Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1986 RX7 Engine Swap

yep, its gotta have 'mrs approval' or its just not gonna happen. as far as cup holders go, i live in place that sees 40 + degrees celcius in summer, so i drink alot of water and thus need a cup holder. call it a modern luxury, along with air conditioning, that i refuse to live without. i agree that some manufacturers spend more time syncing ipods than they do syncing the firing order of an engine. hyundai, among other manufacturers, are guilty of this. my brothers mate just got one of those i30 diesel wagon things (a bmw 120i knock off, but without the engine and rear wheel drive to back it up), anyway, to make a boring story even more boring, he's wanking on about the ipod connectivity and this and that and portraying it as the best thing since sliced bread was invented, and i'm thinking so, its still a front wheel drive cheaply made korean diesel pos. i feel sorry for this guy as he has to actually drive around in it now. well, at least he's got his ipod, he can crank up some slayer / tool and hopefully that will drown his sorrows and deter him from suicidal inclinations as a direct result of his unfortunate purchase. in relation to the mx5, i dont have any kids yet, so it suits us, and as i was reading last night on the inter googles, and much to the delight of the mrs, it will easily fit the guitars in the boot. we go away alot on day trips, throw a guitar in the boot, rug, picnic stuff then hit the road, wherever we end up, we end up. when it comes to things like camping, and fitting all your stuff in there, obviously it would not accommodate a 4 burner bbq, little billy's bike, a canoe, a big box of psycholgical issues, and whatever else the jones's take away to boring town these days. but i dont see why it couldnt handle a small 4 man tent, an air mattress and your clothes etc. i'd say thats practical to a degree. as far as everything else goes, its non-turbo and 4 cyl, so insurance and registration is fine, as well as servicing and fuel costs. all this wrapped up in a great looking package (with air con and cup holders!) that the mrs can enter and exit without doing the pie shot thing. aside from losing 3 seats over my current faithful chariot, 2005 toyota corolla, the mx5 has pretty much the same attributes, but being a bit more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzycarnut View Post
    yep, its gotta have 'mrs approval' or its just not gonna happen. as far as cup holders go, i live in place that sees 40 + degrees celcius in summer, so i drink alot of water and thus need a cup holder. call it a modern luxury, along with air conditioning, that i refuse to live without. i agree that some manufacturers spend more time syncing ipods than they do syncing the firing order of an engine. hyundai, among other manufacturers, are guilty of this. my brothers mate just got one of those i30 diesel wagon things (a bmw 120i knock off, but without the engine and rear wheel drive to back it up), anyway, to make a boring story even more boring, he's wanking on about the ipod connectivity and this and that and portraying it as the best thing since sliced bread was invented, and i'm thinking so, its still a front wheel drive cheaply made korean diesel pos. i feel sorry for this guy as he has to actually drive around in it now. well, at least he's got his ipod, he can crank up some slayer / tool and hopefully that will drown his sorrows and deter him from suicidal inclinations as a direct result of his unfortunate purchase. in relation to the mx5, i dont have any kids yet, so it suits us, and as i was reading last night on the inter googles, and much to the delight of the mrs, it will easily fit the guitars in the boot. we go away alot on day trips, throw a guitar in the boot, rug, picnic stuff then hit the road, wherever we end up, we end up. when it comes to things like camping, and fitting all your stuff in there, obviously it would not accommodate a 4 burner bbq, little billy's bike, a canoe, a big box of psycholgical issues, and whatever else the jones's take away to boring town these days. but i dont see why it couldnt handle a small 4 man tent, an air mattress and your clothes etc. i'd say thats practical to a degree. as far as everything else goes, its non-turbo and 4 cyl, so insurance and registration is fine, as well as servicing and fuel costs. all this wrapped up in a great looking package (with air con and cup holders!) that the mrs can enter and exit without doing the pie shot thing. aside from losing 3 seats over my current faithful chariot, 2005 toyota corolla, the mx5 has pretty much the same attributes, but being a bit more fun.

The ultimate example of an emotional decision backed by logic . I love it! It sounds like you guys are going to have a ton of fun. My wife and I are the same in that we love to hit the road and get away for a day or two. Mind you, my car can fit a little more because its got a hatchback with a ton of space when you fold the "in-law" seats down. Same overall experience though. Good for you guys. I want to see pics after you've made your purchase .

yes indeed rob, life is there to be lived, hence why we have fun doing it. i dont see the point in being a couch potato! i will post some pics when we get around to actually purchasing it.

p.s. the mx5 also is 'in-law' friendly, in that theres no room for them in it, yay!

Quote Originally Posted by ozzycarnut View Post
    p.s. the mx5 also is 'in-law' friendly, in that theres no room for them in it, yay!
    trailer hitch and buggy .

maybe a taser to stop them clinging on as a i make a hasty exit?!

Thread Information