Thread: Biker killed, 7 injured, in race pile-up at Manfeild.

Biker killed, 7 injured, in race pile-up at Manfeild.

Bikes and bodies "flew everywhere" in a 200km/h crash at Manfeild raceway yesterday in which one motorcycle racer died and seven others were injured.

The family of the dead man, 50-year-old Palmerston North man Owen Brunton, was watching the race when the crash happened. Brunton, an engineering company owner, died instantly when a group of riders ploughed into fellow racers about 12.30pm.

Police are seeking photographs and film footage of the crash so they can determine its cause. Occupational Safety and Health, Motorcycle New Zealand and the Victoria Motorcycle Club - which organised the Formula 3 race - will also investigate. But there are already concerns about the effectiveness of the red flag system, used to stop riders when a crash happens on a raceway.

One witness said the crash happened when one group of motorcyclists - travelling at 180km/h to 200km/h - did not see a red flag and crashed into another group stopped on the start/finish line.

He said red flags were used because there had been a crash on the back straight during the first lap of the race, in which one bike caught fire. The witness said: "There were bikes and bodies flying everywhere, it was just mayhem."

Rider Geoffrey Booth, who was involved in the crash, said it was a freak accident that happened very fast. Booth had stopped at the red flags when he saw a rider fly straight past him. "He just about clipped me. It only took a half second, that's when it all started."

Booth was hit by another racer, receiving bruises and cuts. He knew Brunton as a family friend and said he died doing something he loved.

A motorcycle enthusiast most of his life, Brunton was very supportive of those new to the sport. "He was a lovely guy."

Forty mostly experienced riders were competing, and the track was dry and visibility good at the time of the crash.

Three men, aged 32, 38 and 58, were taken to Palmerston North Hospital with chest, arm and leg injuries, police said. The 38-year-old was later discharged and the other two were in a stable and satisfactory condition. Four others with minor injuries were treated at the scene.

Victoria Motorcycle Club committee member Russell Williams, who saw the crash, said: "It's a real tragedy. Everything was going well. Then it all went totally wrong."

Williams, also a competitive rider, said fatal accidents were rare in motorcycle racing, but at speeds of up to 200km/h, things happened very quickly.

Motorcycling New Zealand road race commissioner Paul Stewart said the use of red flags would be reviewed as part of its investigation.

Booth said race officials should wave red flags at corners as well as the start/finish line, which is on a straight. "Going down the straight you're looking at the track. You've got your head down."

Andrew Stroud, who with Aaron Slight is one of New Zealand's foremost superbikers, said red flags were used around the world and they were usually safe. But there was always a risk of riders not seeing the flag or stopping too quickly.

"I think if people see a red flag, they need to not react too quickly and slow down gradually, and look behind them and put their hand up. That's about the only thing that can be done to improve safety."

Ten people have died on speedway tracks in the past eight years.

From www.stuff.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    Booth said race officials should wave red flags at corners as well as the start/finish line, which is on a straight. "Going down the straight you're looking at the track. You've got your head down."
    erm, the FIA rules that should be adopted by all officially sanctioned sports require marshals to show the red flag round ALL of the circuit and the drivers to immediately slow down and return to the pit with "utmost caution".

Seems really odd that this guy is suggesting that for some reason they don't follow those safety rules normally

Smaller tracks usually tell marshals to show a red if they see another marshal post waving red. Larger tracks have radios which immediately report stops and marshals then show red.

Sad to hear of the loss of life.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

The marshalls at Manfeild do have radios and are informed immediately of any crashes. I know for sure this was applied as I marshalled at A Victoria Motorcycle club event about a month ago. This was another Victoria Motorcycle club event (They're held regularly)

Auckland, New Zealand & Balikpapan, Indonesia
    oh man... thats terrible....
    "Rejection is better than regret. It's better to try and know you did your part, than to spend the rest of your days wishing you had tried"

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    erm, the FIA rules that should be adopted by all officially sanctioned sports require marshals to show the red flag round ALL of the circuit and the drivers to immediately slow down and return to the pit with "utmost caution".

Seems really odd that this guy is suggesting that for some reason they don't follow those safety rules normally

Smaller tracks usually tell marshals to show a red if they see another marshal post waving red. Larger tracks have radios which immediately report stops and marshals then show red.

Sad to hear of the loss of life.
    Wouldnt the FIA only become involved in international events?

Even V8 Supercars has only recently commited to FIA policies with mandatory fireproof underwear to be worn (which is stupid considering the race suits are already fireproof) and mandatory use of HANS devices, both since 2004.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Wouldnt the FIA only become involved in international events?

