in from one side then down to the carby it goes! Tunning can be a bit of a difficulty as there is not ready access to the carby as there is with the draw thru but if tuned before operation then it should not be a problem...

I have seen many A series and L series Datsun engines (1960's - mid 1980's) use these setups with some even running up to 12 psi with stock internals (except for good rings)!! Now to me thats pretty darn good!!
    The internals of most cars will with stand up to about 8 psi if not more depending on the strenght of the bottom end, comp ratio and if sealed properally.. But the thing i would do first of all is lower your static comp ratio (if runnging 9:1 lower to maybe around th 7.5:1 mark or even lower depending on what boost is required) This can simply be done by using a spacer or larger head gasket between the head and engine, simple!! Also think about fitting an aftermarket cam to put up with this newley found boost in the engine, maybe a longer duration and higher lifting cam..depends on your application.

A well setup up carburetor will run JUST as good as EFI or some sort of fuel injection, they were ran for at least 70 years and more, why not still hey?? And what do many racers use? carby power as its cheaper than a whole efi setup and reaps the same rewards....
    So go on do it, you wont be disapointeed!!

Dave

Thread Information