Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite NFL Team

cries

I tried, I really TRIED
    BUT come on, it's advisable to check facts before posting.

For ice hockey it's widely accepted that the British are responsible for bringing hockey to North America. Soldiers stationed in Nova Scotia, Canada, played the earliest games. and Field hockey pre-dated THAT by about 4000 YEARS.

Dont' bother responding. This is for everyone else to learn and not get confused or end up looking bad in the sportsbar !!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    cries

I tried, I really TRIED
    BUT come on, it's advisable to check facts before posting.

For ice hockey it's widely accepted that the British are responsible for bringing hockey to North America. Soldiers stationed in Nova Scotia, Canada, played the earliest games. and Field hockey pre-dated THAT by about 4000 YEARS.

Dont' bother responding. This is for everyone else to learn and not get confused or end up looking bad in the sportsbar !!!!
    I must...

It is alo widely accepted that it is considered a american (as in North america not USA) sport since 90% of all activity involving the sport gravitates around North america. Also because They developed it from the rudimentary game those soldiers played..

The same way Basketball is wideley accepted as a American (US) sport, even though it was a canadian who invented it and perfected it.

Just because Britishman played an early version of the sport that does not make it a British sport.
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

yes, but hockey was also in a large part adapted from lacrosse which was played by native americans for many thousands of years before white men showed up on the american continent...
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey
    yes, but hockey was also in a large part adapted from lacrosse which was played by native americans for many thousands of years before white men showed up on the american continent...
    no, guys, FIELD HOCKEY was played for centuries. There are Egyption glyphs dating back 4000 yeras shoing the game being played.

Ice hockey was started ad the rules created as was written.

The guy I nav for and his brother played and now coach field hockey, he has confirmed that there were hockey-liek sports being played for milleniia across the wordl. That almost every region has a form of the game.

But the rules everyoen is playing to came first from British rulse for firled hockey and then the Canadian rules developed as the British soldiers brought the game and played it in ice conditions !!

He gave me a few links, but basicaly he said anyone can find the history by googling as it's published by almost every national association.

The point wasn't that it was it beign British but we had a post saying it was traced its' routes to Canada when the roots actually go deeper
    Thinking it as a nationlaistic claim isn't valid. that's not what I get off on
    Everybody knows me by now - it's truth
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 08-06-2005 at 06:05 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

you learn something mew everyday, now do you?
    I have found a new love in the form of a tristar.

EAGLES!

I live like 30min from Pittsburgh but I hate the Steelers.

i am not disputing you matra, but there was a bit of the ice hockey foundation from lacrosse. which was played by native americans. in america. a long ass time ago.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Go Colts! Just remember never to expect them to play at less than room temperature.

Chicago Bears are my team. Through and through, if you cut me I will bleed Orange and Navy. I think they will be a great team this year. They are playing in the Hall of Fame Game Monday night in Ohio

no NFL......
    pondering things

cool u like the chicago bears? there ok i guess. ever since i started being a fan they started to suck. i cant capitalize my letters for some reason, since my shit dosent work.

the only good thing about NFL is the snapping of players, and the lingerie bowl.

its so bleeding boring to watch. same with baseball.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz
    the only good thing about NFL is the snapping of players, and the lingerie bowl.

its so bleeding boring to watch. same with baseball.
    BUT OMG...THEYRE....LIKE.....AMERICAN PASSTIMES....THEYRE SUCH GREAT SPORTZSES!!!!!

i hate them both....but if you say that in america, someone might stab you
    pondering things

nah, they would shoot you before you got close enough to be stabbed.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey
    i am not disputing you matra, but there was a bit of the ice hockey foundation from lacrosse. which was played by native americans. in america. a long ass time ago.
    no probs, as I'd said C, their are variants played in all regions of the world pre-dating by thousands of youars todays version

t was my mate who gave me the original refernce on their hocky pages about ice hockey exapsnion.
    So, I thought I shoudl confirm and checkout out the official NHL site.

it confirms what I'd been told.

BUT it also gave info on the earlier version before the british soldiers took it to Canada. Looks like we have to give the Dutch some credit
    http://www.nhl.com/hockeyu/history/evolution.html
    They don't mention any lacrosse influence or link.

Thread Information