Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cars get up to 250 mpg

One point about that article, he mentions that power stations pump out less pollution than oil, yet in a review of the.. I think it was the Saab 9-3, it was mentioned that if you drive it through LA, the anti-pollution system would actually clean the air due to its efficiency. I dunno if this is an exaggeration, but if it's close to the truth then the technology can't be that much of an advantage in that corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Orefus
    Man it b sick tho, goin for gas like 1 a year.
    I just had to quote that. Funny even when spelled properly

"Man it be sick though, going for gas like one a year."

Quote Originally Posted by pimento
    One point about that article, he mentions that power stations pump out less pollution than oil, yet in a review of the.. I think it was the Saab 9-3, it was mentioned that if you drive it through LA, the anti-pollution system would actually clean the air due to its efficiency. I dunno if this is an exaggeration, but if it's close to the truth then the technology can't be that much of an advantage in that corner.
    I think they might just mean LA is so polluted it would clean up the air THERE. Otherwise there would be enourmous air cleaning machines flying around saving the planet.

I'd drive a Prius but it's too expensive and it's better to wait for a fuel cell vehicle. Hopefully a vehicle that's in production now like a Toyota Camry or a Nissan Altima or a Honda Accord.
    I'm tired of these car manufacturers making hybrids soo ugly and expensive.
    Anybody know if there is any plans from car manufacturers to introduce a current model with a fuel cell? Honda, Toyota, Nissan?

The Mercedes Benz Bionic concept get 80 mpg on a highway (prius only get about 40 on highway driving) without the use of a hybrid engine. Its shaped after some tropical fish giving it an incredibly low coefficient of drag. It's also butt-ugly .

I think they make them ugly so you don't buy them and buy the ones that run on gas and are more expensive. No one needs to be pulling new models out the ass. Take a model already out and make it hydrogen powered.

The 250mpg is rather misleading because you still have to get power from someplace. Yes, it allows you to use grid power vs gas and that may be more cost effective for the owner. However, claiming 250mpg would be like rolling my car down a long hill while idling (this works in the Rockies) then claiming I got 100 mpg. Well I did on the down hill because I could power the car with gasoline (used to keep the AC running) and potential energy (mass and a change in height). It's not like I got to the top of the mountain without using some gas.

It is an interesting idea and to be honest, I like it because it gives you the benefits of both battery and gas cars but unfortunately it comes with a steep price tag.

life would be boring everyone would be driving the same freakin car

could you stop bringing back dead threads with your useless opinions
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

You can apply it to almost any body you want, so (hopefully) soon the Prius won't be 'the cutting edge.
    That would be cool to have a big ol' murc with 250mpg fuel economy.

Thread Information