Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In a few years time

In a few years time

Well in a few years time im planning a trip to america (possibly even sooner well see) and while there im planning to see the sites and my biggest ambition is to pick up a car! Now this wont be just any car I intend to pick up somthing that would make a good club racer and som,thing that is so diffrent (niot hard with most american cars here) that people will just gawk.
    The necesitys are light weight and v8 engine and also manual
    So far my small option list includes
    chevy Monza Spyder (ugly as sin but a lot of potential)
    Ive been tiold a 70s mercuary comet or a ford maverick might be a good idea (im told their cheap too and share parts with a ford falcon but never seen one i dont know what size they are)
    AMC AMX (thats a possiblity if its a wreck)
    AMC Hornet (sligtly more likely)
    And a Triumph TR8 (of course i dont need to leave home to buy one of them)
    Any ideas/info on the cars i have on my list or any others worth adding?
    Ty al for your time

-Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500
    Well in a few years time im planning a trip to america (possibly even sooner well see) and while there im planning to see the sites and my biggest ambition is to pick up a car! Now this wont be just any car I intend to pick up somthing that would make a good club racer and som,thing that is so diffrent (niot hard with most american cars here) that people will just gawk.
    Take the long route home and pick up a Sylva Stryker, Westfield, Caterham or Lotus Elise. You can get a V8 in the Westfield if you want the slowest option

Ive been tiold a 70s mercuary comet or a ford maverick might be a good idea (im told their cheap too and share parts with a ford falcon but never seen one i dont know what size they are)
    Any ideas/info on the cars i have on my list or any others worth adding?
    Ty al for your time

-Nick

obviously i guess you want to veer away from the shelby cobra replica's, have you heard of i think its called an Alpine Tiger? Theyre a small roadster with a small V8 in them. i dont know if the performance of them is anything special but surely they'd be a thrill to drive
    I am the Stig

i just had a crazy thought, have you heard of the Lotus X7? its a clubman type racer but rather than a high revving, deep breathing 4 in it, its got a 240kw Gen3 LS-1 in the front end. i think you can buy them new for about $40K which i imagine is out of you price range but theyre apparently serviceable at any holden dealer
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    i just had a crazy thought, have you heard of the Lotus X7? its a clubman type racer but rather than a high revving, deep breathing 4 in it, its got a 240kw Gen3 LS-1 in the front end. i think you can buy them new for about $40K which i imagine is out of you price range but theyre apparently serviceable at any holden dealer
    WHAT!!!! a prehistoric pushrod dinosaur, and from GM no less. Falc would rather cut off his accelerator foot.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

lol i think for the performance given over a 4 cylinder he wont mind who makes the V8
    I am the Stig

dont waste ur time in the states falc, ive seen the most gorgeous sports car ive ever seen in my life....(besides the almight cobra!hehe).its called a bolwell nagari, the one i like in particulary is the Nagari Roadster (its basically a convertible). However only 13 were ever built, (there are a lot of roadsters which were converted from normal bolwells-hardtops). They were available as a complete car or a DIY kit back in the 70s, they weighed 912kgs and came out with a 302 windsor, or the heavy 302 clevo which bumped it up to 1035 kilos. The standard 2 barrell windsor could propel it from 0-100kmh in 6.3 seconds and 14.2 1/4 mile times..With the gutsy 8 inch differentil and top loader gearbox and xw front suspension, the car would be as tough as nails and could be hammered all day without the worry of over stressing a high revving turbo engine. Dont get to excited though as the roadsters now fetch up to 50000 dollars and and a hard top will fetch around 30000 dollars.

hmmm well i more then likey should of said a budget is undertermined though i think by that time if jail bird (my partner in crime and the nut wholl be my co-driver/navigator) would more then likely be able to pull together 20k as i said a few years and id much prefer to go under that limit have some more money to do the suspension and stuff.
    Crisis i cant be that much of a biggot im looking at a chevrolet monza with its mighty 305 tpi engine
    Sunbeam tiger fpv? the same car maxwell smart drove their smaller then the origonal 260 windsor powerd cobras and preformedvery similar 20k us asking price for one of them ive looked at them an interesting idea never the less.
    I dont know the first 2 you mention matra (any info and or sticker prices on them?) but isnt the caterham a kit car? (frowned upon in classic rally and club meets) early lotus elsie sounds like a good idea thatll be fun though electrics are a problem i hear..still would like one.
    Shaker i like your idea best but they are hard to get hold off dont forget. Id like aroofto reduce some road noise (id need to hear jailbird) and for that safe feeling...and some even came out with 351s rare as all buggery though its still slightly off budget and hard to come by.
    Other ideas i ponderd today Costworth Sierra (a trip to pommy land doesnt exactly float my boat though)
    Mazda RX7 (or earlier) cheap sticker prices decent performance handeling and considerd the ultimate club car here
    Mustnags in general (although a Fox body cobra seems the most practical as faras price and light weight gos)
    Studebaker avanti r2 or r4 (sigh i do dream somtimes dont i? 30k in this country)
    Everone says go torana but meh(for the right price only)

And wheres NoOne? (odd satement ) hed have a rough idea what some of my options would cost and no doubt has a bobs worth to add.
    Ty all who helped im going to see jail bird tomorrow ill float the ideas with him

Cheers
    -Nick

obviously i guess you want to veer away from the shelby cobra replica's, have you heard of i think its called an Alpine Tiger? Theyre a small roadster with a small V8 in them. i dont know if the performance of them is anything special but surely they'd be a thrill to drive
    60s roadster based on designed-in-50s suspension
    Beautiful looking car and a REAL classic in rallying and racing.
    Look to have to do a lot of rust repairs ( unless a Calif model )Nothing startling in performance and handling.
    Tuning can do a lot for the former, don't know what's available for the latter.
    Suggest you contact UK owners club where you'll find lots of help and pointers.

