Thread: Michelin knocks back 8th team for more even split

Michelin knocks back 8th team for more even split

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=33538

MICHELIN WANTS 'MORE EVEN SPLIT'
    Last Updated: Wednesday, 20, July, 2005, 17:33
    Click to enlarge

Michelin says it would be happy for Bridgestone to supply more Formula 1 teams in 2006.

At present, seven of the ten F1 outfits run on Michelins, while only Ferrari, Jordan and Minardi use Bridgestones.

In a statement issued today, Michelin said that it had just turned down an approach from another team, and would actually prefer a ‘more even balance’ next season.

“An eighth team has now asked Michelin for a partnership agreement,” read the statement.

“Michelin is obviously delighted by the confidence this demonstrates, both in the positive appreciation of its products by its partners and also in the recognition of its policy of treating all its partners equally.

“However, this situation does not help the development of long-term competition between tyre manufacturers; a principle to which Michelin is firmly committed.

“Michelin is therefore completely open to allowing for a more balanced split of teams among tyre manufacturers, starting as early as the 2006 season.”

There has already been speculation that Red Bull Racing will move to Bridgestone tyres when it starts using Ferrari engines next season.

Teams flocked to Michelin in recent years after complaints that Bridgestone was favouring Ferrari to the detriment of its other customers.

Now Ferrari admits that the lack of other quick teams on Bridgestones is a problem, as the tyre company doesn't get the same quality and quantity of testing feedback as Michelin does.

The days of the Michelin-Bridgestone tyre war may be numbered anyway, as moves are afoot for F1 to switch to a single tyre supplier when the rules are revamped in 2008.
    I am the Stig

It's almost certain they'll lose Red Bull. Williams and Toyota are also in serious tlaks with Bridgestone, so next year we might see the table turn with Michelin having less teams and Bridgestone racking up more miles in testing.

I don't have any numbers, but I guess the ammount of testing done by Ferrari + Williams + Toyota should be slighty greater than that of McLaren + Renault + BAR.
    Would it be possible, to play forever?
    The conclusion reached was that a player is inevitably doomed to lose.

I think the whole "wanting more competition for the good of the sport etc etc blah blah blah" angle is Michelin trying to earn some much needed brownie points with the sport's bigwigs. It seems almost certain that come 2008 there'll only be one tyre manufacturer in the sport, and after the Indy shambles you've got to think that Bridgestone are the favourites to get the contract. I would imagine we'll see a LOT of manoeuvring and brown-nosing from the tyre manufacturers in the coming season or two as they fight it out for the exclusive contract to supply Formula 1 post 2007. Or maybe I'm just being cynical!
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

ive always wondered why companies like khumo, avon toyo etc dont sponsor f1?
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by Homem de Gelo
    It's almost certain they'll lose Red Bull. Williams and Toyota are also in serious tlaks with Bridgestone, so next year we might see the table turn with Michelin having less teams and Bridgestone racking up more miles in testing.

I don't have any numbers, but I guess the ammount of testing done by Ferrari + Williams + Toyota should be slighty greater than that of McLaren + Renault + BAR.
    Well i think Ferrari have established that theyre always going to be doing alot of testing, and Williams this year so far have on several occasions covered plenty of mileage in their tests. I think RB and Toyota are more likely to switch than Williams though
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    ive always wondered why companies like khumo, avon toyo etc dont sponsor f1?
    Becuase it's a whole different ballpark from the other racing series and they probably don't have the resources to give it a shot. And even if you have all the money you need, that won't garatee you success. Look at Toyota, complete gazillionairs with unlimited budgtet and only now have things started to pay off for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Homem de Gelo
    Becuase it's a whole different ballpark from the other racing series and they probably don't have the resources to give it a shot. And even if you have all the money you need, that won't garatee you success. Look at Toyota, complete gazillionairs with unlimited budgtet and only now have things started to pay off for them.
    And even if you had the money I don't think any of the F1 teams will just switch over to a new tire manufacturer without extensive track records in that field.
    " I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect."

My bumper sticker "If you can read this...I can slam on my brakes and sue you"

Why did Good Year stop supplying the teams?

Goodyear had been sole supplier for years and are the most successful tyre supplier in the championship.
    In 98 the costs were getting too high and they seemed not to agree with the grooves ( possibly because they were dominant in F1 slicks and it woudl be level playing field with the grooves introduced ).

So Goodyear supporters say it was beacuess of the high costs, Goodyear denigraters say it's because they were upset at not bing able to control the tyres.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Grooves were always a bad idea.
    It would be awesome if the 2008 rules allowed Goodyear to return, Imagine Goodyear vs Bridgestone vs Michelin!!!

Thread Information