Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Elephant

It could be a rolce royce phantom 3.

I think I might have solved this mystery. This is a Bentley Speed Six with a body by Saoutchik. And there is your elephant.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ohh...pix are from last year's Pebble Beach Concours. Not taken by me unfortunately.

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by dracu777
    And there is your elephant.
    He said just the head

OOPS...I guess it pays to read. Nice car regardless. I didn't have it in my collection before this.

I think I got it for sure this time. It's a monster, and it's a beauty. I have no idea what it is though

Its the 1932 Daimler Double Six Martin Walter Sport Saloon, formerly owned by G Lingenbrink and Charles Bronson.

Here is a little blurb on the car from Robb Report:

Glamorous British film star Anna Neagle was apparently a woman who got what she wanted, since this magnificent Double Six was commissioned by her husband, a Mr. Webber, and built by Martin Walter especially for her. Of 26 Double Sixes built, mostly for royalty over a 10-year period, this is among the longest—its hood stretches 8 feet, and its 159½-inch wheelbase is a couple inches short of a Bugatti Royale’s. The model designation derives from the Daimler V-12 engine, a marriage of two incredibly quiet sleeve-valve sixes with a combined displacement of 7.1 liters. Neagle’s long, low, black H.R. Owens–designed sports saloon won England’s Eastbourne Concours d’Elegance when new in 1932 and (following a five-year restoration) Best of Show at Pebble Beach in 1999.

http://www.robbreportcollection.com/...ine-Design.asp

The car was also equipped with an ingenius Wilson preselector gearbox, which was the closest thing ot an automatic at the time and predated the preselectors first major American application (in the Cord 810 in 1937) by 7 years.

Also, a brief commentary on some of your reasoning, hood ornaments are not always the best things to determine the make or model of a car. While they are often an excellent determining factor for many cars, take a Duesenberg J, Lincoln Zephyr, or Pierce Arrow, they are not always OEM on some cars. In the case of this Daimler, that hood ornament was not a standard feature of Daimlers, in fact most didn't have much more than a flat chrome radiator cap. That pachydermed Bentley Speed Six is no better a clue, as plenty of Bentley owners purchased after market radiator caps too (I have shots of Bentleys with everything from bulldogs to Lalique gracing their hoods). So while your guess was good, it wasn't very directed, try looking at the car first (Daimlers always had a ribbed grill finish at the top edge). I was a little confused at first, b/c the low slung appearance is very Bucciali like, but I remembered seeing that car as Pebble winner, and that led me to the correct answer.
    Last edited by Duesey; 08-21-2005 at 09:34 PM.
    106 mph in second, 130 mph in top. 1932 Duesenberg SJ

I think I got it for sure this time. It's a monster, and it's a beauty. I have no idea what it is though
    this is indeed the Double Six, pictured here during the Gooding auction at Pebble Beach last week.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Great info Duesey. It turns out that I had some more pix of this car. It is really a masterpiece. Here is some more pix of it. Can anyone post any other pictures?

Here's a couple more.

I shot a few at the Gooding auction, they might be good enough for putting the car on the UCP's main page, but the shooting conditions were not too great
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I can't wait to see the coverage on UCP. Does anyone know where I can find a complete listing of the cars present at pebble beach (not just the winners). Google et al, didn't help.

I can't wait to see the coverage on UCP. Does anyone know where I can find a complete listing of the cars present at pebble beach (not just the winners). Google et al, didn't help.
    we have a hardcopy, but that is not good enough I think. We got also provided with a CD with press info, which may have the list though. No time to open it as yet.

THATS IT! THANKS SO MUCH! it really is a beautiful car
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    we have a hardcopy, but that is not good enough I think. We got also provided with a CD with press info, which may have the list though. No time to open it as yet.
    Those press CD's usually don't have anything interesting on them, maybe a fefw publicity pictures, but that is about it. If you ask the press people at Pebble Beach Concours they can provide you with it, probably.
    106 mph in second, 130 mph in top. 1932 Duesenberg SJ

Thread Information