Thread: I'm thinkin'...

I'm thinkin'...

Hey all..

I don't post as much here as I'd like to, for a start, so I apologize in advance. Anyhow, I've recently found myself wishing for a second car, but a decent second car. The pipe going from the cat to the muffler on my MR2 broke apart, so now it's unbearably loud, and I'm stuck to driving my crappy old VW Fox. I've got parts, but when I can get the car in to fix it all is a different story. That old Fox won't hold together much longer (despite it being the most reliable car we have), as the years of wear are quite obvious, and soon I won't be able to drive the spare on a count of It's going to be sold soon..

Anyhow, I've been kicking an idea around in my head for a fun, yet cheap second car: An old school Beetle. However, I don't know a huge amount about beetles (Other than they're cheap, super-simple, and rear wheel drive ), and was wondering perhaps I should ask the thoughts of those who know what they're talking about. Suggestions for other cheap, yet fun cars I'm forgetting about, opinions on old VW's, etc..?

Whats his name BMW325 or whatever his name his has a sweet old Beetle, hes your man to talk to about them.

Old beetles and minis are good because they hold their value. Get a good deal on one of them and keep it in good shape and you'll probably end up making money on it by the time it comes to selling it, or at least breaking even.

I noticed that you put a smiley after RWD....you know those cars have like 63hp MAX? Don't count on spinning too many tires.

Mini's will be impossible to find for cheap. In Europe, sure, but here, no.

How about a Mitsubishi starion or Chrysler conquest? RWD, 2.6 4cyl/Turbo, about 180 HP, and I just picked one up for $1300. Starts up every time, has good AC, a nice stereo, and I just redid rear brakes and front tires, total is probably under 2g's all included. Not a bad ride for under 2g.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich
    I found a RHD mini for $2300 in awesome condition, not bad at all.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Are you sure? the cheapest i've ever seen for a mini was 5600, and that was for a stock RHD in good condition. Where the hell is yours? I might buy it!
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

Danbury, CT.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich
    I noticed that you put a smiley after RWD....you know those cars have like 63hp MAX? Don't count on spinning too many tires.

How about a Mitsubishi starion or Chrysler conquest? RWD, 2.6 4cyl/Turbo, about 180 HP, and I just picked one up for $1300. Starts up every time, has good AC, a nice stereo, and I just redid rear brakes and front tires, total is probably under 2g's all included. Not a bad ride for under 2g.

Good luck for me finding a Starion. I'm in Canada.

Anyhow, I certainly know beetles have F-all for horsepower, but I prefer rear wheel drive because it just plain feels better. I'm not looking to spin any tires.

Thread Information