Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Double engine cars?

Quote Originally Posted by fastcarl
    there are currently two active twin engined minis doing the rounds ,there was three last year but one has been broken up and sold on ,
    the one that is no more had two supergharged nitrous injected 1300 A series engines , making just over 200 hp each and had terminal 1/4 speeds of 125 to 130 mph,

regards carl
    welcome to the show . Got any more detailed description or even pics of those cars? How are these being used?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

WHERE they are "doing the rounds" too please ?

PS: Easiest to just put approximate location in your profile
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

hello again and thank you for your welcome Henk, they are not stricktly doing the rounds more like the straights at the drag strip, like most marques we with the minis want to go faster than our competitors also. so drag racing is becoming the way to prove whose fastest ,afterall its apower and weight thing so quite easy to sort the men from the boys,lol.
    the three cars that were run ning last year ,are ,
    the first one completed was mine , this is the most technically advanced orf the three , using bespoke nitrous spec 1300 cc A series ,each engine with its own system and progressive controller . the engines are completely seperate units only sharing a + power supply from ther battery and the fuel cell,
    the chassis is what is universally recognised as an ultralightweight affair using complete Titanium front and rear suspension ,the front being a complete front subframe and all running gear , whilst the rear uses TI swinging arms and alloy drive flanges and lightweight CVs,
    it i would be accurate to say that almost every component on the car has been remade in either TI or Aerospace spec alluminium alloys, 7 and 8000 series alloys .
    the three cars have been running now for two seasons and it has taken up to the end of this season to sort out all the bugs and learn how to drive them [ remember theres alot to think about] my car has not reached its full potential as i have been struggling with too short final drives, with terminals of 124mph over the 1/4 im pulling 8500 and am not utilising the torque fully so i am now on with the engine rebuilds and fitting taller FDs .
    as a point of interest i launch in 2nd gear and then go straight into 4th , on my later runs this year although i was pulling 4th gear after about 100 ft i manages to cross the 1/8 in 7.1 secs at 102mph with a terminally failing rear engine.and over the line in 11.07 at 123mph .
    i'll hasve a think about the other cars and post later,

regards carl

I'm back, hello
    the second car finished belonged to a chap called Ian Jonson, fron Teeside in England. this had two supercharged 1300 A series ,and nitrous, the superchargers are from the BMW minis and are Eaton m45s. , this car used taller FDs than mine so was able to utilize the massive torque made to fairly good effect ,although initially struggling with launch technique ,Ian was torn between 1st and 2nd gear launches .the latter proving the better choice when both gearboxes were in the same gear [something he had probs with on more than one occasion]. this car used more conventional layout ,using another front subframe in the rear , and no real exotic parts ,except the ones i put on for promotional photo shoots.
    the body was a chopped roof 2 seater speedster style so had reduced frontal area along with better high speed aero. enabling terminals of up to 130 on the 1/4 mile with an ET of 11.16, with a bad launch,
    Ian suffered some engine probs over the last two years due to using a poor nitrous system ,and eventually broke the car up and sold the parts on having had enough of rebuilding engines and drivetrain, .
    i hoped he was going to stick at it for one more season to try break into the 10sec bracket, whick it would have done confortably, but it was not to be and will now prob never run again in twinnie form , a big shame as far as i am concerned.

regards carl

THeres a twin engine tiboroun on streetfire.net's video section.

isn't the VW Nardo W12 two V6 engines put together
    you're Lord & Master............. Foamy

The Nardo uses the same W12 engine (more or less) that the production A8 6.0 and Phaeton W12 use (and the Continental GT, Flying Spur...). It might be heavy (at least the W12 engined Audi A8 understeers horribly) but it's still only 1 engine

Btw. there is an old Opel Kadett (Vauxhall Astra) from the 80s with twin turbocharged engines in Slovenia, giving out around 660hp that I heard off. Supposedly still on register as a normal 1.3

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    There is a twin-engine VR6 Golf knocking about- it IS awesome. 0-60 takes 3.1 seconds, and the top speed (before one of the engines screwed an oil tube) was 175mph. Has anyone seen it? It's a bright blue thing, not unlike a few of my chops
    Attached Files Attached Files

this thread is 4 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    this thread is 4 years old.
    not everybody was a member at that time....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

audi tt with a 400hp engine,one in the back for rears and another 400hp running the front...I saw it on a documentary,made by a german company.

Quote Originally Posted by zique View Post
    audi tt with a 400hp engine,one in the back for rears and another 400hp running the front...I saw it on a documentary,made by a german company.
    It was the Bimoto Audi TT, kinda scary to drive too.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

i would imagine..such a small car with that much power!Better get life insurance first if you want to buy one of them lol

Top Gear did it as a limo
    They didn't synchronize the engines and transmissions, though

405 Alfa/Saab Limo | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNlXl7cQaNA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNlXl7cQaNA[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa_YupAVO8E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa_YupAVO8E[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Big time View Post
    Top Gear did it as a limo
    They didn't synchronize the engines and transmissions, though
    It's not a twin engine car as such; it's a car with two engines. Semantics. Only one engine is working at a time.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Thread Information