Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo/Chop competitions should use attached images

Photo/Chop competitions should use attached images

I always feel sorry for people when their images are too wide and get excluded from posting on the main photo contest pages (like 1968911S in this thread.

I think it would be a lot more fair to just use the attachement system, and it would also encourage more use of the UCP system.

Am I alone on this, or does anyone else think this might make things a lot better/more fair?

That would be alot more fair.

Although I'm not completely disagreeing with what you say, but If you are choping on photoshop, there can't be much trouble in resizing your image to fit. Can there?
    "The thunder of 1001bhp would send a sonic boom through his carbon fibre shell, crack it in half and leave a wet puddle on the fancy leather seat."

Quote Originally Posted by 6'bore
    Although I'm not completely disagreeing with what you say, but If you are choping on photoshop, there can't be much trouble in resizing your image to fit. Can there?
    No, it shouldn't be too hard. But this makes it easier for everyone while encouraging UCP's own system.

Thanks for the comments so far

His pic was excluded because he couldn't follow the simple rule of resizing it. If he's new around then he will surely get it right for the next comp

Don't know about using attachments for photo comps, that kind of thread is probably the only one that I enjoy watching with inline images as 2 posts can cover all the entries and there's no need to click on them.

It can be used though, but I just rather have inline images in this case.

i dunno, i always thought it was a good way to teach people the rules-learn from your mistakes (unless they cant resize, thats a different story) what niko said about inline images is very true as well
    Don't bother me, I'm probably working while posting...

UCP's biggest...oh man...i got nothin'

Sorry Egg-nog, but it's much easier for me to just copy and paste the image location from the other thread and put it in [img] tags. Having to make 2, or even 3 voting comps a week through the attachment system would be a combined 45 minutes to an hour of work. Plus, it's nice being able to just scroll down and see all the images from the comp.

Regarding to those who get a simple link to their picture because it's over 800x600, I think it serves as adequate punishment for not following the rules. They don't resize to the limits stated by the rules, and they get penalized by not having a visible picture. BTW, if someone has trouble resizing pictures or would like me to do it through Photoshop, just PM me, or get me at AIM/MSN/E-mail. I'm always here to help.
    Last edited by Rockefella; 07-17-2005 at 02:57 PM.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

btw that thing of putting the images 800x600 or atached is what made the good old painterr leave please don't make that appen again
    Fun is not a straight line

UCP's only lancia lover ....

Quote Originally Posted by stratos
    btw that thing of putting the images 800x600 or atached is what made the good old painterr leave please don't make that appen again
    The rule is there and will remain there. If Painterr left because of that then he's missing a great forum for nothing. His threads were to introduce new chops (mostly) often being only 1-2 pics (Original and Chop), and that can be done using the attachment system in less than a minute.

a much easier solution would be for the person who runs the competition to resize any photos that anyone has failed to resize to 800 by 600 themselves. It only takes 5 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik
    a much easier solution would be for the person who runs the competition to resize any photos that anyone has failed to resize to 800 by 600 themselves. It only takes 5 seconds.
    No deal. Then people would get lazy and I'd end up resizing like 8 photos each week.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

well i personally dont find it hard to resize 1 or 2 photos to run the general comp thread..

seeing as i an currently running the photoshop chop comps, ill put my 2bob in

using [img] and [/img] are vastly better in the thread for ease of viewing, and it can be done in two posts, the amount of entries in the comp arent many compared to the photo comps, but its just alot more work.

i think to be as fair as can be, all images that arent within the 800x600 barrier should be attatched as attatchments. that way its not just a link, and people just dont cruse over it.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

having had some experience with the general photo comp, I find only posting a lin to the pictures, a good punishment for not following the rules.
    I am not resizing someone else's picture, cos they were too lazy to do it.this might sound selfish, cos it is.To create an photo comp with 15 entries takes me 15-30 minutes of my valuable time.In this time i SHOULD be learning for school each time... be glad someone takes the effort to create these comps.

If you have to use the attachment system as thread creator, I would have to save every pic to my hard drive, then to upload em again, and delete them from my hdd again... this would take much more effort as copying/pasting the links into [img] tags.

Im not doing it, and if i will be forced, it will simply be the end of the photo comp. period.

I agree, drakkie, the other side of a "fair system" is the effort put in by the organiser.

Doens't seem too harsh to expect the submitters to put in a LITTLE bit of effort to comply with a simple rule that makes it easier for everyone.

I think Whiteballz propsal for the occasional attachment is mayeb OK, but then why woudl most folsk then not bother resizing ? Folsk tend to take the route of least resistance. I'd hate to see these threads/comps lost because of tryign to accomodate an inability to follow simple rules
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information