Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Best american car ever made

Quote Originally Posted by Northalius View Post
    I'd say the best car America has ever built, would be the 2007 Dodge Viper Hennessey - top speed: 255 mph. Price? $225,000. A fraction of what a 253 mph Bugatti Veyron costs. And, if you think the interior and maybe other minor things on the Viper don't hold up to the Veyron in your opinion, you can always throw in a few hundred thousand more dollars for upgrades, and still be about $1 million less in cost, compared to the Veyron.

Now THAT'S an American supercar for you!
    That's a tuner.

That's like saying those 600+ hp 911 Turbos are the fastest because some guy added some bigger turbos to it.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    After which fast and the furious movie did you realize that?
    Ive only seen the first one and i wasnt that impressed, so the answer would be neither. Not all of us hop on the bandwagon when a car is featured in a movie Johnny. I go by the specs, reviews, and videos of the cars not fictional movies.

Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing View Post
    Ive only seen the first one and i wasnt that impressed, so the answer would be neither. Not all of us hop on the bandwagon when a car is featured in a movie Johnny. I go by the specs, reviews, and videos of the cars not fictional movies.
    It's funny that you don't include personal experience in your list of what you go by.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardude1111 View Post
    Okay the 455 had only 10ftlb of torque mor than the 454 LS6 did but the 454 had 90 more horespower than the 455.

Here are the specs.

The 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454
    Specifications
    Wheelbase, inches: 112.0
    Weight, lbs: 3,800
    Number built: 8,773
    Base price: $3,800

Top Available Engine
    Type: ohv V-8
    Displacement, cid: 454
    Fuel system: 1 x 4bbl.
    Compression ratio: 11.25:1
    Horsepower @ rpm: 450 @ 5600
    Torque @ rpm: 500 @ 3600

Representative Performance
    0-60 mph, sec: 6.1
    1/4 mile, sec. @ mph: 13.7 @ 103

The 1970 Buick GS Stage 1
    Specifications
    Wheelbase, inches: 112.0
    Weight, lbs: 4,000
    Number built: 687
    Base price: $4,880

Top Available Engine
    Type: ohv V-8
    Displacement, cid: 455
    Fuel system: 1 x 4bbl.
    Compression ratio: 10.5:1
    Horsepower @ rpm: 360 @ 4600
    Torque @ rpm: 510 @ 2800

Representative Performance
    0-60 mph, sec: 6.5
    1/4 mile, sec. @ mph: 13.8 @ 101
    The horsepower rating for the Buick 455 Stage 1 was underrated, as were many other muscle car engines. The actual hp of that engine was 420-430 hp.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    The horsepower rating for the Buick 455 Stage 1 was underrated, as were many other muscle car engines. The actual hp of that engine was 420-430 hp.
    I remember from that time that all US HP figures were given in SAE, which was notoriously more optimistic than the BHP or DIN-hp used in Europe. Could it be that the figures now shown have been adjusted to "realistic" ones?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I remember from that time that all US HP figures were given in SAE, which was notoriously more optimistic than the BHP or DIN-hp used in Europe. Could it be that the figures now shown have been adjusted to "realistic" ones?
    No, underratement was common in 60's/70's muscle car, usually for insurance purposes. That doesn't meant that still in terms of DIN ratings they might still be overrated despite being underrated (if that makes any sense... ).
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    No, underratement was common in 60's/70's muscle car, usually for insurance purposes. That doesn't meant that still in terms of DIN ratings they might still be overrated despite being underrated (if that makes any sense... ).
    Right. For insurance purposes and to get into a better class for NHRA (National Hot Rod Association) drag racing.
    It didn't always work, though. The "official" rating for the Mopar 340 was 275 horsepower. The NHRA wasn't fooled and factored them at 320 hp.
    And both the Chevy and Ford Hi-Po 302. Rated at 290 hp, but factored by the NHRA at 310.
    I have a list of advertised and actual hp which I'll list in a little while.
    Some of the claimed hp was ridiculous, like the Ford 428 engine. The 390 was rated at 335 hp (pretty accurate) and the 428 was also rated at 335 when it actually made about 410 hp. These are all gross figures, but I do have specs of their net ratings, too.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Corvette C6 Z06! A stock $68,000 car competing with, and in some cases beating, $130,000-$300,000+ European cars, is what I call a legend.

C6.R Corvettes winnin many races, including 5 out of the last 6 Le Mans 24 hour races!

The LS7.R engine in those C6.R Corvettes won an international award, for engine of the year, on November 9th. That same engine (though detuned, thus less hp, but more MPG) is found in the C6 Z06 Corvettes!

A C6 Z06 Corvette got a 7:42 laptime on the Nurburgring!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    It's funny that you don't include personal experience in your list of what you go by.
    Johnny...Im 16 i dont have personal experience to go on. I admit this, so i go on reviews, specs and professional drivers opinions. Besides, about 90% of the people on the forums dont have a lick of experience either but that doesnt stop them from yelling at others for saying a car is the "best"
    1987 Pontiac GTA Trans Am (Parked-Project car)
    Orange/Cloth
    Future ideas:
    LS1/LT1 or Twin Screw S/C L98 TPI
    True duels/side pipes

2001 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0 (DD)
    Black/Black and Grey Leather

Well, I might take a beating for this one but I`m going to have to go with the 1984 Corvette. With the z-51 suspension system it handled incredibly. It brought corvette from being a glorified dragster to in the same class as the best handling cars in the world. Of course I know that there are many arguments to say that this thing was a piece of junk. Everyone seems to have an oppinion on the 84. But I dont think too many people can deny that it put the vette in a new direction and scared the XXX outta alot of other companies. Just if you were to look at one car that changed the way America was looked at in the car industry, Id say this one...

Quote Originally Posted by Piazza View Post
    Well, I might take a beating for this one but I`m going to have to go with the 1984 Corvette. With the z-51 suspension system it handled incredibly. It brought corvette from being a glorified dragster to in the same class as the best handling cars in the world. Of course I know that there are many arguments to say that this thing was a piece of junk. Everyone seems to have an oppinion on the 84. But I dont think too many people can deny that it put the vette in a new direction and scared the XXX outta alot of other companies. Just if you were to look at one car that changed the way America was looked at in the car industry, Id say this one...
    84? Ouch, those were some bad years for the Vette, at least imho.

However, I agree with your point about the 4th? generation corvette re-shaping the American car-industry and it's overall demeanor.

Well the suspension was known to be really stiff on the 84, but compared to previous generations which basically had sedan suspension, it was a major improvement.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Welcome to UCP! Not wishing you give you a beating and everyone has their own preferences

But geez, in performance car terms those '84s with the gutless Tuned Port EFI (a pitiful 205hp) were a bit of a lame duck weren't they? I remember an internationally well-regarded journo travelled abroad to the big GM proving ground of Millford or somewhere to review the C4 at the media launch, and his over-riding memory was of GM's 'handling evaluation test track' which apparently in those days consisted of nothing more than a huge and glassy-smooth expanse of concrete - ie a giant dead-flat skidpan! No wonder those era of Vettes feature rock-hard supension tuning and consequently are so stiffly sprung they do poorly on everyday roads because they skip from the top of one bump to the next

Looking back at those days the fastest GM-built car wasn't a Corvette, nor was it made in America ...

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Looking back at those days the fastest GM-built car wasn't a Corvette, nor was it made in America ...
    Lotus Carlton?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Lotus Carlton?
    I was somewhere in the early to mid 1980s .. where are you?

Thread Information