lol i think for the performance given over a 4 cylinder he wont mind who makes the V8
    Fastest track demons out there are 4-cylinder bike-engined Lotus 7 copies.
    You guys just don't get enough exposure to what the cutting edge of fast sportscars are doing :-)
    You can pick up a Lotus 7 copy for about 2000 GBP and add a SERIOUS bike engine for about the same again and you WILL NOT BE BEATEN
    Unfortunately, these cars don't get stateside because of their strict crash requirements. In the UK we have SVA which allows us to engineer and build one-offs and as long as they pass an engineers inspection they get on the road. For those who worry about the Volvo SUV driven by mom on the mobile phone, get a full race roll cage fitted and carbon-fibre full race seats for a couple of grand and you'll survive a 'hummer-hit' !!!

Quote Originally Posted by SHAKER
    dont waste ur time in the states falc, ive seen the most gorgeous sports car ive ever seen in my life....it from 0-100kmh in 6.3 seconds and 14.2 1/4 mile times......up to 50000 dollars and and a hard top will fetch around 30000 dollars.
    For 1/4th of THAT get a car that beats the 0-60mph by 50%
    What do you WANT out of the car you're looking for ?
    How important is comfort ?
    Is it mainly posing or serious track use ??
    Can try to help, but so far not sure you're preferences

I dont know the first 2 you mention matra (any info and or sticker prices on them?) but isnt the caterham a kit car? (frowned upon in classic rally and club meets)
    What period of classic are you wanting to do ?
    If the kit was available in the period the class covers then there should be no problem. ( The Sylva and Westfield are Lotus 7 copies - the Sy;va is THE best handling package in the market )
    We've had success with rallies now including specific classes for kit cars.
    BUT, I don't recommend a Lotus 7 copy for navigational, night-time or cold weather rallies.
    We competed on a night-time navigational event in December - in SCOTLAND.
    We started with the hood up to try to keep warm and it was too claustraphobic and not enough spec to work the maps, timesheets and tripmaster. We finished the last 6 stages with the hood DOWN. In sub-zero temperatures at midnight. NOT RECOMMENDED
    In the UK their is anotheri kind of rally - 'historic' - which is all about originality and lots of money and posing.
    They can get upset if the road is a little rough FFS !!!
    early lotus elsie sounds like a good idea thatll be fun though electrics are a problem i hear..still would like one.
    Electrics will always be a problem with any classic British sportscar
    Lotus Elan Sprints make excellent cars for tarmac events.
    Shaker i like your idea best but they are hard to get hold off dont forget. Id like aroofto reduce some road noise (id need to hear jailbird) and for that safe feeling
    Fit a roll cage for safety.
    Get Peltor helmets and radios to make sure you can hear.
    Rocks and rough rodes make shouting difficult.
    Get a mic amplifier with a volume control on the driver - it helps us navigate if we can switch of your mutterings
    Other ideas i ponderd today Costworth Sierra (a trip to pommy land doesnt exactly float my boat though)
    Get rally-prepped cars by the bundle of you come to UK.
    Come to Scotland and avoid the 'poms'
    Get "Motorsport News" weekly paper for competitions news and cars for sale.
    - Austin McHales' GrpA Opel Monza is for sale this week for 2300 pounds.
    - Or how about 2 ( yes TWO) Corollas, one rally prepped for 1850
    - 1964 Mini Cooper 'S' for 12K. Full FIA papers so can do ANY historic rally 'out of the box'
    - No full cossie Sierras this week, but theire is a competition rolling shell for 1500.

I honestly believe you'd be wasting your time, not to mention shipping costs buying an American car as they are far from lightweight.

No offense intended, but all the cars you mentioned are crap.

If you really wanted an American car for club racing (not sure what that is) definitely go for a Ford Mustang preferably late '80's or newer, 225hp easily tweaked to 250+, they also handle and brake well and priced decently because there are billions of them here ($5,000 to over $15,000 - depending on year and condition).

If you're looking for something a little more nostalgic, you are going to be really disappointed. Musclecars or their less muscular family versions used to be reasonably cheap are now priced way above what they should be, and thats the biggest reason I'm out of that scene for now.

Best advice I can give - not knowing what is available to you there - is to go with one of the suggestions Matra et Alpine gave.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Take the long route home and pick up a Sylva Stryker, Westfield, Caterham or Lotus Elise. You can get a V8 in the Westfield if you want the slowest option
    you could get an 80's corvette.
    Wenn Sie wissen wollen, was einen volkswagen ein volkswagen macht, treibt es.

I have mentioned before that my mate races in what was called club cars but I think has a different name now. Check out CAMS website and have a look. You can race any car that raced in any race category and shoehorn any motor from the same manufacturer. (I think). He races little Datsins with RD20det motors which he is told can be bought for a couple of grand. They tend to be reliable and go forever. $20000 is not much of a racing budget, there are other costs apart from the car, but you may scrape together a sponsor or two. Beware the seductive siren call of motor racing. My mate started in formula V, " I just want to race, I dont care about being competative". Then when he had won enough of those race after buying and wrecking several cars he decided he wanted to go into club cars, only racing and not being competative and all that shit. I wont tell you how much I think it has cost him to get to this point because his wife might one day read this and I think he doesnt even admit the real cost to me, (out of courtesy I dont ask).
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Thread Information