Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Searching for elusive racing Ferrari

Searching for elusive racing Ferrari

I am currently searching for pictures from a race-going Ferrari. Even extensive googling could not help me further so far.
    This is what I know:
    The car was a private initiative, aimed at the armsrace going on with the "Silhouette"/IMSA cars, the Porsches 935 K3 and "Moby Dick", that were going to insane ends. It was not factory-backed, and I have a strong conviction the car was initiated and driven by Gianpiero "Momo" Moretti and his then usual professional top-driver, also an Italian.
    The only appearance of this car I seem to remember is on one of the 24hours of Daytona races; and its concurrents/specifics place it in the early 1980's. In this race, it caused quite a stir (which is why I wonder that I can't find pics of it), as it qualified more than reasonably, and then blasted off at a horrendous pace at the start, leading all the K3's and others for about 6 laps, before something gave in, and it had to retire.
    There is no doubt it was a turbocharged car, and memory made it an offspring of the 288 GTO, but this is highly unlikely as that would place it several years later, so an outbuild of the 308/328 G4 is much more likely.
    I do not know about any later appearance, though a more USA-oriented career is possible. The appearance of Group C cars made it more or less obsolete anyway, and Momo Moretti went to other things, before returning with his famous 333SP and other co-drivers.
    Anybody there who knows what I'm talking about?
    Thanks for clues, Joris

not this is it ?

as you can prob tell im not a ferrari guy r
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

what about his one ?

This car is a modified 308 GTB equipped with bi-turbo. It ran in Daytona in 81 if I remember (can be confirmed)...?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Philmodelcar
    This car is a modified 308 GTB equipped with bi-turbo. It ran in Daytona in 81 if I remember (can be confirmed)...?
    YES!! That's it! Thanks a thousand, Phil! (As to the "mustang" Ferrari, that is the GTO Evoluzione, much later date.

Thanks to your specs, I can correct now:
    The car was an initiative by gentleman-driver Finotto and his co-driver Carlo Facetti, rather than Momo.
    And as you suggested, the only real international appearance was on the Daytona 24 hours of 1981/
    There's more to be found here (in French):
    http://gto-racing.nexenservices.com/...rrari308BT.htm
    Cheers, Joris

Damn, that's one sweet looking car...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

I have more...

If you want more pictures, just let me know I will post original pictures of Daytona 81 and more !

I would love that, thanks. Very strangely, http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-01-photo.html which is pretty complete, does not give any evidence of the Ferrari 308GTB biturbo - they have one Ferrari listed in the GTO class, but the Facetti-Finotto car certainly wasn't a 365 "Daytona"!

Yes I will !

You should be looking more carefully... the page does show the car in the list although there is no picture. Look at the list of cars "not available on a photo", it is the number 10 in the GTX class.
    Leave me a day or two and I will post here the pictures I have. If you like this car, I can tell you that it is possible to find it in 1/43 scale and in 1/24 scale, don't know if you're a scale car collector...
    Phil

You should be looking more carefully... the page does show the car in the list although there is no picture. Look at the list of cars "not available on a photo", it is the number 10 in the GTX class.
    Leave me a day or two and I will post here the pictures I have. If you like this car, I can tell you that it is possible to find it in 1/43 scale and in 1/24 scale, don't know if you're a scale car collector...
    Phil
    I stand corrected - it's there indeed! My bad. Thanks for the trouble - I found some pics of the model cars too, but as those you attached, I find them a bit too crude to be of interest. (I'm a very modest collector of 1/43).

As promised...

Here is some of my archives. If you really need more, just let me know.

some more:

some more:
    That'll do! You rock!
    Thanks again, Joris

So does the car still exist and if so where is it?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Not sure but...

As far as I know, in the 90's it was in Italy by a private collector. I don't think the car has changed from owner since...

Thread Information