Thread: Buying a Volvo 850?

Buying a Volvo 850?

My parents recently have been looking to buy another car, one which i will mostly be driving. They found a Volvo 850 Turbo near a local dealership and were now considering buying it. We really wanted side air bags, and this car was the first to ever have side air bags, and on the turbo model there standard. Its got a sun roof a nice interior and that good volvo reliability. I want my parents to buy this car the only thing troubling them is that the passenger side air bag cover is a bit messed up and theres two square dents on the front bumper. So i suppose it was in an accident and the air bag deployed and wasnt sealed properly when put back in. The thing im wondering about though is that was the accident that it was in damaging to the cars structure at all? Under the hood it looks fine, but those small dents on the bumper are odd. What do you think about it? Should we have a mechanic check it out first? Also How fast do you have to be going in an accident to have the airbags come out? If all it was was a little bump then we'll definitely buy the car. What else do you know about this car that may be helpful in making the decision to buy it or not? I've heard they can hit some pretty high mileage. Also are volvo's pretty expensive to service?

can u giv me rides to school?

I own a '96 850 GLT, and it's absolutely indestructible. Everything on the car is A+, haven't had any problems with it. It's pretty quick when you put it in sport mode and floor it, too (And I don't have a turbo model!).

I wouldn't know about the airbag, cuz mine hasn't been in any crashes, but you can be sure the little dents on the bumper don't mean anything.

So i suppose your car has those dent things too? Do you know what there for?

My mum has a '97 850 T5, it's terrific. The traction control doesn't work though, and the climate control died last summer, and we were having issues with an oxygen sensor in there, but it's all good now. Done about 120000kms and it still smooth as. Have to say, I've never noticed any dents in the bumper. I'd be getting it checked out by a mechanic, or preferably a local Volvo dealership. If the cover is messed up, I'd be concerned about the cost to fix it, and whether or not that airbag still works. It could be an indication that there's also no driver's airbag in there, the steering wheel could have been replaced with an empty one. Definately worth persuing, but walk away if you're not convinced about the airbags.

It was probably a low speed crash that only did cosmetic damage. The air bag was not suppose to even deploy if the bumper only has dents saying that this was a low speed crash. I heard of people dying in low speed crashes because the air bag deployed and killed them. These days I hear that how fast an air bag is deployed depends on how fast the car is moving or it's always deployed at a safe inflation rate so it does not kill the driver.
    Anyway. Side air bags and basically air bags wont save you. In a serious crash you either die or not depending on your luck. At least that's what I believe. I would have no problem riding in a car without any air bags at all.
    Last edited by QBridge; 07-26-2005 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deffenbaugh03
    So i suppose your car has those dent things too? Do you know what there for?
    no, mine doesn't have them, I'm just saying that the car is so indestructible that it wouldn't do anything. I would get it replaced, though.

Quote Originally Posted by QBridge
    I heard of people dying in low speed crashes because the air bag deployed and killed them.

In a serious crash you either die or not depending on your luck. At least that's what I believe. I would have no problem riding in a car without any air bags at all.
    And these things are meant to save lives...

Um, I think an airbag seriously increases your chance of survival. If you're smashed into the steering column, you can die from chest injuries, and these can't happen when there are huge cushions in the way.

Still, I like seatbelts, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Orefus
    can u giv me rides to school?
    Are you sure???? its A Ford I mean Volvo, I can make one for you bro, just get me some cardboards...LOL!
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Quote Originally Posted by QuattroMan
    Are you sure???? its A Ford I mean Volvo, I can make one for you bro, just get me some cardboards...LOL!
    For got one thing,if you have kids in your family don't get the rear air bags,it can actually kill them, it is not safe for kids...
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

my dad hit some old lady c/o break failure. We rearended her at about 5MPH and the airbags didnt go off. so it has to be more then that I would think.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by deffenbaugh03
    Its got a sun roof a nice interior and that good volvo reliability.
    That good Volvo reliability really took a dive with the early 850s. In general, early FWD Volvos did not come close imho to delivering previous levels of (RWD) Volvo reliability/durability

My family swears by Volvos, as a matter of fact the last one we own just blew the right front spring coil (my car, an '86 wagon, due to rust) and these things are tanks. I've been in more than one accident where driving any other car would've resulted in injury. As it was, I walked away from all of them, usually with minimal damage to the Volvo.
    Signature? We don't need no steenking signature

Thread Information