Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pics from Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance

Pics from Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance

I noticed some pics from Pebble Beach already showing on UCP and since it is a great Classic Era & other cars show, I thought I would share some of my images and see what others shot while they were there.

Above is the overall winner of the show. It is an amazing car and since it is a French Tear Drop style of car, I thought it was a great choice. Below is me with the car I wanted to win because the Tabolt Lago Type 150s are among my personal all time favorite cars.

Overall I thought it was another great show. It was my fifth Pebble Beach Concours. Only the 2000 50th Anniversary show was better then this one in my opinion.

As I get more images online, I will post them. Hope others have images to share of the great cars that were there.

delage really does (did) make some beautiful cars, didnt they
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Delage, Talbot Lago, Delehaye, Isotta Fraschini, and others used the tear drop design to perfection. It was the coach builders that made these cars so stunning. Delage did make a strong engine and great chassis for their day.

i do love the idea of coachbuilding. me and a buddy actually talked about opening up a coachbuilding type shop... except it would be more like creating new old cars. the old styling, and the technology of that era. but then we realized we had no talent for building stuff that nice, and we would probably just spend every day drinking and welding stuff together into funny shapes.

I think the Chrysler Atlantic concept car was a great example of what Classic Era styling might be like on a modern platform. One of my dreams is to build a car that reflects the classic tear drop styling, but it will have all wheel drive, 500 horsepower or more, scissor doors, and all the modern features you would expect in a high end car. There are some shops that are basically modern coach builders. I know a guy that has a small company called JRD Tuning. They do everything from a small make over to a fully custom vehicle. Johan can build whatever someone dreams up.

You might be surprised at how much time some coachbuilders wasted back then. There are many stories of how some coach builders spent more time drinking and chasing women then building cars. This was one reason why some cars took a year or more to get a body built.

well, definitely some time wasting is in order. and i would love to have a modern engine in an old car. imagine an alfa romeo 6C with a 300 hp engine in it. but i think i'd rather stick with tradition. i saw something about this company called Pur Sang. an argentinian man bought all of the old plans for bugattis, and makes them to the blueprints in the same manner they were made originally. same tools, etc. and i think thats about what i would want to do. not bugattis. basically, i just want to make myself a copy of the delehaye 165. thats it

Ah I remember you shooting around the Delage. Did you see the three of us with our fancy Ultimatecarpage.com dress shirts at all?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I did not notice your UCP shirts. I just notice Ron Kimball and the rest of the people blended in. I got a kick out of how people yelled anytime someone walked into the background.

This is a great example of the range of cars displayed on the field at Pebble Beach. I doubt people who have never been to the show realize they can see something like this classic Maserati concept car.

the birdcage right next to the rossa.. i wish i had been able to go

I think for most Americans, this was the best chance to see many of the Pininfarina concpet cars.

I have been a long time fan of the 250 LM and this is a great example of one.

One of my life goals is to attend this show. I think it would be amazing.

If you make it out to here, I suggest attending the three major events, which is the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance ($125 a ticket), The Concorso ($75 per ticket), and the Monterey Historic Races ($50 plus). Then there are car auctions and other things going on. The Concorso is on the third Friday of August and the Monterey Historic Races run Friday-Sunday, and the Pebble Beach Concours is on the thrid Sunday of August. Hotels book up well in advance and charge big bucks. It is worth attending at least once if you can. For car enthusiasts it is a must attend events weekend.

Real GT40s are very rare, and this is one my favorites

Thread Information