Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Literature

Literature

What novels have you read would you say are really good?

It takes me awhile to read a book when i actually do try to read a book, but what book would you say is good enough to commit the time to read? Im reading the Master and Margarita right now and it is really good. It is about the devil going to russia in the 20's or 30's and creating alot of havoc. It is weird but really interesting.

The War of The Worlds(both books)
    pondering things

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    I got an A+ in English so I'd say I'm pretty good.

All I can think of now is the Tom Clancy Series, ESPECIALLY the Opt-Centre edition(s). Wonderful stuff. More later, though there was already a recent book thread. Search for it - you might be able to get some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by spi-ti-tout
    I got an A+ in English so I'd say I'm pretty good.

All I can think of now is the Tom Clancy Series, ESPECIALLY the Opt-Centre edition(s). Wonderful stuff. More later, though there was already a recent book thread. Search for it - you might be able to get some ideas.
    I agree, Tom Clancy is great. Ok, so it's not classic literature but I like it. "The Labyrinth of Solitude" by Octavio Paz is though, I recomend it.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by spi-ti-tout
    though there was already a recent book thread. Search for it - you might be able to get some ideas.
    i did the search thing using literature and books, i must have overlooked it. my apologies. Or it was just really far back. I didnt feel like lookin through all 250 or so results i got back for books.

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by scottie300z
    i did the search thing using literature and books, i must have overlooked it. my apologies.
    No problemo mate. It's a good chance for members to add something new and for members who hadn't seen that thread to come and post their own

Unfortunately Dubai is crap for books because most of the liberaries are far, charge quite a lot, don't have that much of a selection (normally not what we teens are interested in) and don't let you borrow too many. I always have quite a hard time trying to find any decent book and it's frustrating since I love reading

The DaVinci Code- just friggin awesome.
    Into Thin Air- about the 1996 everest disaster, very detailed and well written.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

My all time favourite is Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein. He also wrote Starship Troopers which is a hundred times better than the movie. Lord of the Rings is better than the movie as well. Last Temptation of Christ is a real eye-opener. If you want something short, try Goodbye, Columbus by Phillip Roth. My pick of the Clancey novels is Red Storm Rising -- it's not quite so wrapped up in the technical stuff. If you like spooky stuff, try Stephen King's Christine or especially Pet Sematary. That book scared me senseless -- and I mean that in the best possible sense. Also very scary is William Peter Blatty's The Exorcist. Again, it's much better than the film becuase it focuses on the priest instead of the girl. And if you haven't read the Harry Potter books, you should.

I love to read and I could go on and on, but I really do hope you'll give Stranger in a Strange Land a try. It literally changed my entire viewpoint on the human race.

dammit

whenever I read, i always try to accomplis the entire series

for example when I was young and read books by eric wilson, i felt an urge to read everyone of his works. i guess the most recent good one i have read were the three bourne series of books. pretty descriptive.
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

i liked the Dutch book Karakter.perhaps you can find a translation.

The Tomorrow series by John Marsden is THE best book series i've ever read, and i've a read alotta books. I reccomend it to Tom Clancy fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    and i've a read alotta books.
    OMG i have actually read 10 books in 5 years. And i only read them because i had to from school

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    OMG i have actually read 10 books in 5 years. And i only read them because i had to from school
    WTF?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    WTF?!?!?
    ??? we have to rea literary books for school. i haven't red a single other book, for the FUN of it i hate reading

Foundation Series - Isaac Asimov
    I, Robot collection - Isaac Asimov ( the film in true Hollywood style missed the whoel point in his books )
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^ always been my all-time favourites and author.

Rebus novels - Ian Rankin
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information