Thread: Videos of me playing with my CBR :)

Auckland, New Zealand & Balikpapan, Indonesia

Videos of me playing with my CBR :)

Hi guys,

Heres a couple vids of my attempts of doing a wheelie on my bike getting the front tyre off the ground is prety easy but getting it high in the air is bloody hard!

video quality is small and dark sorry
    attached is also a pic of me, just to prove that the guy in the video is me and not someone else (even though its dark)

any bikers out there who can give me advice on wheelies? how do u keep doing a wheelie for ages?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "Rejection is better than regret. It's better to try and know you did your part, than to spend the rest of your days wishing you had tried"

How about filming in daytime so we can actually see something
    I think Koenigsegg is Swedish for: "Oh no, my head's just exploded!"

Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by r1ckst4
    any bikers out there who can give me advice on wheelies? how do u keep doing a wheelie for ages?
    Unless you can afford to trhough your bike away the best advice is to DONT.

IF you try long wheelies you're going to learn to play with your body position, revs, clutch, gear change and rear brake. All needing good balance and machine control by all 4 limbs simultaneously !! Get it even slightly wrong as you try to change up out of first/secodn and you WILL bin the bike at some time. If you can't afford it then stop being a d'head

You did it in jeans and the jacket doesnt' look as if it's got armour in it ?
    Very , VERY silly or too macho I'm not sure. IF you bin it trygin to hold it there at speed then you will lost 1 inch of skin for every 30 feet you slide.

Consistent with my attitidude on road races. DONT. Go to a track and do it there. Wear proper equipment that will protect you in the event of an incident.

Doing it in the dark is just plain STUPID.
    Once someone is good at it, possibly OK, but while learning you need ALL the visual clues your brain can get to keep things balanced.

Anyway, assuming you go to a track - btw why not just find a wheelie-school near you ? There are loads in UK ... you're needing to use MORE revs to get up and play the middle/upper revs to keep you there whiel using your body balance to make fine adjustments. Also the bikes sounds a little "weedy" - what size, 400 ? Smaller bikes need more aggression on the clutch and then adjustments too as you NEED to keep the engine pushign and not let it "bog down".

Please don't wheelie for show, it's STUPID - like smoking tyres and do'nuts on the high street !!!!
    But if you're riding a biek fast then you need to be able to balance it for those occasions you go over a dip and the wheel lifts and coming out of some corners. There's a hump-back-bridge on one of my local roads where it's impossibel to NOT wheelie it
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

matra?

i have seen races where people do wheelies down the straights ( front maybe a foot off the ground), is this to but more weight on the back wheel thus having slightly better acceleration? or maybe when they floor it they cant help but do a slight wheelie? or is it just for show? im not to knowledgable on bikes unfortunaltly
    < 1 - 2 - to the bass >

Look at some ghost rider vids and learn from the master no but seriously wear some protective gear go to a track (at day light) like Matra said, look on the net if their any courses for wheelie-taking out there

Quote Originally Posted by kko
    i have seen races where people do wheelies down the straights ( front maybe a foot off the ground), is this to but more weight on the back wheel thus having slightly better acceleration? or maybe when they floor it they cant help but do a slight wheelie? or is it just for show? im not to knowledgable on bikes unfortunaltly
    I think you hit the nail on the head there.

I'm no bike expert but I know top end Superbikes and MotoGP bikes have LUDICROUS power/weight ratios. Having your front off the ground a little bit isn't the best for either stability/control or aerodynamics, but it's unavoidable sometimes when accelerating out of tight corners. Some riders even feather their rear brake to stop the bike rearing up too much.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

R1ckst4 you never told me the specs of your bike (and I couldn't find them on the web). Seems like it has a pretty decent accel

Nice vid, make a couple more during the day if possible.

Be careful

EVERT modern sportsbike will wheelie without any effort.

Once you get to the top end GSX-100, ZX-12, Fireblade, R1 then it become impossible to keep them down - unless you're a woose and unwilling to unleash the performacne heavily paid for

Keeping them DOWN is the challenge when you crack open the throttle.
    I'm a big guy and even I can't keep the front down all the time.

AS J_B says, buy the time you get to the ludicrous power and short wheelbase of a MotoGP it's even harder. But those guys have built up the skills to not only wheelie but steer while on the back wheel by shifting weight.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    You did it in jeans and the jacket doesnt' look as if it's got armour in it ?
    Very , VERY silly or too macho I'm not sure. IF you bin it trygin to hold it there at speed then you will lost 1 inch of skin for every 30 feet you slide.
    i do have a proper motorbike jacket with pads the video was taken after a night out with my mate so i didnt really want to wear the jacket that nite... as for the jeans... i dont have enuff money to get proper bike pants yet

Doing it in the dark is just plain STUPID.
    Once someone is good at it, possibly OK, but while learning you need ALL the visual clues your brain can get to keep things balanced.
    the video was actually on the LOWESST setting i was running out of memory so the place looks a lot darker than what it really was... and i did it at a big empty carpark I took a pic of the place without using flash on my camera... just to show u how bright the place was

Anyway, assuming you go to a track - btw why not just find a wheelie-school near you ? There are loads in UK ... you're needing to use MORE revs to get up and play the middle/upper revs to keep you there whiel using your body balance to make fine adjustments. Also the bikes sounds a little "weedy" - what size, 400 ? Smaller bikes need more aggression on the clutch and then adjustments too as you NEED to keep the engine pushign and not let it "bog down".
    NZ sucks.. we dont have wheelie schools or any type of schools for bikers. We do have clubs and all that but i just cant be bothered to join . My bike is 250cc and i'm not that confident yet to do it on the roads lol... too scary!

Thanks for the advice Matra, i apriciate it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Rejection is better than regret. It's better to try and know you did your part, than to spend the rest of your days wishing you had tried"

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx
    R1ckst4 you never told me the specs of your bike (and I couldn't find them on the web). Seems like it has a pretty decent accel

Nice vid, make a couple more during the day if possible.

Be careful
    here u go Niko... My bike specs is SLIGHTLY different...
    Type 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC
    Cylinder arrangement Inline - 4 cylinder
    Displacement 249 cc
    Bore x Stroke 48.5 x 33.8 mm
    Compression Ratio 11.5:1
    Maximum power 40PS/ 14,500 rpm
    Maximum Torque 2.4kg-m @ 11,500 rpm
    Starting System Electric
    Lubrication Sump
    Carburation In-line slant x 4
    Transmission Type Constant mesh 6-speed
    Gear Ratio 1st 2.733
    Gear Ratio 2nd 2.000
    Gear Ratio 3rd 1.590
    Gear Ratio 4th 1.333
    Gear Ratio 5th 1.153
    Gear Ratio 6th 1.035
    Ignition System Digital
    Final Transmission Chain
    Overall Length 1975 mm
    Overall Width 675 mm
    Overall Height 1080 mm
    Seat Height 735 mm
    Wheelbase 1345 mm
    Minimum Ground Clearance 130 mm
    Dry Weight 158 kg
    Frame Type Aluminium
    Fuel Tank Capacity 13 L
    Front Suspension 37 mm fork
    Front Shock Absorber
    Rear Suspension
    Front Wheel Aluminium
    Front Wheel Travel
    Rear Wheel Aluminium
    Rear Wheel Travel
    Front Brake 275 mm diam - dual disc - dual piston callipers
    Rear Brake 220 mm diam - single disc - single piston calliper
    Front tyre 110/70 R17
    Rear tyre 140/60 R17

Thread Information