Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sage
    I don't feel like I'm your pal, but ok.

Well Mr Expert, then off the top of your head you should know this ...
    tell me the origin of the 6.135 connecting rod
    I don't care about the origins of the 6.135" connecting rod. It's the product of a bygone era where most 396 cubic inch V8s would get their doors blown off my a new V6 Camry (14.5 @ 100 MPH right off the showroom floor).

The new LS7 uses forged titanium rods that weigh a feathery 480 grams. I care about THOSE rods - not a heavy, steel rod that was designed more than 4 decades ago and without the help of CAD.

Here: Step into 2007:
    http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...ng/0504sc_ls7/

"...the connecting rods are nothing short of exotic, being crafted from lightweight titanium, a first for a domestic production engine. Strength, fatigue life, and weight advantages make it the material of choice over the powdered metal rods used in the other current small-blocks. Rod weight is dropped to a flyweight 480 grams, a 30 percent savings in mass."

If you think 1960s technology is better than today's then go buy a 40 year old television set and watch it, go buy a 40 year old motorcycle and race a new one (e.g. Yamaha R1) or go buy a 40 year old outboard and race a similar boat with a new one.

And it you think that the faster cars running in the "pure stock drags" are ACTUALLY stock then e-mail the organizer of those events and ask him:

http://www.geocities.com/psmcdr/contact.html
    Last edited by zilch1; 02-09-2007 at 09:36 PM.

Wrong answer, of course it came from the 396 ... duh.

Email an engine developer or expert builder, they might tell you the answer. Then post it here as if you knew the answer
    (yes, I know the games people play on forums).

I have to tell you, someone with your vast big chevy experience should have known it.

What a poser.
    Last edited by Old Sage; 02-09-2007 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sage
    I know you've already seen the question ... having trouble finding it on the web?
    I DON'T CARE ABOUT A CONNECTING ROD THAT WAS DESIGNED FOR THE BBC IN THE EARLY 1960s!

That was more than 40 years ago and it's JUNK by modern standards.

Here's what a state-of-the-art, OEM Chevy V8 connecting rod looks like in 2007:
    http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...ng/0504sc_ls7/

"...the connecting rods are nothing short of exotic, being crafted from lightweight titanium, a first for a domestic production engine. Strength, fatigue life, and weight advantages make it the material of choice over the powdered metal rods used in the other current small-blocks. Rod weight is dropped to a flyweight 480 grams, a 30 percent savings in mass."

The new LS7 makes more power than any remotely stock ZL1 or L88 could ever dream of making.
    Last edited by zilch1; 02-10-2007 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zilch1 View Post
    That was more than 40 years ago and it's JUNK by modern standards.
    No my little friend, once again you are wrong. The LS-6/7 forged 4340 connecting rods are the same ones used today in the 454 & 502. (and unlike you, I do own a set of them)
    Last edited by Old Sage; 02-12-2007 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sage View Post
    No my little friend, once again you are wrong. The LS-6/7 forged 4340 connecting rods are the same ones used today in the 454 & 502. (and unlike you, I do own a set of them)
    So what?

They're still JUNK compared to titanium rods, as used in the new LS7.

Have you e-mailed/called Dan Jensen yet to ask him what MODIFICATIONS are permitted in the "pure stock drags?"

Read up on the PRODUCTION LINE STOCK 1971 Pontiac 455 HO and then compare the spec's to those of Dan's MODIFIED "pure stock drags" engine. He's running more cam (with a MUCH tighter LSA), more displacement (which unshrouds the valves for better flow), higher compression (9.5:1 vs the production line stock 8.4:1), forged aftermarket rods, forged aftermarket pistons, etc.

Three angle vlave jobs are also permitted in the "pure stock drags," although that may or may not be the case with Dan's engine. Then there's the custom-made (2.5" dia. mandrel bent pipes, high flow mufflers) exhaust system and the various other tweaks mentioned inthe article.

So MODIFIED (but still "pure stock" according to the rules), what was a 14.0 sec/100 MPH car is now a 12.5 sec, 110 MPH car.

EVERY reasonably fast car in that series is running similar mods and some are running more.

Thread Information