Even V8 Supercars has only recently commited to FIA policies with mandatory fireproof underwear to be worn (which is stupid considering the race suits are already fireproof) and mandatory use of HANS devices, both since 2004.
    Race organisers should be members of the FIA to sanction their competitions for international entrants - it means differnet national race license and equipment are OK. Each nation has it's own governing body who are memebers of FIA and within that the MotoSport Association. It is up to each nation to decide what their own rules are but on safety I would have hoped they would all go to the "safest". ( You do ofetn get differences in formula and fuel/tyres to reflect local history )

The FIA is a world governing body. It's like the equivalent of FIFA. An agreed body to provide rules everyone can contribute to and use.
    I was astounded to read that it sounds as if the Manfield track don't use the best and widest proven rules for their marshals

On your "stupid" comment. Fire safety is all down to how long it is estimated to be able to extract a person from a car. 3 layers is the norm for any serious competition. Nothing is "fireproof" they are flame retardent - for how long depends on the material and the number of layers. I used to compete with Nomex underwear and Proban suit - took no risks ( except my driving )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Race organisers should be members of the FIA to sanction their competitions for international entrants - it means differnet national race license and equipment are OK. Each nation has it's own governing body who are memebers of FIA and within that the MotoSport Association. It is up to each nation to decide what their own rules are but on safety I would have hoped they would all go to the "safest". ( You do ofetn get differences in formula and fuel/tyres to reflect local history )

The FIA is a world governing body. It's like the equivalent of FIFA. An agreed body to provide rules everyone can contribute to and use.
    I was astounded to read that it sounds as if the Manfield track don't use the best and widest proven rules for their marshals
    Perhaps its simply a grey area succeptible to knee-jerk reactions over such things, obviously NZ wouldnt have fatalities in regional motorsport every year, thus i wouldnt expect them to jump straight onto what would seem the safest option if whats already implemented is safe "enough".

On your "stupid" comment. Fire safety is all down to how long it is estimated to be able to extract a person from a car. 3 layers is the norm for any serious competition. Nothing is "fireproof" they are flame retardent - for how long depends on the material and the number of layers. I used to compete with Nomex underwear and Proban suit - took no risks ( except my driving )
    Well trust me when i say im not the only one of the opinion, the regular ace commentators think its unnecessary as do many of the drivers, but theyve got no choice.

Keep in mind also the different environments. The V8's for instance have their first race at the peak of summer heat waves at the old F1 track in Adelaide, which regularly sees air temp's jump above 35 degrees and cabin temps 55 degrees C. Even when they go to Darwin at the start of winter they can see similar temperatures, and need the cool suits for both events to get through.
    I am the Stig

Well trust me when i say im not the only one of the opinion, the regular ace commentators think its unnecessary as do many of the drivers, but theyve got no choice.
    Ins't that just the usual antipodean macho man bit tho'
    Keep in mind also the different environments. The V8's for instance have their first race at the peak of summer heat waves at the old F1 track in Adelaide, which regularly sees air temp's jump above 35 degrees and cabin temps 55 degrees C. Even when they go to Darwin at the start of winter they can see similar temperatures, and need the cool suits for both events to get through.
    yeah the heat is going to make it more difficult on the drivers and teasm to keep them cool. BUT fire isn't a respsector of the climate. It burns just as hot and as long in Iceland as it does in New Zealand
    Like this latest crash, why should it take an injury or death for the "safest" option to be take up ??
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 07-26-2005 at 03:16 AM.

Ins't that just the usual antipodean macho man bit tho'
    Perhaps, but with one commentator a former racer and only a few years ago, one of the drivers passing out from the heat, no one takes to wearing more clothes that lightly. Even the cool suits they wear apparently can do harm when the water in them starts boiling

yeah the heat is going to make it more difficult on the drivers and teasm to keep them cool. BUT fire isn't a respsector of the climate. It burns just as hot and as long in Iceland as it does in New Zealand
    Like this latest crash, why should it take an injury or death for the "safest" option to be take up ??
    Unfortunately i suppose particular people are either to ignorant or naive to realise they need more, or think they can manage the situation given the scenario. But you only learn things from making mistakes i suppose.
    I am the Stig

Perhaps, but with one commentator a former racer and only a few years ago, one of the drivers passing out from the heat, no one takes to wearing more clothes that lightly. Even the cool suits they wear apparently can do harm when the water in them starts boiling
    yeah, we seldom get that kind of temp here
    Unfortunately i suppose particular people are either to ignorant or naive to realise they need more, or think they can manage the situation given the scenario. But you only learn things from making mistakes i suppose.
    The shame seems to be that some wont' learn from OTHERS mistakes.

The bikers that rode past the stopped oens are morons

Thread Information