Thread: Now the chance to tell the teams what kind of qualifying you'd like to see

Now the chance to tell the teams what kind of qualifying you'd like to see

Couple of new proposals up for consideration from the teams and are looking to hear from the fans.

let them know .... http://www.formula1.com/news/3312.html

I go Proposal 1 as it removes weather as a factor favouring the different sections
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I'm im two minds, I think the First one would be best, but the second one would make drivers push harder all of the time in qualifying, making it more interesting.
    "The thunder of 1001bhp would send a sonic boom through his carbon fibre shell, crack it in half and leave a wet puddle on the fancy leather seat."

Quote Originally Posted by 6'bore
    I'm im two minds, I think the First one would be best, but the second one would make drivers push harder all of the time in qualifying, making it more interesting.
    hmmmm.....
    I pictured that if I had the fastest car then in the first few sessions I'd just do enough to make sure I was above the cut line. THEN in the last session go flat out knowing the opposition.
    Also the number of cars on track reduces through the sessions
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    hmmmm.....
    I pictured that if I had the fastest car then in the first few sessions I'd just do enough to make sure I was above the cut line. THEN in the last session go flat out knowing the opposition.
    Also the number of cars on track reduces through the sessions
    That's true, I think the first one would be the best. Although I also think that they shouldn't be able to refule like it is now, it makes for more interesting strategies.
    "The thunder of 1001bhp would send a sonic boom through his carbon fibre shell, crack it in half and leave a wet puddle on the fancy leather seat."

I've voted for the first option purely on the basis that I think the second one sounds WAY too complicated and confusing. It sounds a little bit like the DTM Superpole qualifying, which to be fair has been pretty successful. (In DTM they run open qualy for 30 mins and after that the top ten go through to a one lap 'superpole', kinda like a mini version of the current F1 system.) But in DTM the cars are a LOT more closely matched so it is much more about the driver than the car, plus there aren't the additional concerns of looking after tyres and engines etc which currently plague F1.

However I do have serious reservations about the first option too. I can see that the idea is for there to be as much action on track for the fans as possible but unless they change the current engine regs I can see problems. The fact is if you need an engine to last for two whole race weekends the teams simply aren't gonna be willing to push them to the absolute limit more than a couple of times in the session. Especially with the smaller teams who know that they aren't gonna make significant progress up the grid anyway regardless of how many laps they run, there really isn't a lot of incentive for them to go out and risk over-cooking their engines. Plus I'm not convinced of the whole aggregate qualifying time idea. It didn't really work very well earlier this season so I don't see why it would work this time.

I don't know why they can't just go back to the old 1 hour, 12 lap (or even unlimited lap) qualy session.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

i voted option 2 but they are both flawed
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    I don't know why they can't just go back to the old 1 hour, 12 lap (or even unlimited lap) qualy session.
    before changing the rul;es the problem was the "best" teams were waiting for the last 5 minutes before makine ONE appeareance and storming the quali.
    It made the 1 hour session a bore for the spectators and more importantnly the TV companies.
    IF they are going to broadcast the qualifying they need the action to be for the whole hour.
    So they thought copying the WSB Superpole was the best idea and kind of forgot that bieks and cars are different and the other rules hindered the plan !!

Both these options put forward by the teams clearly are intended to maximise their sponsors exposure in the broadcast of a complete hour of qualifying being guaranteed

Ok, m_p, what woudl YOU do ? The FIA can't get it right, the teasm can't get it right. What then ? It's easy to go "flaw, flaw" and real hard to come up with a solution that doesn't have any Care to try ?????

Proposal one is the best option. Proposal two can be heavily influenced by bad weather and it also is extremely prejudicial and unfair to the smaller teams. The best would actually be proposal one without the aggregate times, just stipulate a minimum number of laps each drivers should do in each of the 25 minutes sessions and let them give it a try.

Of course, to have real and proper qualifying, the tyre rules and engine rules must be heavily revised. That will never happen though.
    Would it be possible, to play forever?
    The conclusion reached was that a player is inevitably doomed to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Homem de Gelo
    Of course, to have real and proper qualifying, the tyre rules and engine rules must be heavily revised. That will never happen though.
    Will be interesting to see if the return to slicks brings about more consistent tyres.

They will, in 2008.
    lol
    Would it be possible, to play forever?
    The conclusion reached was that a player is inevitably doomed to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    It sounds a little bit like the DTM Superpole qualifying, which to be fair has been pretty successful. (In DTM they run open qualy for 30 mins and after that the top ten go through to a one lap 'superpole', kinda like a mini version of the current F1 system.)
    Funnily enough they run the exact same system in V8 Supercars, although the numbers are spread out alot with a minimum of 32 cars at each round, and only 10 making it to the one lap shootout.

I voted for proposal 1 though,
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    before changing the rul;es the problem was the "best" teams were waiting for the last 5 minutes before makine ONE appeareance and storming the quali.
    It made the 1 hour session a bore for the spectators and more importantnly the TV companies.
    IF they are going to broadcast the qualifying they need the action to be for the whole hour.
    So they thought copying the WSB Superpole was the best idea and kind of forgot that bieks and cars are different and the other rules hindered the plan !!

Both these options put forward by the teams clearly are intended to maximise their sponsors exposure in the broadcast of a complete hour of qualifying being guaranteed

Ok, m_p, what woudl YOU do ? The FIA can't get it right, the teasm can't get it right. What then ? It's easy to go "flaw, flaw" and real hard to come up with a solution that doesn't have any Care to try ?????
    WWMPD: have a mini race or 60 minute lap-as-fast-as-you-can time trial, whats so wrong with that
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    WWMPD: have a mini race or 60 minute lap-as-fast-as-you-can time trial, whats so wrong with that
    Why have TWO races ? Qualifying and the real race ?? Seems confused !!!
    "QUALIFYING" is that surely, not "racing" Woudl "blocking" be acceptabel in this "mini race" ? And how is that measnt to sort out a reasonable start grid with the fastest car/driver on pole rather than the mobile chicane on pole ??

erm, 60 minunte lap-as-fast-as-you-can is what it used to be and if you do a little research you'll find otu all the problesm associated with that. I've already posted the major one !!!

Thread Information